do you like blackhawk serpa holsters? - Page 3

do you like blackhawk serpa holsters?

This is a discussion on do you like blackhawk serpa holsters? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Serpa was my first "concealment" holster I ever purchased (not knowing any better).Carrying in a Serpa is only slightly less obvious than putting a 20lb ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: do you like blackhawk serpa holsters?

Serpa was my first "concealment" holster I ever purchased (not knowing any better).Carrying in a Serpa is only slightly less obvious than putting a 20lb turkey under your shirt.
    Richard58 and ksholder like this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Not to the degree that it is a physical impossibility to draw my weapon.
    why would debris make it impossible on a serpa? if the button gets blocked?

I love my serpa holsters, I deployed to Afghanistan (drop leg) with one and cc in the winter with one (paddle). Never had any of the problems that are being brought up here.
    Last edited by Harvester; January 25th, 2013 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Because I can!!
    Molon Labe

GH
    Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    do you have a link to this?
    I'm sorry I don't have a link but my son graduated from The MPD Academy last week & got to see his issued holster last week, AdPro. I asked him if he'd prefer a Serpa & he said they were told they're not allowed. I'm unsure of the brand of holster they're issued but it's Kydex woth a thumb release. They're quite big with the M&P 40s they carry & not suitable for concealed carry. They were also told that they couldn't use Serpas for off-duty carry with their personal weapons.

Try calling the Milwaukee Police & Fire Academy & ask for a range officer. I don't know if they'd transfer you but still worth a try. There's no police Recruit class going on now so they may be willing to talk. I met a few of them at the graduation & all seemed to know a lot about guns & tactical shooting which was expected of course.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Sorta...

I like them for a narrow range of uses. It's not a good CCW holster because it sticks out too far. I like it for range/tactical purposes, but even then, if you have one for a gun that has some weight to it, because it sticks out so far, you feel imbalanced and heavy to that side. It doesn't have the same feel as running a pancake holster. I have one for my Sig 226 and it makes the gun feel like a boat anchor on my side. In a pancake, its good to go. I think it would probably do ok on a duty belt, but certainly not for the smaller, trouser-style belts.
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

Ok yeh I definately believe if there not going to take the time to train them on this safety and proper use before they issue these holsters out whether to LEO type or in training for just whoever..Then thats not a good Idea..
    If you look on my other post I think Who else uses a Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster,someone listed an alternative whch looks good to check into and its got a different locking mechanism..
    Also there pros and cons for every thing, or every holster out there..
    As of having it OC is quicker accessible then having it in waistband...Or having it open carry ur more prone to someone taking it..
    But lets say u carry in the front or behind you,someone could either shove you up against the wall face forward or backward or tackle you and the gun you need is underneath you where you cant access it,and its tucked tightly in ur waistband to to even make it harder...
    So and as far of debris go...Dust is noT going to lock the mechanism..Just make sure to keep it clean and it should never get to that point..
    Also If you believe maybe where you live you might be in a situation where ur gonna get tackled/fall into snow or it snows alot or theres alot of dirt and rocks maybe look into a more all-around holster..

Good choice, many include both a paddle and belt option. They are a common choice with LEO's in our area. Pricing is often much less than a leather rig, and better retention to boot.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

I think it is essential for open carry. It is difficult to conceal and if your concealed I think the locking mechanism a little less important.

I do like mine.

I have the BlackHawk CQC standard holster with carbon fiber finish. This is the model without the SERPA retention. I like this holster and have carried for a few years but recently wanted an added level of security. I was on the verge of ordering the SERPA model until I started seeing all of the agencies and instructors prohibiting their use. After a little research I discovered the Safariland 6378 ALS holster which included both a paddle and belt attachment. The Safariland received some good reviews, provided the enhanced level of security and was in the same price range so I placed the order. I was very impressed with the quality of construction and ease of operation. I've only used the paddle attachment so far and it is very comfortable. I believe the Safariland ALS is a good option for those unable to use the Blackhawk SERPA model.

+ 1

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Nope. My thinking is that the trigger finger should be for the trigger and not much else.

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

I have 2 of them.I like the paddle..Not sure how someone shoots theirself using one,but,everyone is a little different

There's better systems out there, like the G-Code XST holsters.

Edge Works: XST Holsters

For me, a thumb break holster makes more sense. Your thumb is naturally driven into the unlocking mechanism on your draw. Since there's other options out there, I'll never use a SERPA.
    Spovik and cataylor like this.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

I don't like them either.

They are cheap, made of plastic, not formed to the gun. They have a button that you have to push with your trigger finger. They can jam to the point you can't get your pistol out. In general - not my thing. I got one for free with a Sig 226 I bought in 2004 or 2005 - used it with the paddle once or twice at the range. They are no good for concealing at all....

Austin

I hope so. I just ordered one. Just for carrying my HD at home. Wrong state for CC at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by thephanatik View Post
    There's better systems out there, like the G-Code XST holsters.

Edge Works: XST Holsters

For me, a thumb break holster makes more sense. Your thumb is naturally driven into the unlocking mechanism on your draw. Since there's other options out there, I'll never use a SERPA.
    This is what i have been looking for. Was going to go with one of the Safarilands before seeing this. Thanks for posting!!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links