Defensive Carry banner

Ankle Holster Help

4K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  031131 
#1 ·
So recently I have come to realize that in my professional attire (tucked in button shirt and slacks) that I can't exactly iwb so I'm thinking of exploring ankle options. As well as throwing it on for a back up from time to time to my gp100 when I know I have to visit a less then desirable area.

Anyway my plan is to use my lc9 for the ankle holster and my only concern is will it at all do any slipping down and around my ankle in an area I wouldn't really want it. What I mean is when I used to run with ankle weights after about 15 minutes they would be bouncing off of my shoes and generally just didn't stay up very well. Is this something I might encounter with an ankle holster? if so how do I get around it? Obviously I don't plan to be running around with it or anything crazy like that.

So with that said what do you all recommend? keep lc9 in mind.

oh one last thing, I have seen some indicate smooth or rough. What does this mean exactly because the holster did not indicate. I can only come to assumptions on that.

#2 ·
Hi 031131,

I'm new to this forum, my second post. I purchased a UTG ankle holster for my Last Resort Pistol, a Jennings J-22.
The holster has a calf strap that reduces movement pretty well while I walked around the house with it on.
I have found it to be comfortable so far and have thoughts of modifying with a plastic piece to run down into shoe to eliminate any movement. Thankfully, the J-22 weighs next to nothing!

I do find it difficult to access the weapon quickly while wearing Levi's 501 jeans, so I will have to update my carry attire as well.

#3 ·
Thank you for the response. Also welcome to the site. You will get a lot of good information here. I will research that holster. As far as quick access, how baggy are your pant legs? Maybe if your pants were a little baggier then you normally have them that would eliminate the problem. In theory of course as I don't know first hand. But I wouldn't expect to be quick draw McGee with an ankle holster either.

#4 ·
I have used ankle holsters before and it always felt like I had a brick taped to my leg. Even with a gun as light as the LC9. As far as accessiblity, it might as well have been taped. Wrestling with my blue jean legs to gain access was too time consuming. There are so many nice options for a tuckable IWB that virtually give no indications of a gun or holster. Check out the tuckable versions, maybe even buy 1 or 2 and see for yourself. What works for some may not work for you. Whatever you decide, the decision to carry is the most important. IMHO YMMV

#5 ·
Every one I've ever tried always slid down and then flopped around my ankle, unless I tightened it so tight that it cut off the circulation. For professional attire, get a Smartcarry, Lightningwear, Thunderwear--one of the crotch holsters. Or....get one of those bra type holsters, they are good too. I'm in the exact situation as you, and that's what I have found to work. Those are really your only choices, other than pocket carry, but it has to be a really small gun to do that well with correctly fitting slacks.

There are a couple tuckables that don't use clips, but they are basically just Thunderwear, rotated around to the hip, which you can do with Thunderwear if you want anyway.

#7 ·
Best ankle holster I've ever used (and I have a box full of failures) is the Renegade, out of Phoenix Arizona. You'll have to google it to see if they are still in business, as mine is really old.

You can carry up to a medium size revolver or pistol in them, cinched tight enough to your leg that you can run and jump etc...without any wiggle or shifting. Comfortable to wear all day too.

I'll caution you about ankle carry though or wouldn't feel like I gave you the best information. Either practice daily drawing from it, or have your SA ramped up to the point that you can get it out, and at your waist level, before needing it. A buddy of mine was robbed an gunpoint one night, and his pistol was on his ankle, and he was absolutely helpless. He never, ever carried his gun in an ankle holster the rest of his career. Just food for thought.

Be safe.

#8 ·
I'd be interested in what you go with. I also have an LC9 as a BUG and have thought about the ankle holster. Have had nothing but failures with the others I have purchased for similar guns over the years and dumped out of frustration. They all flop around.

#10 ·
For me, the only ankle holster that works, MUST lace into a boot. Not ideal for you in dress attire, but maybe theres a dress boot of some sort? I dunno. I hate shoe shopping :embarassed: Either way, a holster that laces to your boot does not move at all. I carry like this 8+ hours/day, and often run with it. It's never so much as shifted its position. This one is a Gould & Goodrich. It laces to the boot, then velcro's around the boot. It's solid as a rock. Most of the "weight" felt with an ankle holster is when it moves slightly when you walk. It amplifies the weight. I dont even know I have this on anymore. It's a PM9 that rides in it, but they have sizes available for most smaller pistols.

#11 ·
Thanks for the advice and suggestions. I will look into the renegade for sure. Yeah I'm not sure about dress boots lol. kb2wji, I like that one. It would serve for when I have to venture into less favorable areas when I'm not in my professional attire for a BUG. Yeah this is a pain to find and pocket carry would be the best option if my pockets weren't already filled with things that I use on a daily basis.

Slightly off topic, has anyone ever tried those shirts that have the build in holster? I suppose if I had to draw my gun I would be very willing to rip off some buttons.

#12 ·
Might look at a cell pal or pager pal. Then it would be inside pants but deep conceal. Quicker to get to than an ankle.

#13 ·
Remora makes a nice ankle holster that won't slip it's a 3 in1 (ankle/pocket/IWB) check them out they have a 25% off coupon code right now it's newyear25.
Here is a link to the ankle holster that would fit the LC9 it's the series #4-L ART with the 25% of it would come to around $26 before shipping.
Remora Series 4L-ART "3 in 1" Holster (Ankle / Pocket / IWB)

#14 ·
For that small size pistol I would recommend the Galco Ankle Lite holster with the additional calf strap. Very comfortable and secure. I used a similar setup when I had an LCP. I sometimes use the Galco Ankle Glove with a j frame. Secure and comfortable.

#17 ·
Ankle holsters suck in every possible way. That being said, I have used them extensively in the past, without the calf strap. In my experience, they tend to bruise your ankle right where that bone ball sticks out if you insist on having a 3 o'clock placement. I settled on more of a 4:30 placement. Nearly impossible to conceal when your pant legs ride up to sit, forget about crossing your leg. I mostly overcame these faults by wearing a thick black sock over the holster, and keeping my hand over the sock/holster. Also get your pant legs tailored a bit longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.