Would like some opinions...

Would like some opinions...

This is a discussion on Would like some opinions... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bear with me as I'm throwing a few thoughts together to ask a single question. Hopefully this makes sense. Thought #1: I've mentioned in a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Would like some opinions...

Question Would like some opinions...

Bear with me as I'm throwing a few thoughts together to ask a single question. Hopefully this makes sense.

Thought #1: I've mentioned in a couple other threads that I'm gearing up and trying to prepare for if/when CC is legalized in Illinois. I've been doing a lot of research into what pistol I would want to carry when that day comes. I've generally been looking at subcompact firearms because I'm a small guy and just don't feel like I could easily conceal a compact size firearm or larger. However, I have wanted a Glock 19 for a long time and really don't want to rule it out.

Thought #2: I own a Ruger P95 that I use for HD, but keep it in a GunVault at all times since we have an almost 3 year old running around the house. However, I have recently felt very strongly that I need to have a gun more readily available by carrying one on me inside my home due to home invasions and other unforeseen ugly situations. Because of this I had thought about getting a cheapo holster, likely OWB, for the Ruger for that purpose alone.

Thought #3: But, then I got to thinking, the Ruger is about the same size or slightly larger than some of the compact pistols I would consider for CC if I could indeed conceal them. If I could conceal that thing I should fairly easily be able to conceal just about any other compact pistol, namely the G19.

So, here's the question: Would it make sense for me to throw money at a decent IWB holster for my Ruger and try out concealing it while simply being inside my home? I could have my wife try to keep an eye on it and have her let me know when I'm printing and work on ways to minimize it. I was even thinking about a Remora for it since they are pretty inexpensive, have had rave reviews and would be the same size holster for the G19 and a couple other compacts that interest me. Please let me know what you think. Is this a solid plan or not really practical?
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Of course it makes sense. (Opinion #1)

You will soon discover that people LOVE to give opinions.
    DJC7 likes this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    Of course it makes sense. (Opinion #1)

You will soon discover that people LOVE to give opinions.
    I figured this would be the perfect place to ask. lol Thanks for the input!
    ~Thomas Jefferson

~Breda

You may not see it now, but the P95 is considerably bigger than the G19. That is a HUGE gun to CC. It's very thick, and the controls make the situation worse. Cheap nylon for the house would not be a bad idea. I would strongly consider another gun for CC.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    You may not see it now, but the P95 is considerably bigger than the G19. That is a HUGE gun to CC. It's very thick, and the controls make the situation worse. Cheap nylon for the house would not be a bad idea. I would strongly consider another gun for CC.
    I agree 100%! To clarify, I meant I would only CC around my house just to get the feel for if I had any chance of concealing a compact size pistol. I decided early on that the only way I could probably get away with carrying the P95 in public is if I OC'd (assuming it was made legal here in IL, which I doubt).
    ~Thomas Jefferson

~Breda

I cc a P95 alot with a SHTF IWB holster, very comfortable and make the P95 not "feel" as heavy. Dont dismiss it quite so fast

Unless you got $$ to burn I wouldn't spend the $$ on a "good holster" cause it will pry dryrot before you guys get to CC in IL. Id go with the fobus so you can have it handy in the house, having in the safe isn't much better than not having one at all

I carry a p85 in a holster I got from theholsterstore.com and find it just as comfortable as my smaller carries like the lc9. Just make sure you get the sideguard option so you aren't poking yourself with the hammer when you move a certain way. specifically this one Pro Carry Hybrid Holster.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    carrying around the house is a good idea,especially when breaking in your holster

AS has been mentioned, being around the house, especially when attempting to conceal is a real eye opener. Wear it all day on the weekend and you will get a REAL feel for it. Plus it will help you out with a lot of the little things, position, retention, cant, clothing etc. Practice is good.
    DJC7 likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Before you spend significant $ on an IWB, please consider buying something cheaper as IWB (while good in theory) may not be to your liking. The deSantis SofTuk is pretty cheap, offers a variable cant and may even be tuckable.

I suggest this as I spent BIG $ on a Milt Sparks and never really warmed up to IBW. Additionally, you may be surprised my how well you cam conceal an OWB; but again, start with a cheap one. Oh, and spring for a good gun belt.

The Remoras look like they are basically the same price as the SofTucks. I think this would lead me to lean toward the Remora since it sounds like I could do a lot of playing around with the positioning of the gun with that holster. Then, when I find a position/cant/etc. that seems to work for me I could look into a nice leather/kydex holster with similar setup.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

~Breda

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I've got a P-95 and it is as reliable a gun as any I own. It shoots great, you can safely carry it with the hammer down and just pull the trigger when you need it.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Let's play the Devil's advocate for a moment if you will.

As a former 38 year Illinois veteran, CCW is never going to happen in Illinois in general and Chicago in particular, period! You stand a better chance of the current governor joining his string of predecessors in prison than hoping for a CCW! Or a better chance of six inches of snow in Southern Illinois in mid July, IMHO.

I'll even make a bet...

Should Illinois ever pass a reasonable concealed carry law for its citizens, I'll buy a fancy dinner for everyone on this forum.

I'll purchase the best "cyber" lobster dinner with all the trimmings that the Internet is capable of transporting, complete with a generous "cyber" tip. Oh hell, I'll even provide two of the best bottles of "cyber" wine the Internet can conjure up!

How's that for my expectations?
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    Let's play the Devil's advocate for a moment if you will.

As a former 38 year Illinois veteran, CCW is never going to happen in Illinois in general and Chicago in particular, period! You stand a better chance of the current governor joining his string of predecessors in prison than hoping for a CCW! Or a better chance of six inches of snow in Southern Illinois in mid July, IMHO.

I'll even make a bet...

Should Illinois ever pass a reasonable concealed carry law for its citizens, I'll buy a fancy dinner for everyone on this forum.

I'll purchase the best "cyber" lobster dinner with all the trimmings that the Internet is capable of transporting, complete with a generous "cyber" tip. Oh hell, I'll even provide two of the best bottles of "cyber" wine the Internet can conjure up!

How's that for my expectations?
    I'll save your info for when that happens! Seeing as how the supreme court gave them 180 to get concealed carry into law, where 2 months in, whether they fight it or not, there going to wind up with conceal carry whether they want it or not. Do you know how many people said this same thing about WI?
    DJC7 likes this.

Well, I just ordered a Remora. We'll see how this goes!
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

~Breda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links