About to give up on pocket carrying my PF-9

This is a discussion on About to give up on pocket carrying my PF-9 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After trying dozens of different types of pants and jeans, I'm coming to terms with the fact that pocket carry may not be for me. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: About to give up on pocket carrying my PF-9

After trying dozens of different types of pants and jeans, I'm coming to terms with the fact that pocket carry may not be for me.

The gun I'm trying to conceal is a PF-9. I've tried Carhartt, C.E. Schmidt, dress pants, slacks, cargo pants, military fatigues, etc. No matter what, it's plainly obvious that there is something larger than a cell phone or wallet in my pocket. The only thing that is remotely successful is cargo pants/shorts. I made a leather cargo pocket holster which keeps the gun secure, but walking makes the whole pocket kinda swing and it hits me in the leg. Not very good if I ever had to run.

I almost bought a DeSantis Nemesis but it's both thicker and larger than my current holster, so I don't know how that would help any.

Now that my rant is over, can anyone suggest a certain brand of jeans/pants that have decent pockets for carry? How do all you folks do it and make it look so easy?

Eric

Re: About to give up on pocket carrying my PF-9

Take a look at Recluse holsters, they have some interesting variations on pocket carry holsters.

IWB may be a better choice for that size of pistol your carrying.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Have you seen the kydex pocket holster these guys make for the PF9?
    Grandfather Oak Stockdesigns

Nick
    Retired FBOP
    NRA Life member

you need to down size your gun for true pocket carry. the p3at and/or p32 makes for real pocket carry. the pf9 is just a little to big for true pocket carry. the pf9 is a good gun for inside the pants carry.
    SIXTO, Rcher, 383 and 2 others like this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Administrator
    Frank is right.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    you need to down size your gun for true pocket carry. the p3at and/or p32 makes for real pocket carry. the pf9 is just a little to big for true pocket carry. the pf9 is a good gun for inside the pants carry.
    That is why I went with the LCP instead of the LC9. I would rather carry a 9mm than a .380, but in some clothes pocket carry is the only option and the slight difference in size was enough to make a huge difference.

It absolutely has to do with the size of gun AND the type of pants. I bought a Kahr PM9 for pocket carry but went to a gun store to see if it would fit in the pants I planned to wear it with before I bought it. I usually wear 5.11 Taclite Pros and even with those pants, there are some variables in pocket sizes so that I can't carry in some pairs. Dockers are not a problem. Jeans (Levis) don't work either.

Quote Originally Posted by Badwolf75 View Post
    Take a look at Recluse holsters, they have some interesting variations on pocket carry holsters.

IWB may be a better choice for that size of pistol your carrying.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    That's an interesting trigger block design they have.

I'd carry IWB but for some reason, my pants seem to be tighter than they used to

Quote Originally Posted by nikdfish View Post
    Have you seen the kydex pocket holster these guys make for the PF9?
    Grandfather Oak Stockdesigns

Nick
    I may try making one of those myself. I just bought a bunch of kydex and have been looking for an excuse to make something

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Frank is right.
    Ideally, I'd like to stay with 9mm since I'm not a fan of .380. I've read so many people on the forums who pocket carry their PF-9 and I was hoping I'd find the right combo of holster and pants.

I'd also love to get a stainless S&W model 60 for pocket carry, but I can't figure out how to grow a money tree

Eric

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Bigger pants =bigger pockets but may look silly

Re: About to give up on pocket carrying my PF-9

I pocket carry 90% of the time and haven't bought any special pants, but ive also never cared that you can see I have something in my pocket, as long as it doesn't scream gun. Pocket holster breaks my lcr up enough that it just gives a squarish print. Ive even carried my m&p compact in my front pocket, still not a gun print but it was much thicker.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    stevez likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by emr454 View Post
    I'd carry IWB but for some reason, my pants seem to be tighter than they used to
    For me the PF9 is so flat that I almost forget about it when carried appendix, you might try that.

I don't carry it much, but it's nice to have when what I'm wearing doesn't lend itself to concealing the larger guns, or in case I'm going to be very active (like yardwork or exercise).

I am in the same boat as you. I cannot poclet carry for the world. My hand doesnt even fir in some of my pockets. I would try a good IWB holster. I am currently using a foxx Holster Hybrid and I love i. I wrote a review on it here.... Foxx Holsters Hybrid IWB review.

In the mean time, with the cold weather pocket carry in a jacket pocket may be a better alternative. I use a nemesis and just toss it in and go.

FWIW. I "cargo" pocket carry a PF-9 in the 5.11 pants I have listed below. They have an inside pocket in the cargo pocket that a PF-9 with a "belt clip" fits perfectly into. It acts like a built-in holster. No walking flop. They are a bit pricey. (workplace supplied uniform)

Here's the pants:
    5.11 Tactical Mens Ripstop TDU Pants at Galls

Check out post #20 for a picture of the inside cargo pocket:
    Kel tec PF9

Quote Originally Posted by rwponline View Post
    For me the PF9 is so flat that I almost forget about it when carried appendix, you might try that.

I don't carry it much, but it's nice to have when what I'm wearing doesn't lend itself to concealing the larger guns, or in case I'm going to be very active (like yardwork or exercise).
    Appendix carry, for me, is comfortable as long as I'm standing or walking. As soon as I have to sit or drive it jabs me in the gut.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    I am in the same boat as you. I cannot poclet carry for the world. My hand doesnt even fir in some of my pockets. I would try a good IWB holster. I am currently using a foxx Holster Hybrid and I love i. I wrote a review on it here.... Foxx Holsters Hybrid IWB review.

In the mean time, with the cold weather pocket carry in a jacket pocket may be a better alternative. I use a nemesis and just toss it in and go.
    I do like to carry in a jacket pocket in the winter. It's very good for short trips out to town, to the store, etc. Also easier to access when sitting in a car.

Quote Originally Posted by ofdesp View Post
    FWIW. I "cargo" pocket carry a PF-9 in the 5.11 pants I have listed below. They have an inside pocket in the cargo pocket that a PF-9 with a "belt clip" fits perfectly into. It acts like a built-in holster. No walking flop. They are a bit pricey. (workplace supplied uniform)

Here's the pants:
    5.11 Tactical Mens Ripstop TDU Pants at Galls

Check out post #20 for a picture of the inside cargo pocket:
    Kel tec PF9
    I'm VERY tempted to get some of these pants. I don't have the pocket clip on my PF9 but that looks like it would be perfect!

The main reason I started this thread was because I have to go to a wedding at the end of March, and even though I can easily fit my gun in the suit pants pocket, its noticeable. Not necessarily "gun-shaped", but large and bulky nonetheless. If I thought I'd keep my suit coat on all night then IWB would work fine.

Eric

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Semiautos will print more than a revolver because of the lines. Try a pocket holster that helps break up the outline. Try relaxed fit jeans. Stay with darker colors because they tend to hide lumps and corners. I suspect that part of your problem may be paranoia about what people "see" in your pocket. Other people carrying may pick it out as a gun but I suspect most of them won't either. As far as the general public.......they don't see because they don't care.
    Richard58 and hek1620 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links