Hidden Hybrids First Impressions/Experrience

This is a discussion on Hidden Hybrids First Impressions/Experrience within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, I know all these hybrid leather/kydex holsters are basically the same, and it's probably safe to say you'll be happy with whatever you ...

Thread: Hidden Hybrids First Impressions/Experrience

Hey all,

I know all these hybrid leather/kydex holsters are basically the same, and it's probably safe to say you'll be happy with whatever you get. To me, it's the small details and the experience that make the difference, so I thought I'd share mine with Hidden Hybrid Holsters. When I first started researching them, I made my decision based on a few details that I felt they had right (for me): First, the stitching all around the leather and all cuts makes it appear a higher level of fit and finish than most. The removable/replaceable clips, the belt holes that allow it to be worn OWB (why don't more do this?), and the adjustable tension/cant/height all seemed really well-done. I also wear an undershirt every day, so skin on skin/moisture isn't a big issue for me, and I like the rough side in on the HHH line, that will keep it anchored to my undershirt.

I placed an order with them on 1/19 for my S&W Shield. Despite their estimated 6-8 week wait time, I got mine today, in only 3 1/2 weeks! Obviously I haven't had time to wear it much yet, so this isn't a full review, but rather more of a shout-out. My first impression of the holster is that it's even higher quality than I thought. It's gorgeously crafted. Very thick leather, finely burnished/rounded edges, the stitches are very tight and clean. The retention is crisp and positive...everything just seems so precise. The price on this holster was less than most of this type as well, at only $59.00. In the package, they also put a few business cards (which I will gladly be passing on), a hex key to adjust the mounts, and a pocket constitution! --A small thing, but a very nice touch.

I have a Milt Sparks VM2 on order (5-6 month wait there...not expecting a 3 1/2 week surprise LOL), but I'm very excited to have this holster in the meantime. I have no doubt I will enjoy it immensely. Who knows, by the time my VM2 gets here, I might not even want it! :) Since I ordered this one, I've continued to do additional research, and I've seen some hybrid designs and kits and such that I really like. But as of right now, based on what I've seen of the company, the experience, and the product itself, I would order another HHH in a heartbeat.

Ricky

Alright, so it's been about a week...wanted to update, even though it's not worth much: After a week of wearing this badboy, I've decided it's not for me as an IWB holster. For the time being, that's how I'm looking to carry. Not all is lost with this, though, as one of the features I liked when I bought it is its ability to be worn OWB. I am untucked pretty much 100% of the time (even "dressed up," I can still pull off the untucked tails, mussed hair, loose tie look), so I think OWB may be an option for me. Still, I want to find an IWB solution that will work first.
    The problem with this holster, I find, isn't the holster itself. It's my body as much as anything. I'm not a huge fatty, but I'm not exactly petite either. The thickness of the heavy leather on this holster and the kydex sheath stacked on top of that makes for a rather huge "investment" of real estate on my hip, and when sitting, I found that everything was too rigid and stable for the gun to have any play, so it was ultimately jammed into my side. I'd listen more to the "it's not supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be comfortING" crowd, but I'm not buying it. --Primarily because I had a small leather holster I bought to get me through the wait for this one that is extremely comfortable. The reason I didn't just stick with that first leather holster is because it has only 1 offset clip and no reinforcement on the mouth, so re-holstering is an ordeal. I do realize that re-holstering isn't the most important part, and in the course of a normal day (when the gun isn't being fired) it shouldn't even have to happen once, but it also doesn't lend itself to practice drawing...just wasn't quite right.
    It's been educational to say the least, this holster journey. I can definitely see why people end up with a box of holsters. Are some holsters junk? I'm sure, but I can say that so far, none of mine are...they just have their own sets of issues that end up being incompatible with one or more characteristics of my body, or how I want to carry, or what I look for in a holster. --And they really have to be tried to figure out what those issues are.

So, do I have anything negative to say about this holster? Absolutely not. I still think it is absolutely beautiful, and I seriously hope to be able to use it OWB. I'll be taking the clips off tonight and trying that out, and I'm excited to do so. In the meantime, I just today got another leather holster--this time from Winthrop Holsters--that is actually looking pretty promising. It's a pretty piece, it's probably about as comfortable as my other leather one, but it's much more stable for re-holstering, and it is much smaller than the hybrid. It's stiff as anything, and nearly impossible to pull the gun out of, but I think that's a GREAT place to start...gives me room to break it in. And if it feels this comfortable stiff, I can't wait to find out how it feels once it's loosened up a bit. I have noticed a couple of niggles with the design--things I could change right away that I think would allow it to sit more comfortably on my hip. --And it just so happens that those changes would essentially make it a Milt Sparks VM2, which I'm happy to say I have on order. It looks like each step of the way, the more I learn, the more the VM2 seems like the ideal holster for me. But time will tell. I may do a video soon running through my process and what I've learned about these holsters. If I do, I'll be sure to post it up here.

Thanks for reading,

Ricky

I love my hidden hybrid for all the reasons you already mentioned. I liked the one I got for my shield so much I bought one for my G17. The quality is top notch, and I really like the adjustable retention. I tried a Galco King Tuk and it was cheaply built and my pistol would bind so badly I couldn't draw it.

Links