Driving with Holster

This is a discussion on Driving with Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Its like tight jeans, sitting on a wallet or wearing a watch....you get used to it. On long trips, I move gun to my left ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Driving with Holster

Its like tight jeans, sitting on a wallet or wearing a watch....you get used to it. On long trips, I move gun to my left side and cross draw.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    It seems like a lot of people are of the mindset that CC can't be comfy. I really disagree with that. With so many different sizes of guns and types of holsters, there are comfy ways to carry. Like so many other things in life, it comes down to tradeoffs.

You could easily CC a NAA .22 mag revolver all day and not know it. Now most people would argue the NAA isn't enough firepower for most types of fights. Well, there's a wide range of guns and holsters that fall between the NAA and carrying dual .500 S&W on your belt.

The point is, figure out how much firepower you need (or want) and figure out if you can carry it comfortably. If not, you might have to downsize your firepower for comfort.

I carry mine IWB at 9 o'clock. I tilt the barrel a little to the back, grip a little to front. Pretty comfortable. Considering a second gun in a "more accessible" area.

Most of the time I carry cross draw and have no issues when driving, I will also sometimes carry in an SoB. For me the SoB is not uncomfortable while driving but it would be hard to get to if it was needed!

Quote Originally Posted by RoadKill View Post
    FIST makes a crossdraw holster that pivots to horizontal (button release) for driving and vertical for standing up. You have to get comfortable with crossdraw but if you get in and out of a car often during the day mti might be an answer.
    I have one for my Glock-36, but I only use it for long trips...works great!
    FIST, INC.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry at 9 o'clock iwb doesn't bother me at all.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

My Remoras just arrived in the mail! Not only are they comfortable, and I'm wearing with shorts and no belt, BUT I'm also sitting down!!! Two Thumbs Up!
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

Sponsor
    I prefer an SHTF Gear holster IWB at the 3 o'clock position. For me, when the holster is in the position it tends to position itself where I can reach it, but without any pressure pushing the gun into my back.

SHTF Gear LLC

Thanks,
    Clay

I find that I can't carry in the car with the same type of holster for all my guns. Each one works differently. My revolver is perfectly comfortable with an IWB holster, while my Ruger P95 or my Makarov CZ82 aren't. I usually put my gun in my door pocket like already mentioned if it's not comfortable to wear while driving. What I have realized is that If I keep my gun inside my waistband I'm definitely not getting to it while my seatbelt is on. I'll have to rethink things.

Quote Originally Posted by ElMonoDelMar View Post
    I've re-holstered while seated in a car a few times and I always get sweaty palms. I just keep thinking of all of the AD's I've heard about from shirt tails or other materials getting stuck in the trigger while holstering. I avoid it as much as possible.

To answer the OP's question, I just tough it out. I'm looking to get a smaller gun that I can OWB in hopes that it will make driving with bucket seats a little less painful.
    I carry in my vehicle all the time and don't worry about a ad. I carry a springfield xdc and I put my thumb on the back of the slide when holstering and the grip safety is not depressed. I also carry a Sig P250c and reholster the same way. The hammer can not move with my thumb on the back of the slide. I carry at 3 oclock, either iwb or owb and I have no discomfort after driving all day.

I carry a Glock 23 in Crossbreed Super Tuck. The holster leather stops the gun from being on my skin. Quite comfortable driving. However, I don't want to even try to holster and unholdster in a car!

M&PC with Remora at 3 o'clock. With the Remora I can place the seat belt behind the holster. Comfortable,quick access, and SAFE. I've seen many broken pelvis in the ER from car accidents. Your gun under your seatbelt durring an accident would severly bruise you internally if not break your pelvis.

One of the great things about the Remora is how easy it is to move the gun without removing the gun from the holster. The best saftey on a gun is a holster.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.

Re: Driving with Holster

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytea View Post
    I carry a Glock 23 in Crossbreed Super Tuck. The holster leather stops the gun from being on my skin. Quite comfortable driving. However, I don't want to even try to holster and unholdster in a car!
    I use the crossbreed as well for my cz82 but it still can be uncomfortable sometimes in the car depending on which pants im wearing.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Shoulder holster works great if you can conceal it. Also try Gum Creek's under dash holster, that is what I have in my cars.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Assuming the Shield & LCP in your signature line are the guns that you carry, you should NOT be having issues with comfort. How are you carrying (what holster) and in what position? You will hear completely idiotic crap like "Carrying a gun is comforting, not comfortable" and such remember that is NOT the case!

If you have
    RIGHT GUN for concealed carry
    RIGHT HOLSTER for your gun, body and carry position
    RIGHT BELT to keep it all up there

Then you should have no issues at all. The 3 guns I carry the most are my Glock 26, Ruger SP101, KelTec PF-9. I have Kholsters and N82 Tacticals for all 3 as well as a Sticky Holster (like Remora) for the PF9 for the quick on and outs. NO comfort issues and I almost always forget they are there. I've tried every holster I can get my hands on and will continue to do so because I'm always about new and better but these are by far the most comfortable I've ever tried. The Kholsters have a full body shield which to me is much more comfortable than just one section of holster pressing into you, they are also much more adjustable than the competition, People push the idea that you can't draw from the as fast but I've never found that to be true. Yes the draw is slightly different but not slower, and no repositioning when the gun is out either. I fought myself for a while on them because I went Crossbreed first as most people do, but it just wasn't as comfortable. The N82's are also extremely comfortable they almost have a memory foam type inside with VERY smooth suede backing. They are single clip holsters but on a small gun that makes no difference.

I would highly recommend either one, the pic with my hand over the back of the Kholster is to show the size of it, barely the size of my hand, many people think there HUGE which they typically aren't unless your into the really big guns.

2013-02-02 10.51.47.jpg2013-02-05 10.20.51.jpg2013-02-05 10.21.42.jpg

Good Luck and keep us updated

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links