Great Holster (for me)

This is a discussion on Great Holster (for me) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased a Black Hawk CQC with serpa retention. I have been eyeing this holster for over a year, but have never been sure ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Holster (for me)

Great Holster (for me)

I recently purchased a Black Hawk CQC with serpa retention. I have been eyeing this holster for over a year, but have never been sure about purchasing it; well, that was a mistake that I fixed a week ago. So far this is probably the most comfortable holster I have. The reason that I have found that I like it is because it does not take up much real-estate on my belt. Other OWB holster that I have take up more room on my belt...I guess the theory is that this helps stabilize the holster, but it became a problem for me when I sat down in chairs or especially in my car; it would shift or get pushed around because it was so broad and it became uncomfortable. Just wanted to say this holster works great for me.

2. Remove Ads

any pics???????
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    The only negative that I have seen mentioned on those holsters is the possiblity of debris getting into the release mechanism rendering the pistol unavailable. While this shouldn't happen in normal conditions, but consider what might happen should you wind up in a ground fight prior to deploying, or attempting to deploy, your weapon.

Just something to consider...
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

I just got one yesterday for my glock 23. So far I feel the same way you do. the open front design makes it easier to draw because you don't have to clear the top of the holster.

here is a photo.

There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    how tight does it hold the butt of the firearm to your body? I am thinking in terms of concealibility.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Lead Moderator
    I have 1. I find the paddle holds the holster closest to the body. About as tight as any other CCW holster and much better than the Fobus holster.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

In regards to how close it holds the butt of the pistol to my body, well, I have one other holster that holds the pistol firmly against my body with zero gap (pistol constantly touching me) while the BlackHawk CQC does not hold that close it is just as concealable (with my cover garment). The gap on the Blackhawk is roughly 1/4 of an inch from my body , however it is so much more comfortable. sorry not for posting a pic...looks like another member got to it before I realized. I would post a picture of my specific rig but don't have a digital camera.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Are they still for Glocks only? Sure would be nice if they expanded to others, like H&K.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Are they still for Glocks only? Sure would be nice if they expanded to others, like H&K.
    BlackHawk makes their CQC Serpa holsters in a variety of configurations. I have one for my XD and my 1911s. This might interest you.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product_det...uct_id=4252&d=

VIP Member
    I have an LE buddy that carries one exclusively with his Glocks....he loves the holster.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    i have one for my USP Compact. this is my favorite OWB holster. i highly recommend it.

if you use it for IDPA, some may recommend that you don't get the retention version. IMHO, the release button is positioned so that you can unholster it just as quickly as you could without one. in short, i highly recommend the retention version.

-ayan

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I have one for the 1911's....
    Very well made and fast rig, however it does protrude further than I personally like....
    I have a Safariland Yaqui style for the 220 / 226 that holds her in nicely, but gives up a retention device of any kind in the process...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    BlackHawk makes their CQC Serpa holsters in a variety of configurations. I have one for my XD and my 1911s. This might interest you.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product_det...uct_id=4252&d=
    Wonder why they have holsters for the HK2000 and the USP compact, but not the full size? I'm guessing the compact would not work with a full size?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I recently purchased a SERPA and I love it. I carry the full size USP .45. It works soo well that the retention system engages when I holster the weapon. I carry all day (meetings, driving) with no fatigue. I had the option of the thin or wide paddle and since I'm 6'3" 280# I chose the wide. It was very hard to find a cc holster for this weapon with a reasonable price ($50 new incl. belt option accessory). With this holster you do need to take some to practice with the retention system regularly to gain confidence.

I just recommended this holster to a guy in another thread. He was trying to chose between belt or paddle. I advised him that, with this holster (CQC series), you can have both. Love the holster but it just ain't pretty; even with the carbon fiber finish. Bought it for my glock which ain't pretty either. They belong together.

I like leather holsters and metal guns. Yes, I'm older and won't change but I won't argue against a combo that works and this works.

Can't complain about durability though. I've had it for almost a year and don't see a major scratch on it. I am lefthanded so I know I have hit it several times while exiting my vehicle.

Chuck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links