Build your own holster !!!! OWB Boned Leather Holster

This is a discussion on Build your own holster !!!! OWB Boned Leather Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Everyday there is a post of someone looking for a holster for this gun or that, with every response recommending a different product, so I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By luke213

Thread: Build your own holster !!!! OWB Boned Leather Holster

Build your own holster !!!! OWB Boned Leather Holster

Everyday there is a post of someone looking for a holster for this gun or that, with every response recommending a different product, so I thought I would share this with everyone, especially for the crafty ones of us out there that like a good challenge. I came across this this morning and I am definitely going to give it a try. Its not as complicated as you think, and the finished product is very good looking. This is a step by step tutorial with great pictures.

Holster Making Tutorial

2. Remove Ads

Very informative.
    Even if you don't want to try it,
    the process is quite interesting.
    Thanks,
    Fin

I thought the same thing, and it gave me a greater appreciation for the time and work that goes into a hand made holster.

Well, that is a bunch of tools that I don't own. I am sure I could compromise and figure something out, or just leave it to the professionals.

I agree that it is very informative.

Re: Build your own holster !!!! OWB Boned Leather Holster

Very cool. I don't have the tools or patience but it's interesting to see what goes into it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Just a note tool wise you can make a very serviceable rig with next to nothing, or things you made for the process. However the end results are going to depend on your skills as well as the materials you use and the tools. For instance you could give someone who's made a couple thousand holsters a knife, edger, awl, some thread along with some finish wax and oil, and they will turn out a holster that looks nearly as good as their production gear without any automated tools. It will take more time, but you can do it with well based on that list like under $20 in tools. For bunishing you can use antler if you've got it handy or the end of a sharpie marker or virtually anything else that's smooth enough to not scar the leather etc, for boning. You can also get a fair bit of detail from your fingers.

Either way if someone is interested in making a holster don't let the tools get in the way, allot of what we may use daily to produce holsters has more to do with putting those finishing touches on them that set the bar a little higher as well as making our jobs easier and faster. But once you make some holsters you realize very quickly that some people have a heck of a talent to building beautiful gear that's for sure. However it also gives you the chance to try and make your own holsters equal to their's;)

Take care!

Luke
    foxytwo likes this.
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

One of these days I need to pay Shane a visit. He doesn't live far from me. I used his tutorial years ago to build my first CC holster. I have built many since then.

That's the tutorial that started me in leather too. You can certainly do a lot with a little. And with some ingenuity you can do even more. I have made a lot of my tools and been using toothbrush handles, antler tines, and other stuff for about a year now. No reason to replace it if it works.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    That's the tutorial that started me in leather too. You can certainly do a lot with a little. And with some ingenuity you can do even more. I have made a lot of my tools and been using toothbrush handles, antler tines, and other stuff for about a year now. No reason to replace it if it works.
    I think chiefjason will affirm that this methodology is not enough to make a handsome holster. And it's just plain wrong to make a set of patterns around a big 9 and then mould the holster around a small 9. This is Tandy-class holster-making, your holsters are not made this way, and are far better for it.

Luke is certainly right.

And of course you can get the bug and start your own holster company like I did 7 years ago after making a few for "fun"!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I will say that tutorial was what gave me the confidence to move from hybrids over to all leather. But the information I have gleaned from a lot of Red's posts has certainly changed the methods I use to make my holsters now. It's a starting point. It was baby step 1 for me. I've picked up a ton of information here and at leatherworker.net along the way too. And yeah, at this point I'm a long way from where I started. If the set I'm working on now comes out the way it's looking like it will I need to post some pics here.

And "fun" has now become part-time work for me too.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links