Changed my carry position

This is a discussion on Changed my carry position within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have traditionally carried a Glock 26 at about the 5:30 position for several reasons. I felt it concealed better Seemed like the "sweet spot" ...

Thread: Changed my carry position

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I have traditionally carried a Glock 26 at about the 5:30 position for several reasons.

• I felt it concealed better
    • Seemed like the "sweet spot"
    • More comfortable when in car

However, over the past season, I have not carried my Glock at all because of the back pain it produced. I switched to a Ruger LCP, which is a nice gun, but I felt WAY underpowered.

I took a class and the instructor insisted the "correct" position for carrying is where the the rear sights of the gun fall in line with the seam on your pants...about 3:30 or so. Yesterday, I experimented a bit more and moved my carry position. I discovered that putting it here puts the weight of the gun on a very big bone, makes it much more stable and relieves a lot of back pain. It does produce a big bulge on my right side, but I think I can work with that as the ability to carry a better defensive handgun more than compensates for the extra effort to conceal it.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member
    I always carry at 3:00 on the strong side, and 8:30 on the non-dominant, which are the sweet spots for me. It varies from person to person, regardless of what an absolutist instructor may insist.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I agree with your instructors advice. The leading edge of the firearm should be inline with the seam of your pants. Once you get used to this position, I believe you will find that you have better control and quicker access to your gun. Our classes teach the same recommendation.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Clip Draw @ appendix

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I'm sorry to disagree with your instructor but we are all not built exactly the same. I do think some where between 3:00 and 3:30 is the best spot but most people will have to make slight adjustments. If you have real prominent hip bones that pistol is going to create lots of pain pressing on that spot. So you might have to bring it back a bit to make it a little more comfortable. I have also noticed over the years that the cant of the holster changes where my pistol rests.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Sponsor
    Glad you found a position that works for you. What style of holster are you using in that position? I prefer about the 4 o clock position with on of my holsters carrying my G32.

-Clay

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutz View Post
    Clip Draw @ appendix
    Kutz.... Good luck with that! I would caution you against it, you have no trigger protection in a position that has the barrel pointed at your body.

I carry AIWB (Dale Fricke Archangel).

It has stopped mine and several others back pain caused by carrying at approx. 4:30.

I will never go back to that position.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fotomaker57 View Post
    I'm sorry to disagree with your instructor but we are all not built exactly the same. I do think some where between 3:00 and 3:30 is the best spot but most people will have to make slight adjustments.
    +1

I carry at 3:30, very comfortable for me, but like you said, we are all built differently, this isn't normally a subject anyone should take advice on, it's more personal preference and what feels right to you.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    Glad you found a position that works for you. What style of holster are you using in that position? I prefer about the 4 o clock position with on of my holsters carrying my G32.

-Clay
    I have experimented with several holsters but always come back to the Comp-tac Minataur.

And to address some other replies, of course, this instructor said 3:30 but we are all built different. If someone finds 4:00 or 4:30 more comfortable, by all means, go for that.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I have traditionally carried a Glock 26 at about the 5:30 position for several reasons.

• I felt it concealed better
    • Seemed like the "sweet spot"
    • More comfortable when in car

However, over the past season, I have not carried my Glock at all because of the back pain it produced. I switched to a Ruger LCP, which is a nice gun, but I felt WAY underpowered.

I took a class and the instructor insisted the "correct" position for carrying is where the the rear sights of the gun fall in line with the seam on your pants...about 3:30 or so. Yesterday, I experimented a bit more and moved my carry position. I discovered that putting it here puts the weight of the gun on a very big bone, makes it much more stable and relieves a lot of back pain. It does produce a big bulge on my right side, but I think I can work with that as the ability to carry a better defensive handgun more than compensates for the extra effort to conceal it.
    Your instructor's teaching is consistent with my own posts, when carrying "strong side": just behind the upper iliac crest of the pelvis, and supported by the large muscles there. Specifically my posts about paddle holsters, have taught that a properly constructed and placed holster is not "hung" from the belt, but rather held against these bones and muscles and supported by them.

It is also the position that conceals best, even with the largest handguns so long as one keeps the GRIP size to a minimum (that's the part that prints), and "presents" best while concealed (the grip is offered to the hand ideally), and is safest (the muzzle is pointed away from your bum even while seated) (the muzzle doesn't cross the body while drawing). It's no accident that this is the origin of FBI "cant and carry"; even in the 50s we had smart gunmen.
    Red (Richard) Nichols
    "Chief Holster Scientist"

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Red_.../about_us.html

I carry at the 4:00 postion with a full size P99 AS 40cal with no problem.
    USMC 68-74
    NRA LIFE

Cool

OP I am glad you found a position you are comfortable with.

Since I only carry concealed with light covering garment here in Florida I prefer AIWB for my Glock 23.

I carry in a High Noon Public Secret holster and have for several years now.

Easy to access , easy to protect and no back strain. It works well for me.

photo.jpgImage 4.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

Regards,

FlaRon
    II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T. Larkin

I really like to carry owb in front of my pants seam. 2:30 I guess. Good belt and holster tuck the gun nicely into the side of my gut. Easy to conceal and access.

Sponsored Links