Please advise. I need help.

This is a discussion on Please advise. I need help. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am embarrassed to admit this, but am among friends here.... so here is the problem. My first time having an inside the waistband Fobus ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please advise. I need help.

Unhappy Please advise. I need help.

I am embarrassed to admit this, but am among friends here....
    so here is the problem. My first time having an inside the waistband Fobus holster. Wearing it around the house, and practicing drawing my gun, I almost always end up drawing the holster out of my pants with the gun still in the holster. Sounds crazy I guess, but I have no idea what I am doing wrong.
    Any suggestions are appreciated.
    The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance

2. Remove Ads

My guess is that the hooks for the belt are not properly attached to belt. Moving around may disengage them. this is a problem people have with holsters that do not have belt loops.

Assistant Administrator
    The other ''feature'' with Fobus rigs is that they are pretty fierce on retention.

If you make sure your belt clips hold pretty well - try what I call an ''inertial'' draw - very fast and brisk - this helps make a rapid break of the rig's hold - so quick it can't follow easily.

Back when I had a paddle OWB for my P95 I found this made all the difference.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well my guess is you dont have the holster hooked on the belt properly or your belt just isnt thick enough. Look into a double thick gun belt and if that doesnt work......
    You may want to try a different style of holster.
    Shoot well and god bless.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Fobus IWB holster... is the most poorly designed holster I have even owned. If this is what you are talking about: https://secure.fobusholster.com/cata...8a0c9b9fdde6d8 then you definitely need a new holster. The only thing that keeps the holster from coming out of your pants is the pressure being exerted on it by your pants and body. There is no functional hook that stops it from coming out of your pants. There is a small non-functional hook, that is supposed to attach to something on the inside of your pants, but nothing else. This was the first holster I bought (from eBay), and I promptly sold it right back (on eBay). The holster makers out there can correct me if I am wrong, but based on personal experience for me, and the picture for others this holster just will not work. Invest in a quality IWB holster from one of the holster makers on the site, and save yourself frustration and the possibility of drawing your holster and your gun in a self-defense situation.

So don't feel bad, as this is not your fault, but the fault of Fobus for making such a useless holster.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

New Member Array Booker T. Johnson's Avatar
    I agree with P95Carry, follow what he said, and you should have no problems.

It's also possible (depending on the holster) that it just hasn't been broken in properly or sufficiently.

In any case though, you definitely need a good belt and holster combo. Providing more details about what you have will help identify the problem.

As a 'Spokesperson' for Fist...

not really, but every clip-on holster I have from fist (at least 20)...can not be removed when drawing the weapon. All are IWB, and the clip design makes it darn near impossible for the holster to be removed unless you are taking it off. There is a...back edge...to the clip that locks it to a good belt...and actually, it works very well without a belt too!
    My Fist holsters are good leather, boned, and perfect fits to each weapon...
    There also seems to be some great holster makers on this forum, and they may have some different advice for you!

OMO...your opinion my vary!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I owned a Fobus holster once, for about an hour and a half. Long enpugh to get it home, try it out, and have it hold my pistol tightly about every fifth draw. I looked like something out of Dumb and Dumber, standing there, half twisted around, hauling on this stupid pistol someone had Super Glued to my ass. I decided that holster was the most dangerous item in the gun store. It was more likely to get me killed than anything else. I no longer own a Fobus holster.

I've tweaked a Fobus after having the same problem.

Using a heat gun, I heated it up around the trigger guard area (carefully, don't melt it) and then slipped the pistol in, but not all the way, far enough that it forced the trigger guard retention area a bit wider than it usually rests against the pistol's trigger guard. Let it set this way a couple of minutes as it cools.

Try holstering and drawing and it should be smoother.

If that doesn't help, be a bit more agressive with another "treatment" to the holster.

Others are right, though...I got Fobus out of my life, they are junk.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I appreciate all the advice, feel better and.... a pic here?

Is there a way I can upload a couple of pictures of my holster and gun to this site? I am about ready to come to the conclusion I do not want to force myself to stick with this holster. God forbid I will ever Need to draw my weapon, but in today's increasingly violent world, I do not want to even think of having to defend myself or family and quickly draw my gun with the holster still attached. With bad guys there is no "time out" or do-overs.

Administrator
    Your problem = Fobus - Fobus = Your Problem.
    Can you tell that I personally hate Fobus holsters?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I may very well be in the group

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Your problem = Fobus - Fobus = Your Problem.
    Can you tell that I personally hate Fobus holsters?
    I mean right now Fobus and I are not the best of friends.
    Attached Images

The Fobus holster and gun in question.

Repair link...notice that your original url shows "photobucket.ht.com"
    That "ht" should have been at the beginning of your URL address which should always read: http://

Regards...QKShooter

tp://i132.photobucket.htcom/albums/q33/MTHall49/GunYes.jpg

Lead Moderator
    Link does not open, but I agree with others. Fobus next to useless. maybe as a range holster, but nothing more. I think if you try a holster from one of the makers here or a different high quality maker you will be amazed.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links