What's a good budget OWB holster?

This is a discussion on What's a good budget OWB holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm trying to help a friend who is new to concealed carry find an OWB holster. He has a S&W SD9VE. He is thinking around ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What's a good budget OWB holster?

I'm trying to help a friend who is new to concealed carry find an OWB holster. He has a S&W SD9VE. He is thinking around or under $50. He is looking at the Fobus Standard Paddle model SWMP as seen here... Fobus Standard Holster RH Paddle SWMP S&W M&P 9mm, .40, .45 (compact & full size), SD 9 &40:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors it has good reviews just wondering what you guys and gals think? Also was looking at Theis Holsters the Cowhide OWB hybrid it's at the top of his price range at $55 though... http://theisholsters.com/holsters.php or what do you think about the Remora OWB? I love their IWB original clip-less models but haven't heard much about the OWB models? But at $30 they are in the right price bracket. http://www.remoraholsterstore.com/Pr...Code=OWB10-ART

Got any other suggestions for a holster that will accommodate the SD9VE?

Thanks and God bless,
    gNg

2. Remove Ads

OWB Holster

I just ordered a OWB/IWB from firearmholster.com. Gavin is the owner. Once I ordered it he had the holster finished and mailed in 3 days. The holsters are both IWB and OWB. I was concerned over the felt backing but it is VERY comfortable to wear. The cost is $40 + $5 shipping. The double mag holders are $25 + $5 shipping. Check them out.

I own a sig 2340 that is close to the same size gun as your friends and I would not feel comfortable using my fobus holster for cc carry. My muzzle sits to low in it and would be alright for an open carry holster or with a longer jacket such as a winter coat or a sports jacket. With normal clothing the muzzle would be spotted to easily. I would try to convince him either to go with a IWB or to look at OWB holsters that allow the firearm to sit higher up on the hip then the fobus paddle.

Just my .02

The Galco Matrix M7X is very inexpensive and works quite well. Its main negative is that it does not cover the barrel.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Re: What's a good budget OWB holster?

Check out Don Hume - J.I.T. Slide, Galco Matrix M5X, or Uncle Mike's Kydex (tactical) holsters.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Ben Hennessy likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

You might want to check out JBP Holsters. I recently bought an IWB and OWB for my Glock 36 from them for a bit less than $100 for both. They appear to be good quality leather, well made and nicely fitted to the gun. I can't imagine finding better for the price.

I don't have a pic of the OWB handy but here's the IWB. It's a "Summer Special" style.

Mike

“Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense.”
    John Adams (Americas 2nd US President)

Lately I have been liking the Black hawk 3 slot leather pancake holster with thumb break.

BlackHawk CQC 3 Slot Pancake Belt Holster Right Hand 1911 Government

It is available for around 50 bucks. Not sure if it is made for that model. Leather pancakes are very comfortable for me.

Since he is carrying a full frame gun I would look for a high ride pancake holster to keep the muzzle from riding below a shirt. I have an old pancake for my glock 22 that has the makers brand worn off but it work amazingly well even with a light coat.

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Check out Don Hume - J.I.T. Slide, Galco Matrix M5X, or Uncle Mike's Kydex (tactical) holsters.

+1

I like the don Hume jit nice little rig for under $25 on eBay
    G

Quote Originally Posted by ss13of View Post
    I just ordered a OWB/IWB from firearmholster.com. Gavin is the owner. Once I ordered it he had the holster finished and mailed in 3 days. The holsters are both IWB and OWB. I was concerned over the felt backing but it is VERY comfortable to wear. The cost is $40 + $5 shipping. The double mag holders are $25 + $5 shipping. Check them out.
    That's a pretty good price, could you post a pic of the holster on you OWB? Because he would like to see how high it rides, he would be trying to conceal while OWB.

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post

He was leaning toward kydex because he is worried leather will show more wear on the firearm, do you find this to be true? We also couldn't find a model for the SD9VE by Don Hume do you know if they make one for it or not? He likes the Galco but we're wondering how the SD9VE ride in it, whether or not the barrel would protrude out of the bottom and if it would be a higher ride than compared to the Fobus or not? And the Uncle Mike's looks good too! I emailed them to ask about what size is for the SD9VE if any. Thanks for all the awesome suggestions!

Re: What's a good budget OWB holster?

This is gonna sound like I work for them, but I don't. Panther Concealment out of Jacksonville, Fl. http://www.pantherconcealment.com

Not sure if they have your blue gun but I'd sure check it out. I ordered an OWB and an IWB from them for my HK45c after reading rave reviews at the Florida Concealed Carry forum. I'm so glad I did. I haven't even worn the IWB yet due to the fact I haven't had a reason to. The OWB rides high and tight, really tight to the body. Have no problem wearing kaki shorts or jeans. Covers quite nice with just a t-shirt. Comfortable as hell and easy to slip on or off. I swear in my opinion for the price, around 50, you can't go wrong.

Sorry so pic heavy, their just worth so much more than words. Happy hunting.

"The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"
    guitarzNgunz and mdrums like this.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    He was leaning toward kydex because he is worried leather will show more wear on the firearm, do you find this to be true? We also couldn't find a model for the SD9VE by Don Hume do you know if they make one for it or not? He likes the Galco but we're wondering how the SD9VE ride in it, whether or not the barrel would protrude out of the bottom and if it would be a higher ride than compared to the Fobus or not? And the Uncle Mike's looks good too! I emailed them to ask about what size is for the SD9VE if any. Thanks for all the awesome suggestions!
    Not sure if they have one to fit. I looked them up but couldn't find a match. The Galco rides pretty close for a paddle holster. Not real high, but but not low either. The Uncle Mikes comes with both a paddle mount and a belt mount. I prefer the belt slide mount, although it tends to ride away from your body a little more, not so tight against you which makes concealment a little more difficult. With a baggy enough shirt, it's not so much problem. I have an Uncle Mikes that I use with a Glock 26 and like it because I don't feel the gun pressing up against my side. I mainly like the Don Hume J.I.T. slide and use it sometimes for the Glock 26, but mainly for a Kahr PM9, a Ruger LCR, and a Springfield XD9sc.

They may not make any of these for the SD9VE.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Don Hume pancake style holster or a High Noon is what I use most of the time.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Don't forget Crossbreed. They make OWB holsters as well. I ordered one for my G-19, and it should be here in the next 2-3 weeks. They ran a discount on New Years day and it was close to your price range.
    Check the website for seconds.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links