Couldn't believe my eyes Part II

This is a discussion on Couldn't believe my eyes Part II within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My first thread on the subject of John Bianchi's latest catalogue offerings ran its course, and some posters thought perhaps I was being petty. Not ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Couldn't believe my eyes Part II

My first thread on the subject of John Bianchi's latest catalogue offerings ran its course, and some posters thought perhaps I was being petty. Not knowing who I am, could lead some to think that way, so here's my joining thread with my CV : Long-time pro holster designer/maker in the House which explains where I'm coming from.

I would rarely "make it personal" in posting my instructional comments; but when you understand that John has always taken credit for my designs and my quality standards, I guess I was shocked that he himself didn't learn anything from it! Buyers make decisions based on brand, and on the brand's reputation.

Design: the initial post was about workmanship, and I showed the progenitor holster from the 1980s Bianchi International, and the current one from the 2013 Frontier Gunleather.

Here's the "Bianchi" design (it's in his 1980s catalogue, but its my work):

3.jpg

Circle marked 1: the "overstrap" is horizontal and tight across the hammer spur; that's to keep the revolver from being pulled out with the thumbreak snapped. In this case it's a crossdraw, so that would be from the FRONT of the wearer. Circle marked 2: the edge of the revolver's trigger guard is barely visible; that is so that the wearer gets a full grip when drawing, and even oversized grips don't interfere with the holster's edge. Circle marked 3: the saddlers tacking stitch effectively "clamps" the thick welt that's stitched into the seam, into a broad support for the revolver frame. This works with the thumbreak to keep the revolver from being pulled out with the break snapped up. Circle marked 4: open muzzle; why close off the holster and make it longer (industry practice would be for the longer barrel versions to be the same) if it's not a field holster (brush, twigs, etc.).

And here's how it devolved into John's current offering:

4.jpg

This design is the work of an amateur, and I don't see how John could have put his name to it (but I know what his excuses would be):
    Circle marked 1: the overstrap is angled and resting also on the revolver frame; good retention cannot be PREDICTED from such an arrangement. Circle marked 2: leather extends into the open area of the revolver guard, that's meant to be reserved for the shooter's hand (by the revolver maker). Circle marked 3: simple backtack means that the inner welt/spacer is not clamped broadly, and good retention cannot be PREDICTED. Circle marked 4: see above. Lines: because a sidedraw holster, the carry angle is off by a measured 5 degrees (the first example above is nominated as a crossdraw) for comfort, concealment, and presentation. Styling: misses all the cues from the revolver itself, and styling has suffered.

I write this thread because, unless YOU know the difference in good design from bad design, you are understandably going to rely on the BRAND (and in this case, John's name is absolutely inseparable from the word BIANCHI, as demonstrated in the first thread). Petty? I hope not. Did you learn something about holster design and workmanship? I hope so.
    Last edited by rednichols; February 7th, 2013 at 07:45 PM. Reason: pics omitted
    Red (Richard) Nichols

I always learn from your posts. And I'd really like to see some of your latest designs.
    Certified Infidel

Quote Originally Posted by Shrike6 View Post
    I always learn from your posts. And I'd really like to see some of your latest designs.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...t-century.html

Red (Richard) Nichols

About your pics. So, obviously the panel is lined. Or built like a lined holster. Is the inside body of the holster lined as well? Very interesting technique with wrapping the leather. Very distinctive look.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I guessed right,that is was Bianchi since that was where you came from,and like I said my first holster for my Colt Python in about 1983 was a Bianchi 5bl,the design looked similar
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

0331, who is one of the winner's of the first thread's q&a session, has approved a pic of his holster, which was made just for him and his Glock:

Image009.jpg

It's a two-tone in the "peep-toe" pancake style. The holster body is unlined Australian cowhide, trimmed with genuine ostrich (both are non-CITES leathers and can be imported into USA), the back panel is American harness leather.

Wear it in good health, 0331

P.S. I need to get a much better camera
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Hey Red not sure how much of a camera guy you are, but something that can take even the most basic camera's up to acceptable is just adding allot of soft light. Google around but a couple shop lights and something to diffuse that light rudimentary mounting will do wonders to most point and shoot cameras. Usually the trouble with smaller cameras is the sensor is smaller, which typically means terrible low light, and indoors shooting. Another option is always shoot outdoors in somewhat overcast but bright conditions, however that's not always available;)

Just a suggestion might help a bunch even when using less then stellar photo equipment;)

Take care!

Luke

That's a nice looking holster, Red.
    0331 is a lucky man!
    Certified Infidel

Quote Originally Posted by Shrike6 View Post
    That's a nice looking holster, Red.
    0331 is a lucky man!
    That is very nice
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    That is very nice
    Yours is ready for stitching; the first one I built for you was not up to my standards. I will send along a pic of yours first, before mailing.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    Yours is ready for stitching; the first one I built for you was not up to my standards. I will send along a pic of yours first, before mailing.
    Red, thank you very much once again. Wish there was something i can send your way as a thank you. Maybe I'll send you a PORTRAIT of me wearing the holster :) j/k. I do photography on the side lol
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    Red, thank you very much once again. Maybe I'll send you a PORTRAIT of me wearing the holster :) j/k. I do photography on the side lol
    G'day, Ruben, maybe you know a bikini model or two, for your pics? I never weary of the female form, it's part of the addiction that makes mortals into holster designers.

Here's a pic of your holster, which is in the mail already:

xamples (1).jpg

That's genuine ostrich leg (actually foot/toe at this level of the skin) at the top, and australian cowhide for the pocket with genuine red kangaroo lining the inside, tough as bullwhips (literally).

Wear it in good health, and thanks for playing along with my original thread
    RubenZ and JWS3745 like this.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Love it !!
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    G'day, Ruben, maybe you know a bikini model or two, for your pics? I never weary of the female form, it's part of the addiction that makes mortals into holster designers.

Here's a pic of your holster, which is in the mail already:

xamples (1).jpg

That's genuine ostrich leg (actually foot/toe at this level of the skin) at the top, and australian cowhide for the pocket with genuine red kangaroo lining the inside, tough as bullwhips (literally).

Wear it in good health, and thanks for playing along with my original thread
    Gorgeous holster. Now I know how my wife feels about handbags and shoes.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Red kangaroo lining?
    O M G !
    That is a work of art, I'm drooling here.
    A Holster like that would make me open carry everywhere...
    Great job, sir!
    Certified Infidel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links