Getting ready for January

This is a discussion on Getting ready for January within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took the class, submitted my application. Now I have to wait until January when CCW becomes effective in Kansas. Picked up what I hope will ...

Thread: Getting ready for January

Getting ready for January

Took the class, submitted my application. Now I have to wait until January when CCW becomes effective in Kansas.
    Picked up what I hope will be my primary carry gun yesterday; a Taurus MilPro PT145. Thought I had plenty of guns to carry: Kimber Eclipse full size, Ruger SP101 and a Security Six; Colt Trooper. Quickly discovered they were too big/heavy so after considerable research went with the PT145.
    Now I've got to get the gear. IWB doesn't appeal to me, gained some weight over the last year and not in the mood to buy a new wardrobe. Think I'll order a belt and holster from Rafter S. Read a lot of good stuff about their products and the price fits my budget.
    Also considering a Fobus roto paddle and one of their Home & Vehicle mounts to put in my car. Just not sure how I'll like the plastic; leather just feels and smells sooo good!

Messing around the the Taurus today and discovered it fits just fine in my back pocket. Anyone make a pocket holster for it?
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

2. Remove Ads

If you want leather from a custom maker, you better get that order placed...I did see that Nate at UBG Holsters was promising delivery by Christmas, and he does good work, so there's an idea: http://www.ubgholsters.com/

Good to see you and hopefully thousands of other law-abiding Kansans begin to carry soon!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Administrator

Thumbs down Suggestion:

Do not buy the Fobus roto paddle for concealed carry.
    If you do...then just remember that good ol' Uncle QKShooter forewarned you that you would look like you had a large plastic tumor growing on your waist.
    Fine for "open carry" or the range...not so good for concealed carry.
    Just my highly respected personal opinion on that.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Desantis , Galco,Don Hume, and many others make pocket holsters
    that your Taurus will fit in.

The Desantis Nemesis is inexpensive if you want to try pocket carry

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Don't forget the Ruger SP101

When you were naming your existing handguns, I noticed a Ruger SP101 mentioned among several larger guns. The SP101 is generally a very concealable gun in the right OWB holster, and gives you 5 rounds of a very potent caliber before reload. It might be a good alternative to your new .45 for certain occasions and types of clothing. I personally think that snubby revolvers conceal more easily than semiautos of similar size and weight, because of their short, narrow barrels and short, curved grips.

Here is a picture of an SP101 (not mine) that I lifted from a web posting that showed the gun with a very nice leather Fist OWB holster.
    Attached Images

Thanks for all the replies! I've not even seen a Fobus roto, was interested in it for the vehicle mount option.
    I'm not writing off the SP101 as a carry gun, I'm sure it will get some use.
    I think I'm going to go ahead and order a belt and holster from Rafter S for the PT145. Which brings up another question but I'll start a new thread with it.
    Thanks again!

Senior Moderator
    Try smart carry for your SP101 you might be surprised and like the smartcarry system.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Try smart carry for your SP101 you might be surprised and like the smartcarry system.
    I'm a bluejeans kind of guy and lately they've all been fitting tight (either they shrank or I grew) For that reason I think the smartcarry or IWB options are out. At least until my jeans strech or I shrink

Links