Roll your own holster.

Roll your own holster.

This is a discussion on Roll your own holster. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have two problems 1. I am cheap 2. Due to problem 1 I like to make my own stuff. Including holsters. So here ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Roll your own holster.

Roll your own holster.

So I have two problems

1. I am cheap
    2. Due to problem 1 I like to make my own stuff. Including holsters.

So here is the deal I have decided to make my own IWB holster out of leather but Im starting to think a hybrid would be a ton easier, do you all know a good place to find kydex cheap preferably pre-molded to a taurus 651 (aka j-frame)

how to make a duct tape holster - YouTube This depends on whether or not you are too cheap to buy duct tape.
    sebring, bigmacque and Hopyard like this.
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

aus71383 and BurgerBoy like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

DIY Gun Holster Chapter 2 - YouTube

Everything is on the internet...

Austin

Molded kydex? no.

But Springfield leather and knife kits are good place to buy it by the sheet. Amazon too. Springfield leather is a great company to deal with.

I'll tell you this. It can be done on the cheap. Nothing wrong with that. But if you get into it, the sky is the limit. I am turning a desire to make a couple holsters into a part time job. I've spent a grand or more on tools in the last year building my workshop up. Just rolling money back into it to make my life a little easier along the way.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Munch View Post
    how to make a duct tape holster - YouTube This depends on whether or not you are too cheap to buy duct tape.
    This may be just a little too cheap however I am going to have to try it now. (not for my carry gun though lol)

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have already googled it and watched the youtube videos on how to work with it I just wanted some insight on reputable dealers that others here on the forum have used. Not to sound rude but I know how to use google.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Molded kydex? no.

But Springfield leather and knife kits are good place to buy it by the sheet. Amazon too. Springfield leather is a great company to deal with.

I'll tell you this. It can be done on the cheap. Nothing wrong with that. But if you get into it, the sky is the limit. I am turning a desire to make a couple holsters into a part time job. I've spent a grand or more on tools in the last year building my workshop up. Just rolling money back into it to make my life a little easier along the way.
    This is the reply I am looking for I will most defiantly check out Springfield leather. Also I don't mind the idea of making a little cash on the side making holsters, I like to make money even more than I like to save it.

Old Faithful sells parts, but I don't know that you can do it much cheaper than simply buying their Quick Assembly Kit for $39.97.

Hip Holster | Gun Hip Holsters | Old Faithful Holsters
    bigmacque likes this.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Well, I bought a Don Hume IWB holster for $20 at a gun show last year for my SR9c. Does the job very nicely and was cheap.

However, I have a "holster fetish" and I have to buy or build my own every chance I get. I bought a piece of leather from
    Brettuns Village Leather - Great leather at low cost! and have enough to make 2 or 3 simple holsters from a roughly 16" X 16" piece. The piece I bought was "regular" temper and 3/32" thick. Stiff enough for the (first) holster I made...

Rear View no SR9c.jpgFront View with SR9c.jpgInside Jacket with SR9c.jpgFront View no SR9c.jpg
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

I'll second Old Faithful Holsters You can do a pre-molded kit for less than $40 and you get a quality holster in the end. If you want to mold your own, you can save another $10!. The reality is, by the time you get materials, spend your time, ship different things you'll spend more than just buying an "Almost Done" kit.

Molding kydex is not hard, making it comfortable to wear IWB is.

My attempt at an IWB holster left me looking like Quasimoto with a hump on my hip.

Quote Originally Posted by Munch View Post

Gangsta Holster....lmao.....
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

Quote Originally Posted by acepilot View Post
    Well, I bought a Don Hume IWB holster for $20 at a gun show last year for my SR9c. Does the job very nicely and was cheap.

However, I have a "holster fetish" and I have to buy or build my own every chance I get. I bought a piece of leather from
    Brettuns Village Leather - Great leather at low cost! and have enough to make 2 or 3 simple holsters from a roughly 16" X 16" piece. The piece I bought was "regular" temper and 3/32" thick. Stiff enough for the (first) holster I made...

Rear View no SR9c.jpgFront View with SR9c.jpgInside Jacket with SR9c.jpgFront View no SR9c.jpg
    Those look pretty sweet good job. Other than being cheap I do like the fact that I can look at something and say I made it. It just gives a since of accomplishment.

Also I looked at the old faithful and I am planning on comparing the price to get the stuff to make my own and just buying theirs before I move to far. But If I get the supplies I can not only build one for my carry gun but also make one for my Taurus model 66 and for my buddies.

Oh and BTW thanks for all the replies, Im new here and quickly realizing this is a great place to learn.

Welcome teach! That's a cute baby in your avatar. (I have a 2yr old daughter) I was looking at making a belly band style holster for summer carry since I like to wear basketball shorts. There is a lot of good info on the net to make a good functional holster on the cheap.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Check here for kydex and parts:

KnifeKits.com™ : Knife & Gun Making Supplies and Tools Sheath & Holster Making

I've made several kydex holster (OWB) and it's pretty easy using just hand tools. Making a press is the hardest thing.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links