Roll your own holster.

This is a discussion on Roll your own holster. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by WarMachine Welcome teach! That's a cute baby in your avatar. (I have a 2yr old daughter) I was looking at making a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Roll your own holster.

Quote Originally Posted by WarMachine View Post
    Welcome teach! That's a cute baby in your avatar. (I have a 2yr old daughter) I was looking at making a belly band style holster for summer carry since I like to wear basketball shorts. There is a lot of good info on the net to make a good functional holster on the cheap.
    Thanks she is my pride and joy, one of the main reason I am getting my ccw.

2. Remove Ads

Also, there are some great vids on youtube that you would do well to check out. PhillyEDC does some great vids. I blame him for this mess I've gotten myself into.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

If you dont get around to making your own RKBA makes nice leather holsters under $70 that are as good as any ive seen for twice the cost. He's a good guy too

Home - RKBA Holsters

Thought I would give you all an update on what I am doing for my diy holster.

So far I have got on the Springfield leather site and ordered their 4x8" kydex samples. I thought that was pretty awesome to try my hand at kydex for free.

And this is what I have done for the back half.

I used some leather scraps I bought at hobby lobby to cut the main shape and then backed it with buckskin for comfort.

Next I plan to trim the edges and then lace the edge with paracord. (Its always good to have extra paracord on your person).

Following that I am going to mold the kydex to my gun and attach it using chicago screws or rivits.

Then I am going to make some leather loops or kydex clips to attach it to my belt. I am hopefully going to make it tuck-able.

FWIW, dual purpose (IWB and OWB) holsters are almost always a compromise. To get the best of both worlds just make 2 dedicated holsters. You may have enough space for the maglight. But real estate on a holster is at a premium. A separate holster may be better too. The belt loops on your pants will determine some of that. The 4"x 8" should be enough for the gun. It's the size I started with. I've adjusted that somewhat for some guns. The easiest way to do the leather loops would be to sew, rivet, or screw them on so that you thread the belt through. Another option is to learn how to set pull the dot snaps. Stay away from Line 24 snaps on loops.

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by teach View Post
    Thanks she is my pride and joy, one of the main reason I am getting my ccw.
    My wife and I got our CHL once we decided to start a family. It was a great decision considering at the time I was working third shift.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    FWIW, dual purpose (IWB and OWB) holsters are almost always a compromise. To get the best of both worlds just make 2 dedicated holsters. You may have enough space for the maglight. But real estate on a holster is at a premium. A separate holster may be better too. The belt loops on your pants will determine some of that. The 4"x 8" should be enough for the gun. It's the size I started with. I've adjusted that somewhat for some guns. The easiest way to do the leather loops would be to sew, rivet, or screw them on so that you thread the belt through. Another option is to learn how to set pull the dot snaps. Stay away from Line 24 snaps on loops.
    Thanks for the great info chiefjason. I think I will steer away from the dual purpose and just look on the mag light, maybe I can put it on my OWB or just make a seperate one for my mag light and leatherman. I dont really need it I just thought it would be handy to have.

Here are a couple I have done for lights and my light/pepper spray holster for work. The double was probably the 3rd or 4th holster I made.

Roll your own holster.

Those look great chief I think I may make one for my mag light and leatherman to go on the opposite side of my revolver. I may actually do those first to practice for my holster.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links