Unholstering and Mag Release

This is a discussion on Unholstering and Mag Release within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have noticed several times now in unholstering my M&P40c from it's Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe holster (right hand carry) that I get the mag released ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By gun1
  • 3 Post By rednichols
  • 1 Post By SHTFGearLLC

Thread: Unholstering and Mag Release

Unholstering and Mag Release

I have noticed several times now in unholstering my M&P40c from it's Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe holster (right hand carry) that I get the mag released inadvertently. The mag release is up against the leather. I am thinking it is just how the gun rides. It isn't every time, but enough that I've noticed.

Does anyone else have that happen?

2. Remove Ads

I have been paying attention to my carry system and the mag release seems to get pushed in quite routinely. I carry at about 4:00-4:30 and quite frequently have a lot of pressure against the gun - the back of my seat in the truck, for example.

I am thinking of cutting out the leather around the mag release so it would be harder to get enough pressure on the button to push it in all the way.
    Snub44 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gun1 View Post
    I have noticed several times now in unholstering my M&P40c from it's Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe holster (right hand carry) that I get the mag released inadvertently. The mag release is up against the leather. I am thinking it is just how the gun rides. It isn't every time, but enough that I've noticed.

Does anyone else have that happen?
    It does happen, and it can happen whenever a mag button is covered; and I'm on record that the mag button must be provided for, at all times. Even the old 1916 Army flap holster had a plug inside it to prevent a mag release; certainly in 100 years every holster maker should know better. Including when the pattern is "flopped" to make a left-hand holster; which is why patterns must clear the button on BOTH sides of a holster (and why there are NO left-hand M1916 holsters).

Quote Originally Posted by gun1 View Post
    I have been paying attention to my carry system and the mag release seems to get pushed in quite routinely. I carry at about 4:00-4:30 and quite frequently have a lot of pressure against the gun - the back of my seat in the truck, for example.

I am thinking of cutting out the leather around the mag release so it would be harder to get enough pressure on the button to push it in all the way.
    Isn't this one of the things the Combat Cut addresses on Crossbreed's holsters?
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Combat cut it, or

Punch a hole in the leather, or

dampend the leather and push an indentation into the leather for the mag release.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Sponsor
    Yup, Indeed a common problem with a number of hybrid holsters on the market. That issue doesn't exist on our holsters. The leather doesn't cover the Mag Release, and it allows a full shooting grip prior to the draw (no drawing with the thumb over the rear sight, then repositioning as many users of hybrid holsters do). This prevents an issue with the mag getting released and also allows for one handed mag changes.

XDm-gun-back-1500.jpg
    SHTF Gear LLC

I would suggest cutting it, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks,
    Clay

...I've had to relieve the leather on several, too...seems to work...a hole puncher for belts may be enough or a cartridge case driven through the holster at that point...if you know anyone with a .25 or .32...

I haven't had that problem with my n82. However I do not get a full grip on the pistol before it is out of the holster, I have to readjust.

Just a quick note - I contacted Crossbreed regarding this issue and here is there reply:

Sorry for the inconvenience, We will send you some instructions on how to install a divot in the leather or you can send us the holster and we will do it for you at no charge. Hope this helps.
    Thanks Matt

Please find below some easy instructions for eliminating that issue. Should you not feel comfortable doing this we of course would be happy to do it for you if you'll send your holster in.

Get the leather wet on the backside in an area about the size of a quarter around the where the mag button hits. Then from the front side, work a bowl shaped depression into the backer with your thumb or a blunt, smooth tool. Let it dry and it'll hold the shape and provide some clearance for the mag button. This takes care of the issue 99% of the time.
    I am going to do this here tonight. I will report back how it turns out.

A smooth toothbrush handle will work well for that. Wet the leather. Let it set a minute or two until it's almost back to natural. Then go to work. If you work it too wet the indentation may not take.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I used a flat nose FMJ and pressed the leather in to a dense foam block = maintained equal pressure all around. It seemed to work OK, the indentation is there this morning. I'll see how it wears today - unless I have to disarm when I get to where I'm going this morning, may be an issue.

Since making my indentation I have had 0 issues with my mag release.

Links