Slim or Reinforced Mouth [ttgunleather] - Help me choose.

This is a discussion on Slim or Reinforced Mouth [ttgunleather] - Help me choose. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm trying to decide between one of the two following holsters. Slim XC Reinforced mouth IWB Holster "Mikes Special" I've talked with Tim over at ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: Slim or Reinforced Mouth [ttgunleather] - Help me choose.

Slim or Reinforced Mouth [ttgunleather] - Help me choose.

I'm trying to decide between one of the two following holsters.

Slim XC

Reinforced mouth IWB Holster "Mikes Special"

I've talked with Tim over at ttgunleather to see what the difference is, here's his reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    The reinforced model is what I recommend for law enforcement and those who do a lot of range use with their IWB holster. If you are just looking for the most comfortable IWB holster for everyday wear I would recommend the Slim XC.
    I'm hoping someone with a ttgunleather or an IWB leather holster can chime in here. The Slim XC sounds great for every day carry, but I'll be using the holster at the range at least once a week if not twice a week as well. The last thing I want is a pita holster when it comes to re holstering at the range or while doing dry fire drills at home. Being new to ccw, I'll be doing quite a few drills.

Does anyone have experience with a non reinforced holster, where they're drawing and re holstering often? I'm really leaning towards the reinforced at this point to play it safe but i figured I'd get some opinions first.

Attached the difference in thickness between the two. Reinforced on top, slim on the bottom.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

I have used both the reinforced & the slim from TT. The slim works great for me and I have had zero issues with it collapsing. I would think that for most, the slim would be just fine.

I always prefer reinforced IWB holsters.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I have had a Mike's special for a few years and LOVE it. Extremely comfy carrying my PT145 pro all day. I don't believe he was making the slim back then. Good choice on holster maker BTW.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My view: Use what is most comfortable for you. You have to wear it; you have to use it.

My opinion: I am not a fan of "no-look" holsters. I understand the concept of keeping your eyes focused on your environment after drawing, but if I have to draw in a public situation, I'm not reholstering until the threat is ended. Likewise, practice on a range for a SD incident should be no different--holster when safe to do so. If I were running gun drills and constantly drawing and reholstering, I'd strap on a kydex holster for the ease of reholstering.

I carry a Glock much of the time, A shirttail inside the trigger guard can and has fired a Glock. I always look at my holster to ensure safe holstering. IWB, OWB, shoulder; I always look at what I'm doing with a loaded gun in the hand.
    scottypimpin and mwhartman like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If you are worried, just go reinforced. Will maybe 1/4" added make a difference for you? Any holster leather is less than that. My 9-10 oz is a hair under 1/4". Most holster makers use 8-9 or 7-8 oz.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Re: Slim or Reinforced Mouth [ttgunleather] - Help me choose.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If I were running gun drills and constantly drawing and reholstering, I'd strap on a kydex holster for the ease of reholstering.
    I didn't think of this before, but you're right. I can pick up a kydex strictly for drills and the range, while keeping my comfy leather holster for carry. Thanks!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Seriously, if you're in a true SD situation, you're going to draw once, and hopefully reholster once. Don't make it complicated.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Re: Slim or Reinforced Mouth [ttgunleather] - Help me choose.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Seriously, if you're in a true SD situation, you're going to draw once, and hopefully reholster once. Don't make it complicated.
    I understand that. My main concern was how the non reinforced holster will hold up when I take it to the range and do practice drills.

Get the non reinforced top, it will be much more comfortable for everyday carry.

I like my holsters reinforced...all of them.OMOYMV
    jbum likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have the reinforced

I went with the reinforced version from TT for my Glock 19. I think it is very comfortable and plenty thin enough. The fact that it is a work of art isn't bad either!

Links