Driving with Holster

This is a discussion on Driving with Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a newbie desperately trying to get used to carrying. Driving with a gun digging into your side or back is not the most comfortable ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Driving with Holster

Driving with Holster

I'm a newbie desperately trying to get used to carrying. Driving with a gun digging into your side or back is not the most comfortable setup.

What do YOU do? Grin and bare it? Remove your holster? I'd like some ideas on how to best handle driving and sitting while carrying.

Thanks!!!

Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I find this difficult with IWB which is why i HATE IWB. THe leather really takes a tole on your skin. I'm hoping that since I now ordered a REMORA holster, I can easily take off and put on the holster with ease.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

I installed a left handed OWB holster in my driver's door map pocket. It allows me to draw left handed, without obstructions, below the driver's window line-of-sight. It also leaves my right hand free to handle any "fancy" driving required to get the heck outta' there! I just transfer my G19 back to my IWB after I unbuckle my seat beat before I exit the car.
    NewtownSam likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I just transfer my G19 back to my IWB after I unbuckle my seat beat before I exit the car.
    I hear what you're saying. However, as a pilot, the most dangerous parts of flying are landing and taking off; I compare this to holstering and unholstering. The less you have to do of it, the safer you will be.
    ElMonoDelMar likes this.
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Carrying a gun is not intended to be comfortable. Eventually you will find a seating position or carry position that will suit your needs. I carry mine at 3-3:30 and consider the minor discomfort to be comforting.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CigarStix View Post
    I hear what you're saying. However, as a pilot, the most dangerous parts of flying are landing and taking off; I compare this to holstering and unholstering. The less you have to do of it, the safer you will be.
    I've re-holstered while seated in a car a few times and I always get sweaty palms. I just keep thinking of all of the AD's I've heard about from shirt tails or other materials getting stuck in the trigger while holstering. I avoid it as much as possible.

To answer the OP's question, I just tough it out. I'm looking to get a smaller gun that I can OWB in hopes that it will make driving with bucket seats a little less painful.

i like the remora because I can move it to a crossdraw while driving than to strongside upon arrival works great
    guitarzNgunz likes this.

I have a holster than i can put on my left side,then no seat belt problems.

The most dangerous part of being armed with a concealed weapon isn't, IMHO, in changing holsters. It's NEEDING YOUR HANDGUN IN YOUR HAND TO DEFEND YOURSELF! I'd MUCH rather deal with re-holstering when that's all I'm thinking about than to get tangled-up in my seat belt or shirt tail trying to draw as the bad guy is busting-out my window with a tire iron. (*and I'm a private pilot)
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have not tried this out yet but it looked interesting.

Stealth Defense Holsters for Concealed Carry

It's above the waist carry, but not a shoulder rig.

My wife and I are going to class this month for our carry permits and I'm beginning to exlore "The Best Carry Position"

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CigarStix View Post
    I'm a newbie desperately trying to get used to carrying. Driving with a gun digging into your side or back is not the most comfortable setup.

What do YOU do? Grin and bare it? Remove your holster? I'd like some ideas on how to best handle driving and sitting while carrying.

Thanks!!!

Not sure about Texas but many states will not allow you to "remove your holster" and still be legally CC. To be CC in your car requires CC on your person as if you are walking around; CC has now been voided once you remove your holster and the firearm from your person. Many states, if you are not CC, require that the firearm be stored in a separate locked area such as the glove compartment, center console or trunk. Having the firearm, in a holster or not, just laying in the car or under the seat or uncer a newspaper is illegal. My comments are referring specifically to South Carolina. Just wanted to reiterate that everyone should check respective state law before accepting comments from the forum.

DrivinDave,

That above the waist holster seems like it would be VERY uncomfortable to wear for any length of time.
    There are so many other fine choices out there.OMO
    Mike1956 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Driving with Holster

mbguy29577 and NewtownSam like this.

FIST makes a crossdraw holster that pivots to horizontal (button release) for driving and vertical for standing up. You have to get comfortable with crossdraw but if you get in and out of a car often during the day mti might be an answer.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd taken better care of myself when I was younger

I carry my EDC in a Fobus paddle holster (OWB). Really comfortable just about anywhere, except driving. Since I'm right-handed the holster usually rides around 3:00 o'clock. Fastening the seatbelt is a hassle and driving can get uncomfortable with the gun on. Once the belt actually released the magazine (Ruger SR9c comes with ambidextrous mag release buttons). That was interesting.

Often now I'll remove the entire rig while I'm driving and stick it in the door pocket or center console. Not the best way of doing things, I'll admit. Besides, when I get where I'm going, I have to put my holster back on and I've been spotted in parking lots a couple of times now by other people while putting my gun and holster back on. I'll figure something else out one of these days.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links