Couldn't believe my eyes - Page 2

Couldn't believe my eyes

This is a discussion on Couldn't believe my eyes within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hume? , trigger area issue?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Couldn't believe my eyes

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Hume? , trigger area issue?

Lack of shameless self-promotion?

VIP Member
    What's wrong--- made from spray painted duct tape?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the point of this thread, but to me, it seems to be in poor taste. I take it you make holsters, and feel you're are superior, so you're making a game out of pointing out the flaws in the competition. If that's all correct, I personally feel this thread is very immature.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero_ View Post
    If that's all correct, I personally feel this thread is very immature.
    At least 2 of those holsters have serious sight channel issues. As in, no sight channel and molded directly down to the slide/barrel. That's is potentially life threatening if you find yourself in the wrong situation. There are also aesthetic/ longevity issues with the stitching. Some is just poor stitch lines or holes are too big/thread too tight. Others are poorly stitched to the gun and could result in the holster loosening over time. And at least one seems to have molded the cylinder not in line with the barrel.

Holsters get better with good critiques. Mine have. And customers get better holsters when the know what to look for.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Ya, the 2nd revolver one is way off in terms of cylinder to barrel alignment.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Bianchi, Crappy molding?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero_ View Post
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding the point of this thread, but to me, it seems to be in poor taste. I take it you make holsters, and feel you're are superior, so you're making a game out of pointing out the flaws in the competition. If that's all correct, I personally feel this thread is very immature.
    You gotta get to know Red. Remember, it's not bragging if you can back it up.

I'm looking forward to today's lesson.

Ok, fair comments all, but to quote Sheldon Cooper, "What's life without whimsy?"

For me, the difference between the "right" and the "wrong" is as obvious as comparing, say, Roseanne Barr with Kaley Cuoco; and I assumed the differences between the two holsters would be equally obvious to forum members:

Pic number one. This one is taken from John's "Bianchi International" 1986 catalogue; in fact it's the cover shot. As the person responsible for selecting the products for catalogue shoots, I can say that by 1986 I was able to pick samples from the bins WITHOUT LOOKING because quality control standards at the company were extremely high; i.e., the products were not made for the shoot:

1986a.jpg

The circle marked B: as clear and detailed boning as is possible with a lined holster, around the cylinder. The flute down the centre of the cylinder is straight and distinct, as are the two flutes on either side. The circle marked A: that's what's called a "saddlemaker's tacking stitch" -- over one, return in parallel until the stitch blends back into the main stitchline. Strong and handsome. The line marked C: straight, deep, clean line along the barrel and the underlug. The line marked D: another clear, deep, straight line along the underlug, and along the forward part of the frame. Is it obvious what revolver it was moulded around? It sure is.

Now fast forward a quarter century, and here's one from John's own "Frontier Gunleather" 2013 catalogue:

2013 (1)A.jpg

The circle marked B: a lick and a promise around the cylinder; the flute boning is wobbly. The circle marked A: no saddlemaker's tacking stitch; instead a stitch or two made by throwing a Bull machine in reverse. Weak, and lacks style. The line marked C: isn't one. The line marked D: isn't one. What revolver was it boned around? A Rossi?

So the question is, if John "the man" knew how holsters should be made (I haven't tackled the design yet) in 1986, but doesn't in 2013, what happened? Gosh, the catalogue even has a picture of him making the holsters personally
    Last edited by rednichols; February 5th, 2013 at 09:17 PM.
    Red (Richard) Nichols
    "Chief Holster Scientist"

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Red_.../about_us.html

can i still win one of your holsters :) for a glock 26
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

I appreciate the breakdown of flaws within these holster designs. I can also appreciate the craftsmanship of a holster, and it's function, I could not begin to imagine the detail, manufacturing process, and design methodology that goes into it. It, simply, is not my profession....I am a consumer. I have no idea what "boning" or a "saddlemaker's tacking stitch" is and could not tell you if they were done incorrectly. However, your explanation was a good read and it's interesting to know how one designer views another's work. But, as a consumer, my only critique of much merit, would have been: "They are ugly and don't look like they would work very well. I wouldn't spend my money on them". Thanks for the insight though...it does give me some points to consider the next time I'm in the market.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    So the question is, if John knew how to make (I haven't tackled the design yet) fine holsters in 1986, what exactly changed by 2013?
    If I had to guess, it's because Bianchi hasn't been affiliated with the company since he retired from Bianchi International in 1992 (having sold it in 1987). He began Bianchi Frontier Gunleather in '92/'93.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

My guess would be that since John Bianchi is no longer there, holster/gun people no longer make the decisions; accountants (aka "bean counters") do.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    My guess would be that since John Bianchi is no longer there, holster/gun people no longer make the decisions; accountants (aka "bean counters") do.
    That's funny. I didn't refer to Bianchi the company, I referred to John Bianchi the man:

Image000.jpg

And he didn't "retire"; he was fired by the company's owners shortly after they acquired his company.

Because no one was able to distinguish between Bianchi the man and Bianchi the company(s) (1963 Protector Brand, 1964 Safari Ltd., 1966 Bianchi Holsters, 1971 Bianchi Leather Products, 1985 Bianchi International) I've awarded a free holster EACH to TWO who responded with enthusiasm, if not accuracy : RubenZ and 0331 (PMs sent).
    Last edited by rednichols; February 5th, 2013 at 09:28 PM.
    Red (Richard) Nichols
    "Chief Holster Scientist"

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Red_.../about_us.html

Red, it's always educational hearing about design and execution details from you. I enjoy learning as I'm new to the holster appreciation scene.
    Now, about your new designs......
    I have a 5" railed 1911 by Dave Lauck that I would love to carry comfortably. And a New Glock 33 I'm trying to work into my carry rotation. I would be proud to wear something from your new line.
    Certified Infidel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links