opinions needed galco concealable?

This is a discussion on opinions needed galco concealable? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; whats your experiance with this holster for a OWB rig for my colt 1911? It will be used with a rafters gunbelt I have do ...

Thread: opinions needed galco concealable?

opinions needed galco concealable?

whats your experiance with this holster for a OWB rig for my colt 1911? It will be used with a rafters gunbelt I have do these holsters conceal well for an OWB rig? I'd be getting one for a really good price and would be willing to try it out based on feedback here thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I do have the Galco concealable holster, which I currently use daily with a springer 1911A1 5 inch.
    Pros:
    1-Forward cant, really like the angle compared to other holsters I've owned.
    2-Holds gun snug.
    3-Very well made.
    4-I like how it feels on, very comfortable.
    Cons:
    1-Must have shirt between gun and body, because leather not high enough on the inside to prevent rubbing of hammer area and body.
    2-Lower profile than other holsters, so need to wear longer outter garmets.
    3-Because of position I wear it, I had to move wallet to left side.

Mind you I'm 5'9" and 215 lbs, I wear an XLT penalton and it covers with no problem. If you can live with the cons you'll like the holster.
    Last edited by PatrioticRick; October 28th, 2006 at 02:49 AM. Reason: add gun
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    My holster for EDC is a Galco Concealable also. It holds my 3" Kimber snugly(but not too)but draws easily.

I wear an "instructors" type belt,and when drawn up fairly tight,the weapon is held to my side very tightly.

To me,the cant is perfect and rides high enough to conceal the weapon even with a short shirt on.

As stated above,you gotta wear a t-shirt between the holster and your body(which just makes sense anyway).

I have been using the holster everyday for the past almost 3 years and the holster shows almost no external wear.Even the belt slots havent deformed to the point of looseness.

About a year ago I bought a new one that is just sitting in my draw---waiting. (possibly could break it out in 10 years or so) --------

Different take on Galco Concealable

I bought a Galco Concealable several years ago for a Glock 19. I tried it a few times and now it sits in the bottom of the holster box.

The problem I had was that the gun stuck out away from my body in the area of the rear sight, by almost an inch. You could see the back end of the slide poking out on my cover garment, so the concealment was terrible. In experimenting in front of the mirror I came to the conclusion that the problem with the holster was the extreme cant angle combined with the flat backside of the holster (all the molding is on the front, and the back is flat leather). These factors tended to put the gun in a bad position and cause it to stick out too far.

I have had better luck with pancake OWB holsters having a less severe cant angle and molding on both front and back of the holster. For example, my Kimber CDP Pro conceals very well in the Don Hume holster shown below. This Hume holster is inexpensive, but has the correct cant angle and molding on back and front.
    Attached Images

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well in all honesty you may get as many good/bad/indifferent opinions as you do replies.
    Galco are in the "machine made" class....although higher up on the scale. Don Hume is IMO, right up there with them but much less expensive.
    The risk you take of buying a holster of this kind...is it either works for you or it doesnt. Very rarely is there any inbetween.

The Concealable has ALOT of cant on it and most of the molding is on the outer shell of the holster. This can be benefitial if thats what you are wanting in a holster and it fits your carry requirements.

IMO, for the same money or even less at times, you can find something that fits exactly what you want from another maker. But you pay your money and you take you chances.

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    I have bought several Galco holsters, ( shoulder, and belt ) I think for a production line holster they are some of the best out there. That being said, for $10.00 more, and for even less from several leathercrafters I could have gotten a custom holster. They are something IMHO that you can put your hands on, and leave the store with, and have a holster until the one you order comes in.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    As a matter of fact, I gave the Jackass rig to my uncle when I got my Sam Andrews shoulder rig in. My uncle loves it. We attached a strech loop on the holster and one on the off side also to go on his belt, now he's carrinying with it a lot.

VIP Member
    I like the Concealable bt Galco. I have 3, one for a Glock23, one for 1911 Comander & one other for fullsize 1911.

They have held up well & are the ones I use the most. As to keeping the gun butt in towards the body to prevent printing, they do very well for, just use a good belt.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

While not cheap, the Concealable is an off the rack holster that most gun shops will let you try out right then and there. You'll know if it's good for you or not before you shell out the big money. I really like it and think it is one of the best looking off the rack holsters. It's been my first holster for several guns while I have waited for a custom maker to put together an IWB.

Given that all body types are different, as are tastes, a holster that works for some may not work for others.

If you have experience with holsters that you like (and don't like for that matter), make a list of the likes and dislikes. Compare this holster with those from people with similar builds and carry scenarios.

1911luver,

Prior to buying my first "custom" holster, I only used the Galcos and they were fine for OWB Carry. I never found an IWB from Galco that I liked. I have not bought another since getting my first custom holster though. One thing I had going for me was I was buying the Galco's off the shelf, which meant that I got to try them before I bought them. Like Eric Larsen said, some fit and some did not. I actually tried 3 different holsters, of the same model, before I found one that fit my SIG P220ST properly. Therein lies the reason I went to custom. I have one of Eric's Com 3 IWB holsters for my S&W Revolver and the fit and finish can never be matched by any Galco I have ever owned. Take a look and judge for yourself.

COM 3
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

New Member Array Country Lawyer's Avatar
    I no longer own any of the Galco holsters that I have bought over the years. regarding the Concealable, the lack of a simple tension screw means that the holster will either be too tight or too loose. When it breaks in, there will be no way to tighten it. Regarding other Galco holsters I have owned, I got a terrible rash from the tuckable holster that I tried to use for awhile.

I had one,it sucked , period.As a mater of fact it sucked in every way possible .Once it got broken in the leather started to crack and became unserviceable in less than a month.Since then I have tried other Galco holsters with simalar results.Maybe they just got a bad batch of leather,maybe not.I do have a Galco belt that has been a great product though.If you want a good holster just pick someone from this site I don't think you could go wrong there.

Galco makes some OK stuff and it will do the job fine. I still own some Galco products but I rarely use them. There are alot better holster makers out there for alot less money.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Buying a Galco holster with such fine leathersmiths to choose from right here in our midst is like Flying to Modena, Italy and asking the Ferrari sales manager if he has any Yugos for sale.

Links