I need an exposed holster for my son.

This is a discussion on I need an exposed holster for my son. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a 1911 holster for my youngest son that he will think is cool, that wont be covered by a short jacket, and ...

Thread: I need an exposed holster for my son.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar

I'm looking for a 1911 holster for my youngest son that he will think is cool, that wont be covered by a short jacket, and has some type of retention. Hes in his early 20s, and doesn't think much of my flap style holsters. This will be for range and camp use for now. Open carry is not legal here and he's not ready for CC yet. I prefer leather but I'm not stuck on it. So what do you have or have seen that will fit this bill? Thanks DR

Hands down my favorite OWB holster: Model 56 *Serpent™ Bianchi Leather Holsters

56_l.jpg

If you/he prefer without tumb strap (I like it for hiking and camping), they have a similar model for that: Model 57 *Remedy™ Bianchi Leather Holsters

57_l.jpg

You can sometimes find them on eBay for good deal. Both available in black or tan.

They are a quality product that doesn't collapse when the firearm is withdrawn. Depending on your model, they are also very tight at first. Just put the unloaded firearm in a stocking or thin black sock, then leave in holster overnight (stored safely somewhere). Loosens it up perfectly after wear for a day.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    For what you are describing in leather, I would recommend a Galco Fletch. He will need a good gun belt with any holster OWB. I use this holster for riding my ATV's and camping. I carry a 5" Kimber SIS in it. A good gun belt will keep it in tight to his hip and hold it there.

Galco Fletch
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Check out Pure Kustom holsters by Rocky.

Galco makes a simple range holster that might fit the bill Galco Training Holster Right Hand 1911 Government Leather Tan

Also you could get a western type rig, or a Safariland drop leg type holster and nylon belt.

Austin

I think Ive found something that we can agree on! His older brother had a Beretta 92 and altho the gun has been sold some years ago we still have the holsters. My youngest found a Safariland that he liked. Its a low riding Kydex model with a retention strap almost like a thumb break. So I put some heat on it and slid the 1911 into place. After a few heating cycles it fits like it was made for it! I may have to rethink this Kydex stuff. The gun is going to be Dura Coated Ill probably Dura Coat the body of the holster to match also. What do you guys think? DR

This is the only thing I may change. I need to put a dowel in the front sight channel to keep it straight.

My thought

If he likes it he will carry it!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Since that particular holster wasn't designed for a 1911, the one thing you need to really check is that nothing will come in contact with the thumb safety and possibly swipe it off.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Since that particular holster wasn't designed for a 1911, the one thing you need to really check is that nothing will come in contact with the thumb safety and possibly swipe it off.
    Thats one of the first things I checked! DR

This is how I carry my 1911 concealed in florida, Galco combat master and Duluth trading co. Long tail teesImageUploadedByTapatalk1362456114.522694.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1362456134.306249.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dewfang View Post
    This is how I carry my 1911 concealed in florida, Galco combat master and Duluth trading co. Long tail teesImageUploadedByTapatalk1362456114.522694.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1362456134.306249.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Until he gets more comfortable with a hand gun and gets a CCW I don't want him to get hung up on a weapons charge by accidentally covering it with a jacket. This holster holds it low and out from the body. There's also a kit for Thigh mounting the gun made by Safariland. This should be very obvious on a 5'5" 130 lb Guy! DR

Sponsored Links