New To CCW in need of experienced advice!

This is a discussion on New To CCW in need of experienced advice! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I will be getting my ccw permit in June once I have completed all of the necessary steps and I am thinking about how ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New To CCW in need of experienced advice!

Hello,
    I will be getting my ccw permit in June once I have completed all of the necessary steps and I am thinking about how I will be carrying during that summer time. I work at a food service place on a beach where I am constantly lifting boxes and bending over to prepare a person's order. Being in this business I obviously cannot let the customer see my weapon while I am working(all legal ramifications aside) and I also need to be comfortable. Because I am at the beach, it will be warm and I typically wear a normal sized t shirt that is not baggy and maybe even a little short at times and shorts. I have no idea where to begin on which method to use to carry. Thanks

Welcome to the DC forum. Due to all the bending over and reaching you'll be doing I'd recommend pocket carry. Is your boss cool with you carrying at work?

I have a lightweight commander 1911. Do you think that will work for pocket carry? What are the laws about me informing him that I am carrying while I'm working?

First, you are changing your behavior. So setting things up such as "I wear normal sized shirts, bend over etc etc." sound like you do not want to make any changes.
    So leave the firearm home.

However, if you do want to carry concealed..............concealed means concealed. You will need to change what you wear. You're changing from unarmed to armed. So a bigger shirt will be needed. If you're unwilling, you're likely to get a MWAG call on you. (MWAG = man with a gun)

If you are willing to make changes concealment is possible. I suggest a small revolver. Being at the beach it will be more concealable.
    I have a .38 snubby with Hornady Critical Defense hollow points in an IWB holster (inside the waist band) that I wear in the summer in Texas because its over 100 degree's here sometimes. Also wear your firearm at 3:00 so priinting (seeing the outline of the weapon) is less when bending over. In the winter when you're wearing more clothes a semi auto is recommended. I carry a Glock 30SF this time of year in Texas.
    USM1976 likes this.

lightweight commander 1911 looks too large for pocket carry.

A .380 is good for pocket carry.

Smart Carry

@moby I wasn't trying to say that I was unwilling to change what I wear, but I am obligated to wear what my employer provides. I will be able to get a larger size, but I was just trying to see if there was a way to do it without changing. I'm flexible I promise.

Plenty of options. Its 100 degrees here a lot and I always carry. Pocket carry, shirts with hidden pockets, spandex under shirts with fabric holsters built into them, those little hip/waist nylon bags, cargo shorts with side pockets, etc....find a way.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

For this application (warm weather activity while wearing a lightweight shirt & shorts), I've had the best success with a belly band holster and a sub-compact semi. I imagine a lightweight revolver would work almost as well as a semi.

The belly band accommodates many different carry positions, including cross draw and appendix carry, which would allow you to bend over without worrying about your gun sticking out. It also has pockets for extra mags and/or keys.

Hope that helps.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

...what state do you carry in?

Quote Originally Posted by Joeycarry View Post
    I have a lightweight commander 1911. Do you think that will work for pocket carry? What are the laws about me informing him that I am carrying while I'm working?

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    Smart Carry
    Or maybe Thunderwear. If you want to pocket carry, you need to stick with a smaller gun like the LCP with the clothes you describe.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Joeycarry View Post
    A Colt Commander is not a pocket gun...as others have noted here, you will need to make adjustments in clothing. BUT, working a job in a beach environment seems it would avail you the opportunity to wear confortable, loosely fitting clothing. A smaller handgun wold be your better option based upon your comment.

Personally, I do not carry small guns. I carry full size, service handguns because that is what I have always carried (35 years)...familiarity is what I desire in a handgun...with that said, I wear loosely fitted color T-shirts or collared golf style shirts with either jeans or shorts during the summer (yeah, even during the winters in the Houston area...LOL !!). I will repeat what I have said before, I have never, ever had anyone ask me what I had hidden under a shirt.
    Snub44 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I think that your best option is to pocket carry and the best handguns for this type of carry are a Ruger LCP in .380, a J Frame revolver in .38SPL/.357 Magnum, a Beretta Nano 9mm or a Ruger LC9 9mm. As previously mentioned, I recommend that you get a shirt one size larger and if needed, have the pockets of your work shorts/pants adjusted by a tailor to have them better fit your gun and/or reinforced to avoid printing. Also, make sure you get a good pocket holster such as the Desantis Nemesis pocket holster.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I hadn't thought of the belly band. It might be a little warm but you'd get used it.
    That allows for lots of options in pistols. I would be sure your boss knows your carrying.
    No job could be an issue.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I will be in DE and I will tell my boss that I will carry and make sure that that is ok with him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links