Kydex pancake?!

This is a discussion on Kydex pancake?! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why doesn't anyone make one? Why can't anyone make an OWB kydex holster that conceals as well as a leather pancake? The material is thinner ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kydex pancake?!

Kydex pancake?!

Why doesn't anyone make one? Why can't anyone make an OWB kydex holster that conceals as well as a leather pancake? The material is thinner and more rigid, am I missing something? I'm no scientician but I know there'd be a market for it (me)! The ONLY reason I use leather is because kydex and OWB don't mix for light cover garments. Leather looks and smells nice but no one's looking or smelling so I'd much prefer the speed (and cost, generally) of kydex.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    - Edmund Burke

2. Remove Ads

Fist Inc. may have what your looking for. "Kydex High ride"
    http://www.fist-inc.com/
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

That kydex high ride is an ugly thing. Does anybody know anything about that holster. I would also like something flatter made of kydex.I like my Uncle Mikes but is hard to coneal unless your wearing a jacket or coat.

Ditto my Blackhawk CQB ... I've been bit@%ing on a couple of other threads re: my carry choice and the difficulty I've had concealing well and being comfortable ... I had no idea that most of us will end up with a box of holsters before we find what works for us!

I've found leather that works, but I wonder if the holster makes could chime in on why kydex can't be made in the same style?

It looks like the FIST "HIGH RIDE" is that style, why isn't it more popular? It's ugly, sure, but how does it PERFORM? For me it looks awefully high, and I have longer arms. Has anyone tried the "DAVE SPAULDING"?
    - Edmund Burke

Lead Moderator
    I just made my first proto type pancake in kydex. Once the fine tuning is done I may start offering it for sale. Look at Galco's site too. I know they make a belt slide kydex at least.
    As for the BH Serpa, it rides well, holds great, but I do need a cover garment to conceal it too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    It seems that a Kydex pancake would work well with very little material where the belt slots are. Kydex doesnt have any flex and the end of the loops that are on the inside of the belt..on the very ends of the holster would have to be thin to be comfortable. Thats the only thing I can think of that would be a problem.
    The Belt slide/Askins Avenger style is less prone to this as the front loop is an actual loop.....which is flat against the skin.
    Rocky......Id like to see what you come up with....hope it works very well for you.
    Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Also, one of the great things about Fist is that they can make any of there holster into kydex, including their #9 basic pancake holster. If you look through their page, they talk about a "hybrid" holster where they can even put kydex on the inside and leather on the outside.

I've been pondering the same thing, why is there not a pancake made of kydex yet, all the other styles have been made in plastic.

I would like to see a prototype of one, it would be very interesting.
    Ranger Gunleather

If light rails were needed on handguns John Browning would have included it on the 1911.

Lead Moderator
    I have been working on it. this 1 was ordered by a close friend. Will see if I can get some pics before I ship.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I have been working on it. this 1 was ordered by a close friend. Will see if I can get some pics before I ship.
    Definately get some pics, wearing if possible. I'm extremely interested in this.
    - Edmund Burke

Lead Moderator
    Took em tonight, including a few on the body. Just need to get em off the camera now.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Bianchi Auccumold style holster may fit the bill for you. I have one and works much better than expected for $28 and has snaps on the loops so you can take off and on without removing your belt. Give it a try!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Accumold tends to be thick, much thicker than kydex would be, and generally has poor retention except for the thumb break. The belt snaps are also designed for a duty belt (nearly 3").
    - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by absit View Post
    Accumold tends to be thick, much thicker than kydex would be, and generally has poor retention except for the thumb break. The belt snaps are also designed for a duty belt (nearly 3").
    Mine has a thumb break and a the snaps are designed for a 1.5" belt. So they make several different types so you just need to look for the right one.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links