how much of pistol covered OWB?

This is a discussion on how much of pistol covered OWB? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking at OWB holsters, really tight to the body. A lot of designs that i've seen leave the muzzle uncovered. My thinking is that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: how much of pistol covered OWB?

I'm looking at OWB holsters, really tight to the body. A lot of designs that i've seen leave the muzzle uncovered. My thinking is that it could leave the weapon open to scratches/damage? I was looking at some of the Don Hume slide/ Barsony holsters. Maybe a pancake style holster? I'm really new to CCW, and am going through the learning process like everyone else :) So far I've had good luck with Remora, and Blackhawk pocket holsters, but i want a tighter/secure fit. I'm not so sure about IWB like Supertuk at this time.

Re: how much of pistol covered OWB?

If you are worried about your carry gun getting dinged up then leave it in the safe. If you carry your gun daily, it will show wear over time and there is no way around that.

+1
    If it's a collectors item, keep it in the safe. If you wear it consider it a tool, not a collectors item. Tools get dirty and scratches some times.

That's hard for me! Old school, didn't grow up with much, and try to keep my stuff nice. Really hard to change :)

None of my holsters expose the tip of my firearm, and they all ride tight against the body. (High Noon and Fist holsters)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You can still keep it nice. I try and keep all my belongings in nice condition but something you use everyday in such a manner will get some dings, scratches or dirty at sometime or another. I try to keep everything in "new" condition but I do realize that actually using something does put it at risk of getting scratched etc.. I respect your position completely cheezy, but it's just the nature of the animal that when you use something you are not going to be able to keep it in new condition forever.

I feel the same way about a new car. I'm one to park a new car way out in the parking lot hoping to keep it from getting dinged in the parking lot but also realize that just by using the car on a daily basis it is eventually going to get scratched, dented etc...

Re: how much of pistol covered OWB?

There is a guy out of Jacksonville Fl. that makes custom OWB and IWB holsters. Not sure if he has your blue gun or not. http://www.pantherconcealment.com

I have a couple on the build list for my HK45c. You can read plenty of reviews at the Florida Concealed Carry forum in the holster section. People seem to rave about them.

"The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

I'm not totally obsessive about my stuff, but i'm not sure how comfortable i'd be with the muzzle exposed owb. I tend to bang/bump around into stuff when i'm working around the garage and yard, so if it's on my hip, i think i better have it covered. Like i said, i've only been cc for over a yr now, and have bought some different pistols as my preferences are changing. I don't have a lot of cash for holsters, but i don't want a drawer full of junk either. This site has been a great source of knowledge for me, i spend a lot of time here, lurking and learning as i go. which would be more protective, kydex or leather?

I don't like the muzzle sticking out all over the place - but I also don't like a closed end holster. It's nice to be able to let it air out, wipe it down, make sure it's clean, etc...

There are plenty of holsters that don't have the muzzle/front sight exposed. Keep looking around. I recall a recent thread that was wondering about this same thing - might have had a poll attached? Anyhow - do a search for whatever is on your mind, and I'm sure you'll find lots of results.

Austin

Either leather or kydex will protect the gun from the outside. What you want to look for is a pancake style or scabbard style instead of a beltslide style. I do a lot of OWB hybrids and and some leather, I have transitioned a lot of mine to full coverage kydex after requests for them. For some compacts and most sub compacts it's not a big deal. For full size guns it's a bit more work. A lot of the big name hybrids lean more towards beltslides and open bottoms. They are a lot easier to build as well as a touch cheaper. You can streamline the size of the kydex to work for all your holsters instead of using different sizes. I just use about 3 different sizes to cover what I want to do.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I carry in a Vega Holster OWB. It covers the whole gun but the barrel end is open. It fits real tight against your body.

Vega Holster
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

The most serious issue with a holster that does not cover the muzzle is not scratches, dings, etc. When you sit down or brush against something, it could push up on the muzzle and cause the weapon to come out of the holster.
    BurgerBoy and sioux565 like this.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    You're right - that has happened to me before. That's why I carry a thumb break holster.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

The holsters I've settled on for OWB are made by Zlogonje - Zlogonje.com

He does excellent work, and has great customer service. His holsters ride high and tight, cover all of the slide and muzzle and have an open bottom like you want. Pricing is reasonable as well.

All my OWB holster have some sort of retention system if their going open carry.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links