How deep do you carry your pistol?

This is a discussion on How deep do you carry your pistol? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My White Hat holster (crossbreed style) has about 6 mounting levels. I've been carrying with the kydex even with my waist band. I've since dropped ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By rednichols
  • 1 Post By Snatale42
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker

Thread: How deep do you carry your pistol?

My White Hat holster (crossbreed style) has about 6 mounting levels. I've been carrying with the kydex even with my waist band. I've since dropped it down a notch which lets the pistol sit down about 3/4" lower. It changes how I grab it to draw and got me thinking.

Is this just a compromise between a quick grab and draw vs concealability?

What do you prefer and why?

It will conceal best if the grip is underneath your belt - the higher it is the easier it will be to draw from. It's a compromise.

I like to be able to get a full grip on my pistol - which means I need enough height to get my fingers in between my belt and the grip. For most guys that carry at 4:00 or so I don't think it's as much of an issue, since they have a lot of cant built into the holster already so the grip is up above the belt line.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I like to be able to get a full grip on my pistol - which means I need enough height to get my fingers in between my belt and the grip.
    It IS the obvious answer; not even any point in rephrasing it.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

VIP Member
    A 20-degree forward cant allows a very low ride combined with an ease of grip while affording excellent concealment on my edc guns. Mark at Midworld Gunleather made a kydex holster for my DeltaPoint-equipped Glock 17/19, and it is absolutely perfect. The bottom of the sight rides 1/16" above the top edge of my pants, the grip cants forward far enough to allow a flawless, easy grip and draw, and it is contoured enough to be all-day comfortable. All this with great concealment through the entire range of activities and motion.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Different guns and holsters are different, but there is no purpose of carrying a gun you can't get to quickly. Most guns carried at 3:00-4:00 with a 15-20 forward can't should hide very well and be very accessible. If you can't get your fingers under the grip, it's too low.
    hogdaddy likes this.

My CBST rides with the kydex just above the top of the jeans, biggest advantage is reholstering. I can get a full grip on the grip when drawing.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Carry in a old faithful holster in the 2nd hole. The kydex is about 3/4 of a inch above my jeans and makes it very easy to grip/ reholster gun.
    Every saint has a past
    Every sinner has a future

Ideally, I already have my pistol in my hand at eye level when trouble arrives. When trouble is miles away and I'm dressed in nothing but a Speedo swimsuit, I like it to be completely, invisibly concealed. The very nature of concealed carry is a continuous and very personal series of compromises. Those compromises include what; handgun, caliber, holster, belt, clothes, etc. etc. that works best...for YOU. For me to address your question, I would want to know if you carry a revolver or an autoloader, what size, if it's SA, DA/SA or "safety-triggered", if it's got an exposed hammer, bobbed or is striker-fired, what cover garments do you have to clear, what style & material of grips that you prefer...(again) etc., etc.

IMHO, there's a BUNCH of details that you've omitted. To answer your question "Is this just a compromise between a quick grab and draw vs concealability?" - my answer is clearly - YES!
    stevenshizzle likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

CBST with the kydex just a smidge below the top of my jeans, with maximum forward cant. I can just get my fingers under the grip of my XDsc because of the cant, and it is almost invisible even in a lightweight overshirt.

Having it that low makes reholstering a bit more difficult because the top of the jeans will pull in just a bit once you draw. I'm considering raising it up one hole and seeing if that helps, although to this point the ease of reholstering hasn't really been a big consideration for me.

Just deep enough so others can't see my pistol but where I can lay hands on it a flash if needed.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Links