Dog walk carry

Dog walk carry

This is a discussion on Dog walk carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No, this isnt some new carry method. I took my first "armed" walk with my dog Cotton last night, with it being about 20 degrees ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Dog walk carry

Dog walk carry

No, this isnt some new carry method.
    I took my first "armed" walk with my dog Cotton last night, with it being about 20 degrees out I put on my winter coat, slipped on my Galco paddle lite holster and away we went. It didn't take long for me to realize it would be next to impossible to draw quickly with this set up. I went ahead and unzipped my coat and fastened it with the velcro it had but that is a bit drafty. So I am soliciting ideas on a better way to carry. I thought about pocket carry but my coat has huge pockets and I do not think there is anything for the holster to catch on and no one wants to point their holstered gun at a bg.

So what would you all do in this situation?

BTW- I carry a Taurus 651

Re: Dog walk carry

I was thinking about this the other day. I came to the conclusion that I would let loose the dog to run a second or two of interference, hopefully giving me time to draw. Considering that people cross the street when they see her, I figure she might even be enough deterrent to prevent confrontation in the first place.

Respectfully,
    Sam

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
    Take the long way home...

Move to Florida, 20 degrees Id shoot myself

Big pockets? A nice little S&W 642 fits nicely into the jacket slash pockets, and if push comes to shove, you can fire it right where it is, without worry of it jamming. AND never take your hands out of your pockets. A win win solution.
    KBSR and teach like this.

When it is cold enough to wear a heavy coat while dog walking (not often here in SC), I use either a Kangaroo Carry or a shoulder holster. With the coat slightly unzipped, it is easy to reach in and draw.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Dog walk carry

i just practice drawing from my regular holster with my coat on.
    Rcher and GlockRacer like this.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    i just practice drawing from my regular holster with my coat on.
    Exactly, muscle memory goes a long ways.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

My EDC is a Kahr PM9. In warm weather, covered by a shirt or sweater, I carry IWB. In cold weather, wearing a heavy coat, I pocket carry in the coat

Big pockets? No problem. Don't waste time drawing. Shoot through the jacket. Your hand is in your pocket already, and the pistol is in your hand. Just shoot. The reason cops always tell people "Show me your hands" is to avoid this. The BG won't get that option.

Be safe.
    NCSoxFan likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

GH
    I've come up with a system that seems to work well for me. I mount my holster in the appendix position. All I have to do is shake my glove off, unzip my jacket about 3/4 down & reach in to draw my gun. No clothing has to be moved aside for a fast draw. I can even continue holding the leash with my left hand. All can be accomplished with my right hand & is faster than it takes to type this. I practice drawing each time I make a position change of my gun to build up a certain amount of muscle memory.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    I always take my S&W Governor on my dog walks, we go thru some woods and trails. I use a DeSantis shoulder rig. The shots are half .410 shot and half 45 Colt. Our walks are alway at night and most of the year it is dark. My jacket is loose fitted and the access is good.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Thanks for the replies. Those of you suggesting just to shoot through the pocket, would you just not use a holster?

Since you're using a shrouded hammer I am with the "shoot through the pocket" crowd. No holster, but also NOTHING else goes in that pocket. That's the gun's pocket.

Other than that, I say open carry. I know a lot of folks don't like it but it is THE easiest to draw from.

I walk the dog twice a day here in SE Michigan. Like you I realized my normal warm weather carry solution left a lot to be desired in the winter. My solution is to use an Uncle Mike's pocket holster with my Walther PPS during cold weather. I do not wear a glove on the hand that goes in the pocket with the pistol. Not only does this help my access to my gun, it makes picking up poop more effective so I consider it to be a win win.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Thanks guys I will see how she rides in my coat pocket.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links