IWB holster comfort troubles

This is a discussion on IWB holster comfort troubles within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to concealed carry and will be taking my class soon. To get used to the weight of the gun, I've been carrying ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: IWB holster comfort troubles

I am new to concealed carry and will be taking my class soon. To get used to the weight of the gun, I've been carrying it around the house (which is legal in my state.) I'm having some comfort problems and wanted to see if it is the holster or just me not being used to it.

My gun is a .38 special S&W snubbie. I purchased a holster advertised to not need a belt as I do not normally wear a belt. My other typical clothes lend to concealed carry. I carry about the 4 o'clock position and at first it feels very comfortable, but after several hours my lower back hurts or it creates pressure points. I'm wondering if the holster is not fitting my body type, I'm positioning it badly from inexperience, I should wear a belt or I'm just not used to the weight.

Thank you for any advice.
    Johnny

From threads I've read on DC the consciences is "get a good belt" therefore, I vote for adding a belt.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

What holster?

My advice, initially, is to keep doing what you're doing... Maybe, try out a bunch of things.

About the belt thing, I think it's one of the most important parts of IWB carry. I personally don't see how folks IWB carry without a belt... to each his own... i guess. A good belt is key to comfort to me. I think a bunch of folks will pay more for a good belt than for their actual holster.

Have fun!
    Nations crumble from within when the citizenry asks of government those things which it might better provide for itself... Man is not free unless government is limited... As government expands, liberty contracts.
    -Ronald Reagan

Are you using a Remora or one of its clones? If so; snug, drawstring tight pants work for me with a J frame or even a larger gun. Try a different position, away from spine/kidney. If my back starts to talk to me, I move to 2:30 or appendix position.

The holster I'm currently using is the Ava from flashbang holsters. I picked this one because it was the only clip style holster I could find that advertises that it can be used without a belt. Considering I do not wear a belt, I thought this would be a good place to start. The only belt I do own is an old, cheap belt that is probably not helping much. I'm not against buying a belt if absolutely necessary, but thought I could save ~$50 by starting with this holster.

I will try different positions/cants to see if it helps. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcclung View Post
    The holster I'm currently using is the Ava from flashbang holsters. I picked this one because it was the only clip style holster I could find that advertises that it can be used without a belt. Considering I do not wear a belt, I thought this would be a good place to start. The only belt I do own is an old, cheap belt that is probably not helping much. I'm not against buying a belt if absolutely necessary, but thought I could save ~$50 by starting with this holster.

Because you didn't supply a pic, I had a look at this holster on the flashbang site. Their site doesn't include a pic of the revolver version, so I'll say: the cylinder needs to be at the waist, which is the soft part ABOVE the pelvic bone; and the carry angle at 20-25 degrees grip-forward.

Given that you've mentioned initial comfort followed by back pain, and carrying at 4:00, may I suggest that (1) carry forward until the top of the slide is pushing against the top, pointy part of your pelvic bone (which is where the seam of your pants is), and (2) the very wide design may be impinging on your back muscles and nerves.

So a belt, and a narrower holster, and an OWB, will likely make your body happiest, if not your wallet
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Senior Moderator
    I would say get a pistol belt if you are going to carry IWB unless its a Smartcarry or similar holster

If you don't want to spend a lot of $$$ look at a Blackhawk CQC pistol belt

If you find out that it makes a big difference then you can buy a better belt
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I would think a good belt would help. Personally I can't go without a belt or my pants start to stretch around the waistband and sag (and that is without a gun).

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

Dude...isn't that a chick rig?...I'd ditch it quick! :: Not only will the back pain go away but so will the occasional moodiness.

Quote Originally Posted by druryj View Post
    Dude...isn't that a chick rig?...I'd ditch it quick! :: Not only will the back pain go away but so will the occasional moodiness.
    +1 to this, get a Remora you won't be sorry.

I am new to concealed carry and will be taking my class soon. To get used to the weight of the gun, I've been carrying it around the house (which is legal in my state.) I'm having some comfort problems and wanted to see if it is the holster or just me not being used to it.

My gun is a .38 special S&W snubbie. I purchased a holster advertised to not need a belt as I do not normally wear a belt. My other typical clothes lend to concealed carry. I carry about the 4 o'clock position and at first it feels very comfortable, but after several hours my lower back hurts or it creates pressure points. I'm wondering if the holster is not fitting my body type, I'm positioning it badly from inexperience, I should wear a belt or I'm just not used to the weight.

Thank you for any advice.
    Johnny
    You may be carrying a little too far back. I carry a j frame just behind my strong side hip bone. I would guess 3:30ish. And yes after awhile any IWB holster will dig in some and you may need to shift it a little. Just don't do it in public!.
    Livin the Life!
    Join and Support the NRA

How long have you been wearing it? By that I don't mean how many hours per day...

I say give it more time. Takes a while to break in quality leather. Make sure the hardware on the back side isn't protruding any. It should all be flush. You may need to identify where exactly those pressure points are and what's causing them. Is it the end of the barrel, is it the grip, etc. And then adjust the ride height accordingly. Looks like from the website pic you can adjust the ride height.

Thank you everyone for the advice.

I've only had the holster for a week, maybe 10 days. Since posting, I've tried a bunch of different holster positions while changing the cant and ride height. I found the most comfortable to be about the 3:30 position. I was surprised by the change by only moving it a couple inches forward. At the 3:30 position the only pressure I can feel is the weight of the gun/holster resting on my hip. While it was not uncomfortable, I thought it would not be something I forgot I was carrying. That was before I just about walked out the door with it still on.

With the consensus being to buy a belt, I purchased a 5.11 tactical belt last night. I will update on how well it helps when I receive it.

Thanks again.

I use a Sideguard min snap. Thin and stiff. After a few positions Tried I really like it. Custom made for a great price.

Remora holsters don't require a belt and I can put it in my sweat shorts and jump around and all that happens is the holster and gun pull my britches down. It works.

I,too, have been surprised at how little movement or cant makes a world of difference in comfort and concealability.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links