Did I make a good choice?

This is a discussion on Did I make a good choice? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just recently took my chc class and am waiting for my license to come in. While I'm waiting I've been doing lots of research ...

I just recently took my chc class and am waiting for my license to come in. While I'm waiting I've been doing lots of research on holsters because I want to start out right. I'm short and heavy at 5'10 and 260 which made my decision even more difficult. I will be carrying an SR40C and finally decided on an IWB from Theis. I have seen nothing but good about these holsters so as long as it ends up being a good fit for me I'm comfortable with that decision. What I'm curious about is the belt. I ordered a Jake belt from Theis to go with the holster. After reading lots of belt threads I see lots of recommendations but haven't found anything on the theis belt. Are they just lesser known or will I be kicking myself when I order another one pretty soon?

My experience has been that any good quality belt, designed to carry a firearm, will probably work. I have belts from 5.11, Comptac, and Milt Sparks. Once the holster and weapon are on, you really don't notice the belt. You will notice the holster if it is at all uncomfortable, and you may have to move it around a bit to find the sweet spot.

Thanks, that makes me feel better.

I have heard good things about them. Look into a good belt. It is just as important as the holster. www.beltman.net These are what I use.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    My experience has been that any good quality belt, designed to carry a firearm, will probably work. I have belts from 5.11, Comptac, and Milt Sparks. Once the holster and weapon are on, you really don't notice the belt. You will notice the holster if it is at all uncomfortable, and you may have to move it around a bit to find the sweet spot.
    +1 to this, it's been my experience as well that any belt designed to carry a firearm will do the job. Here is what I currently have I it's $28 off of Amazon and it serves me well.
    Uncle Mike's Reinforced Instructor's Belt:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeChris View Post
    I just recently took my chc class and am waiting for my license to come in. While I'm waiting I've been doing lots of research on holsters because I want to start out right. I'm short and heavy at 5'10 and 260 which made my decision even more difficult. I will be carrying an SR40C and finally decided on an IWB from Theis. I have seen nothing but good about these holsters so as long as it ends up being a good fit for me I'm comfortable with that decision. What I'm curious about is the belt. I ordered a Jake belt from Theis to go with the holster. After reading lots of belt threads I see lots of recommendations but haven't found anything on the theis belt. Are they just lesser known or will I be kicking myself when I order another one pretty soon?
    Thanks for bringing up Theis holsters I'd never heard of them and after checking out their website I noticed they make an OWB hybrid holster for a S&W SD9VE which I'd been trying to find a nice OWB for that firearm for my buddy who is new to concealed carry. And after lots of research and even asking for options on the DC forum I've found out there really aren't many options available. We were going to get him a Fobus paddle holster but after seeing that Theis holster he may change his mind. Thanks!

I have never used Theis...or any for that matter so take this for what its worth...I have a couple friends that use them and rave about them. When doing my internet search I found almost 100% positive feedback about the holsters. That says a lot with as picky as us consumers are! Lol. All that and when I found out he was a vendor in my state I could support it was a no brained for me to make my first purchase from Theis.

I was hoping to find someone that had used his belts to get an opinion on them but it seems they are fairly uncommon. As I was told above, any good gun belt will be good...looks like I will be happy with my purchase. Its just nice to get opinions from people that have real world experience.

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeChris View Post
    I have never used Theis...or any for that matter so take this for what its worth...I have a couple friends that use them and rave about them. When doing my internet search I found almost 100% positive feedback about the holsters. That says a lot with as picky as us consumers are! Lol. All that and when I found out he was a vendor in my state I could support it was a no brained for me to make my first purchase from Theis.

I was hoping to find someone that had used his belts to get an opinion on them but it seems they are fairly uncommon. As I was told above, any good gun belt will be good...looks like I will be happy with my purchase. Its just nice to get opinions from people that have real world experience.
    I have carried a Theis IWB for a while now and absolutely LOVE IT. I wear it everyday and dont notice its there. The horse hide is amazing and will mold itself to your body. It will be stiff and squeaky at first but give it a week of solid carry and it will disappear.

I own an IWB for my Kahr, a brown Jake belt and will be buying a IWB mag holder, IWB for my G23 and another (black) Jake belt

I can't rave enough about Theis' products!!

It'll probably work just fine. But you won't know until YOU try it. Even something that has a bunch of good reviews can still, for whatever reason, not work so well. There's a lot to be said for individual fit, preferences and taste. When you're at the beginning of the process the biggest issue can be not knowing what those are. And that will come faster than you think.

So, cheers, have a great time and after you become an expect on your gear, be sure to help someone else here!

Links