Trying to find a holster to mount in my vehicle for an M&P...help please!?

This is a discussion on Trying to find a holster to mount in my vehicle for an M&P...help please!? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a cheap $20 range left handed kydex holster for an M&P 40c to mount in my vehicle near my right leg on ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By guitarzNgunz
  • 1 Post By Munch

Thread: Trying to find a holster to mount in my vehicle for an M&P...help please!?

I'm looking for a cheap $20 range left handed kydex holster for an M&P 40c to mount in my vehicle near my right leg on the lower dash. I got the idea from a YouTube video by "TheYankeeMarshall" he used a Blackhack Serpa but had to modify the lock button so he didn't have to push the locking mechanism with his left hand, and suggested to find something similar without the button. So I'm looking for something with retention screws but no locking mechanism so it can be drawn with just my right hand and I like the belt loop idea.

TheYankeeMarshalls video...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyE6...e_gdata_player

Here is a holster I came across that I like because it's cheap and has the belt loops but they don't make this model for the M&P 40c? Do you know of anything similar or if one of these would work say like the Glock 26 model?

BLACKHAWK! Sportster Standard CQC Concealment Holster - BLACKHAWK!

I would just get the Serpa like TheYankeeMarshall did and modify it but they're like $35 and I don't want to spend that much.

Thanks for your help

I'm not sure if you're wanting to use clips or willing to drill a couple holes but you could use just the kydex body from CompTac or Crossbreed but you would have to drill some holes, plus side is you can use the mounting screws to set the retention. Just an option. Also could buy a couple pieces of kydex and a heat gun and do it on the cheap.

Gum Creek Customs makes a real nice rig that will allow you to use nearly any holster in your car. It mounts under the steering column, and is pretty close to universal. Might be just the ticket!
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

Quote Originally Posted by Kcabear View Post
    I'm not sure if you're wanting to use clips or willing to drill a couple holes but you could use just the kydex body from CompTac or Crossbreed but you would have to drill some holes, plus side is you can use the mounting screws to set the retention. Just an option. Also could buy a couple pieces of kydex and a heat gun and do it on the cheap.
    Yeah I don't mind drilling a couple holes I'm looking to do something similar to the YouTube video I posted, do you think that just the kydex shell from a hybrid would be enough retention?

Quote Originally Posted by Brademan View Post
    Gum Creek Customs makes a real nice rig that will allow you to use nearly any holster in your car. It mounts under the steering column, and is pretty close to universal. Might be just the ticket!
    Those look cool and would work great I bet, and the plus side is I could use an existing holster. The down side would be the price of $35. But it's something I might consider if I don't find a cheaper route. Thanks for the info!
    Brademan likes this.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    might want to look at paddle holsters. Several to choose from and should be easy to mount in a vehicle.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    Yeah I don't mind drilling a couple holes I'm looking to do something similar to the YouTube video I posted, do you think that just the kydex shell from a hybrid would be enough retention?
    Now that I hadn't considered till you mentioned it. With just kydex it would have to be pretty tight unless you line the inside of the kydex with felt or some material to give it some friction.
    Those Gum Creek mounts are really nice! Never seen those before.

Kholster Holsters: Kopilot, Car & Truck Holsters

I also saw one somewhere that you mount under the steering column but that ones iffy to me.

Look into Grassburr holsters. I have one for the Suburban.

https://grassburr.com/
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Gum Creek sold here as well

GunGoddess.com: Fun and Feminine Shooting Accessories, Apparel & Gifts for Women

You'll need a nylon or other holster with a belt loop. I found a guy on ebay that has decent nylon holsters for a good price with free shipping too.
    Brademan likes this.
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Kindly check your state law on carrying in car. In SC, for example, any kind of "mount" in the cabin of the car is illegal. Firearm must either be on you as it would be CC or must be in separate compartment--ie glove, console, trunk.

Well I ended up using an existing holster I already had it's a right handed OWB pancake style custom kydex holster with belt loops mounted to the right side of the driver seat in my 2002 Chevy Venture.

See the pics here...
    Successfully mounted a holster in my vehicle, check out the pics...
    Last edited by guitarzNgunz; January 26th, 2013 at 03:26 PM.

Sponsored Links