Kydex for J frame

This is a discussion on Kydex for J frame within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone using a kydex holster for concealed carry for their J frame I W B. Ive been trying to find a good holster for my ...

Thread: Kydex for J frame

Kydex for J frame

Anyone using a kydex holster for concealed carry for their J frame I W B. Ive been trying to find a good holster for my J Frame S&W 442. Would like to see a pic or 2 if you have one available. I want to carry my J frame but unless I find a decent holster I'll have to sell it and move on to something easier to get equipment for.
    Thanks
    R
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

2. Remove Ads

It's not kydex, but it works for me.

FIST, INC.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately I cant use anything with a belt loop style holster. My waist size makes it so the belt loop is in the way
    The holster ends up either to far forward or to far back. I got a hundreds of bucks of holsters I've been selling at a loss because they just don't work A holster collection that doesn't work I don't need. I'm having trouble in general finding a holster that's concealable and retains the gun at the same time. I keep getting the same story from each maker that j frames are hard to retain in a holster because of how they are shaped.
    Everyone wants to put a thumb break on them to keep them put.
    R

Sponsor
    Have you considered a hybrid holsters? We offer a holster for S&W J frames.

S&W J Frame ACE-1 Holster

Retention should be good (you should be able to run and jump without being worried about the revolver coming out). Its a very comfortable design.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
    Clay

Holster for J Frame

Check out Simply Rugged holsters, they make wonderfully holsters IWB or OWB for the J frame and you won't need a retention strap.

They are not kydex but try High Noon. I carry a SP-101 in a Tail Gunner carries and conceals well.

Comp-tac has a couple of kydex IWB options for j-frames: Inside Waistband Holsters - products new home - Two O'Clock or Inside Waistband Holsters - products new home - C-TAC Holster.

Have you tried these?

I haven't and probably won't... I imagine the hard edges of kydex would be exceedingly uncomfortable IWB, on curved hips.

I'm sure the retention is good, though.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

I have a simply rugged for my J-frame and it sits well just forward of my right hip.
    Since I am in my late 60's and a 34 inch waist, it was difficult to find one that would work for me.
    It takes a little getting used to, but that wil be the case with any. This one has the standard
    and forward cant slots and can be used with a 1 1/2 inch belt. It hides well, btw!
    Hope your quest ends in success. TKH from warm cloudy Oregon

Not a fan of kydex, especially for revolvers. I'm old school, I like leather. I use a Don Hume IWB or I pocket carry.
    Livin the Life!
    Join and Support the NRA

i like leather for the wheel guns, but have you checked out the kholster holster, its a crossbreed supertuck clone but it has a lifetime warranty and was about 50 bucks if i remember right

Sponsor
    In what position are you looking to carry? IWB or OWB?
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I got one from dead eye Luke on the way. It's IWB and $34 shipped. I have only read good things about them.
    ARMY INFANTRY 11c

What use is an unloaded gun? --Tony Soprano

"A ___ is better than the ___ you left at/ in the ____" -- My answer to 99% of the ?'s on here

Quote Originally Posted by Randall757 View Post
    I keep getting the same story from each maker that j frames are hard to retain in a holster because of how they are shaped.
    Everyone wants to put a thumb break on them to keep them put.
    R
    Really? Go to any of the prominent hybrid holster makers, they all make an IWB kydex hybird for the J Frame. Choose your maker, Crossbreed, Tommy Theis, White Hat, Bianchi, etc.

I have a Tommy Theis hybrid horsehide for my J frame and it works terrifically. I can snap a picture for you if you need.

Thanks Kadonny but I haven't found a hybrid that works for me yet. I don't like the mix of leather and kydex. And yes the custom makers in my area have told me retention isn't as easy to build into a holster designed around a J frame some better than others. But most want to put thumb brakes on them.

Senior Moderator
    I have just received a White Hat Max Tuck and am giving it its shake down now. I opted for the Kydex/Velcro clips, but might just use the spring clips.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Links