Mag Carriers for CCW & IDPA?

This is a discussion on Mag Carriers for CCW & IDPA? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys, I'm going to be participating in my first IDPA match next month and need to pick up a couple magazine carriers. This, obviously, is ...

Thread: Mag Carriers for CCW & IDPA?

Guys,

I'm going to be participating in my first IDPA match next month and need to pick up a couple magazine carriers. This, obviously, is something that should come in handy during normal CCW practices, but I've been using a Leatherman pouch to let the spare mag ride horizontally rather than vertically (and have it stick up into my shirt and print when I sit or move) and have found I like that much more.

What about you guys? Any particular makes or styles you really like?

If it helps, I'm not planning on getting into the IDPA to compete, per say, but rather to use it to practice and train my skills. So, I don't need fancy gun racing gear; just something that I'll practically use when I want to carry a spare mag.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Fobus Mag Pouches...easy on/off, tight against the body, reasonable price, and fit for specific mags...they are very comfortable.
    Other than when I take one extra mag along in a 'tool pouch'...the Fobus Double Mag Pouches are all I use.

Here's what they look like: Fobus Holster: Magazine Pouches
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Also look at Dale Fricke - he makes a wide variety of mag pouches. Nice stuff, and you can get IWB, OWB, vertical, horizontal....

dalefrickeholsters.com

Austin

For IDPA you will probably want a double mag carrier. I've been doing quite a few of them here locally for the IDPA guys. I did this set a while back for a Ria a2 double stack 1911. The Glock .45 mags were identical to the Ria's.

I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I have the Fobus single mag holster and like it. I also have some from Kytex Gear and like them better. Plus, they're only $15 a piece.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    For IDPA you will probably want a double mag carrier. I've been doing quite a few of them here locally for the IDPA guys. I did this set a while back for a Ria a2 double stack 1911. The Glock .45 mags were identical to the Ria's.

Sturdy working setup to be certain. What I'm not sure about is a second piece of IWB gear. My britches are big enough already!

Quote Originally Posted by Will_Power View Post
    Sturdy working setup to be certain. What I'm not sure about is a second piece of IWB gear. My britches are big enough already!
    I hear ya. Most of the IDPA guys that I know run OWB gear like in the picture. There are two schools of thought. First is to run what you normally carry; gun, holster,mag holders and all. Second is run the same gun with OWB IDPA dedicated gear. It just depends on personal preference. IMO I don't see how guys do IWB mag holders and holster either.

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Sponsor

We have a few options for mag holsters. Inside or outside the waistband, any caliber. Metal or Kydex clips, and/or belt slots available. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359511676.094963.jpg

Tommy Theis
    TheisHolsters.com
    MyHolsters@gmail.com
    Facebook.com/TheisHolsters

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I shoot IPSC matches and use a very small camera case that has a belt loop and will hold 4 loaded mags at once. I shoot a 1911 and when one mag is emptied, I eject it to the ground while grabbing another loaded mag from the case. Move and shoot and never lose time pulling a mag from a tensioned mag holder. It works for me.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

IDPA requires that the mags be retained. They also have to be covered at least 2". How seriously that is addressed will depend on the local club putting it on.

Links