Grip Safety Cover

Grip Safety Cover

This is a discussion on Grip Safety Cover within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to this so I'm nervous. I think that I've decided to purchase a Springfield XD 9mm. I don't like that it doesn't have ...

Thread: Grip Safety Cover

Grip Safety Cover

I'm new to this so I'm nervous.

I think that I've decided to purchase a Springfield XD 9mm. I don't like that it doesn't have a safety "switch," but feel OK given the dual safeties of the trigger and grip.

However, do they make a holster that provides some sort of cover for the 1911/XD style grip safety?

I have this image of the trigger safety being depressed, because if the trigger is pulled the trigger safety automatically goes with it, and putting my hand on the grip of the gun resulting in it just going off.

I guess there's not much way that the trigger could be pulled while in a sturdy leather holster, though, right?

no unless you decide to reholster with finger on trigger other wise it should be a issue i carried a xd for about 6 months

I thought there was still a safety "in between" those two. Even if you depress the grip safety, you still have to pull the trigger for a good .25in before the firing pin safety disengages. It basically like a glock, only that the XD has the grip safety feature.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Ok...youre new at this. Relax....take a deep breath and say "OOHHMM!" Any good holster that covers the trigger guard is really all you need. K? Everyone of us felt the kind of anxiety you have when we first started carrying. It will go away in time.

Trust me..........I once played a Dr on TV! Seriously I did! :D

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Try this "UNLOAD" repeat "UNLOAD" the pistol, pull the slide back, release the slide, stick it in a backpack full of loose objects. Socks pencils, pens, a tennis shoe, whatever. (stick a pencil in the trigger even) Carry it and throw it around for a day or so. Bet you find that it has not went off. Had to convince someone that a cocked & locked 1911 was safe one time.

In addition to AnimalKracker's comment, you could just get some snap-caps to help get the feel of it. I did for my handgun so I could the get "the feel" of carrying a loaded gun WITH the safety on. Of course, I did this in my house. I didn't go outside. If someone came up to me and all I had was snap-caps, I would be one sorry person.

Ditto what the above said in reference to any holster with a covered trigger-guard should be sufficient; but adding that you really don't want a holster with a strap that covers the backstrap for any gun. A thumb-break on a holster should cover the rear of the slide. Any thumb-break or strap that covers the backstrap area is interrferring with a good intial grip. Any well designed holster should allow you to aquire your actual firing grip on the pistol while it is still holstered, prior to the draw; and you should not have to change or adjust your grip at any time between the holster and the target. You cannot acheive a good intial first contact grip on the pistol if a piece of holster leather is between you and the gun.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Lead Moderator
    Practice holstering, drawing and reholsering with empty gun in the house. You will get comfortable with the gun after a while.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

One more thing go out and shoot it. If you have a friend that knows firearms bring along, to watch you, if not shoot and watch your trigger finger, get comfortable with your weapon. P.S. GOD LUCK!

Thanks all.

ooooohhhhhhhmmmmmm.

Links