Using a Raven Concealment holster with your 1911? I have questions for you!

This is a discussion on Using a Raven Concealment holster with your 1911? I have questions for you! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So here's the deal. Soon as my tax refund hits my bank account I'm ordering a 1911. I'm planning on a GI model, kinda fond ...

So here's the deal. Soon as my tax refund hits my bank account I'm ordering a 1911. I'm planning on a GI model, kinda fond of the old-school, bare bones look. I'm giving some very serious thought to ordering a Raven Concealment holster after having looked at one a friend picked up. I'm not thrilled about waiting four months but they have them listed for the 1911 in their quick ship products. So here are my questions:

I'm a lefty, and that lilely means ambi safety. I can manipulate the safety with my index finger easily on the range but I have my doubts about doing it under pressure. Would it be easy to mold the body shield to fit the safety (it won't be if I get the quick ship) or would I just be better off getting it with the MD cut?

If down the road I decide to pick up a compact model, will the holster provide proper retention for it or would I need to get a second holster for it?

Thanks guys.

VIP Member
    Get the MD cut. Yes, you may have to wait a bit longer but, it's worth it not to have to fuss with it.

That's just my personal opinion. If you like messing around with kydex, do it yourself. Personally, I have better uses for my time.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I don't know too much about the Raven, never owned one, but I would get one molded to fit the safety. You could always make your own though and have less wait. I did a write-up on another forum you can check out if your interested in trying it. I can post a link if you'd like. Here is mine I made for my Les Baer.

Here is the back.

Here it is on the belt.

Les Baer Custom Carry, Kimber Pro Carry II, Kimber Custom II, Kimber TLE II, Springfield Loaded "N", Springfield Loaded "NM", Glocks

The quick ship holsters from raven concealment allow you to add the MD cut to the body shield for $5.99 extra. I placed an order for a quick ship holster for my Glock 19 with the MD cut body shield on 1/17. I just got an email from them today (1/24) that the holster is in the final finishing stage and is almost ready for shipping.

Also I was looking at one of their regular holsters for my HK USP .45 compact. They do ask how the user will run the control lever/safety with regard to molding the body shield to the safety. Because the USP is DA/SA and doesn't need the safety locked they can mold the body shield with the safety off or if I were to run my HK SA with the hammer cocked and the safety locked they could mold it that way as well.
    Last edited by beni; January 24th, 2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Added additional Info

You will absolutely hate the sights on a GI factory model 1911. They are terrible for self defense work.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    You will absolutely hate the sights on a GI factory model 1911. They are terrible for self defense work.
    I learned to shoot with a Korean War-era 1911 so I'm well aware. Yeah, they're terrible but sights are easy to swap.

Links