Gun belt width?

Gun belt width?

This is a discussion on Gun belt width? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For the past 20+ years I have used a 1 1/4" gun belt. Most have been made by Wild Bill's Leather or the gun belts ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Gun belt width?

Gun belt width?

For the past 20+ years I have used a 1 1/4" gun belt. Most have been made by Wild Bill's Leather or the gun belts from Dillon Precision. They have always offered good support for whatever pistol I've carried in an OWB holster.

Now I'm thinking of going to a wider 1 1/2" belt if it will be better choice when carrying using an IWB holster. By better I was wondering if the wider belt would help distribute the weight better and spread the weight out over a larger area. It seems like with my 1 1/4" belts I have to cinch the belt tighter in order to keep my pants at the right height. This makes it a little uncomfortable with the belt so tight.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

Thanks
    Pyzik likes this.

cj
    I've typically used 1.5" belts with some success...until I took a class where I had to hang a lot more on the belt. End of the first day, my hips were sore...but at the last minute I'd tossed a new 1.75" belt in the suitcase that had just arrived and tried that the next day. BIG difference...like night and day...much more comfortable. So typically I use 1.5" since I don't carry much of a heavy load on a daily basis, but when I DO need to carry more, I pull out the 1.75"...so in my experience, I say go for it on trying out the wider belt!
    Pyzik likes this.

I wear a 1-1/2" (1/4" thick, double stitched) as my EDC and it's a tight fit through some belt loops. Other than that, I love it!

I say go for it.

I get mine from here.
    http://www.rgleather.freehomepage.com/catalog_2.html

Be careful of what pants you are wearing and the belt loop sizes. I wear Dockers a lot and a 1/1/2" belt it just too darn tight on the belt loops. 1 1/4" for me.

1/4" thick 1-1/4" width works well with dockers even with a 5" 1911. With jeans I like wear a little thinner 1-1/2" belt

Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    I wear a 1-1/2" (1/4" thick, double stitched) as my EDC and it's a tight fit through some belt loops. Other than that, I love it!

I say go for it.

I get mine from here.
    BELTS
    Those are some good looking belts. How long of a wait for those? I've heard good things about Beltman's and A&G Leather belts. They both ship the next day.

I'm retired and live in levis...shorts, actually...here in FL. All my belts are 1.5 inches.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Wide and thick. Some pants won't allow the width. But I find it more comfortable as you get wider. The thickness seems to keep the holster rigid and allows for a smoother draw with less belt tightness.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

...I usually wear jeans...but my Wilderness Products 1 1/2" belt fits my dress slacks loops, too...most comfortable belt I've ever worn and going on 5 years without any sign of wear...

1.5 inches wear cargo shorts mostly and maybe jeans at times.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Wide and thick. Some pants won't allow the width. But I find it more comfortable as you get wider. The thickness seems to keep the holster rigid and allows for a smoother draw with less belt tightness.
    A 1 1/2" belt is sounding more comfortable all the time.
    Pyzik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by houser52 View Post
    Those are some good looking belts. How long of a wait for those? I've heard good things about Beltman's and A&G Leather belts. They both ship the next day.
    Mine took two weeks, maybe three. But I requested black with white stitching. I'm not sure if he has standard belts ready to ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    Mine took two weeks, maybe three. But I requested black with white stitching. I'm not sure if he has standard belts ready to ship.
    I may have to call him and see is has any ready to ship.
    Thanks.
    Pyzik likes this.

I've got two of these Fat Boy Belts and love them. I know the guy that's making them. Great belts. And he's in Monroe, NC. He tries to keep a pretty good stock of the more standard sizes. It's got a different look than your standard gun belt. But it's very stiff vertically. All my holsters carry better with it.

Fat Boy Belt by TwoFoolsLeatherGoods on Etsy
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

For what is worth: I bought a 1.5 & 1.75 bull leather belt from Uncle Mike's before I went to Front Sight. Left my 1.5 at home. The 1.75 was too large for my holster. Yep. Didn't think to check it first. Had to buy a 1.5 velcro belt out there just to fit the holster. My 1.75 won't fit through all the loops on most of my dress slacks. Point is bull leather is supposed to be stronger than cowhide. Sure seems to be to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links