IWB worn OWB

IWB worn OWB

This is a discussion on IWB worn OWB within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What would there be fore potential problem wearing a hybrid IWB ie CB, Whitehat etc OWB other then maybe not being able to use one ...

Thread: IWB worn OWB

IWB worn OWB

What would there be fore potential problem wearing a hybrid IWB ie CB, Whitehat etc OWB other then maybe not being able to use one of the pants beltloops?
    I know someone makes a hybrid with both belt clips and slots but I hate slots and would prefer clips or snap loops.

No that is not a hybrid that full kydex.

Thanks

The whole point of the leather part of a hybrid is to give it structure and comfort IWB, that concept doesn't translate to OWB carry, it will just add weight your belt down and make it lean out. What would you want all the extra bulk hanging off your belt for when it isn't serving any functional purpose?

Re: IWB worn OWB

Just get a Crossbreed and an OWB for open carry... Gotta remember K. I. S. S. When it comes to carry...

In God and Glock we Trust

I "assume" you are talking about inside the belt but outside of the pants. It might work. I had thought about doing it on one of mine since I have "grown" a little around the waist. I'd also like to hear from anyone who has tried it.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Try it and see what happens.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

When you loose that one belt loop you loose structure in the system. That loss will lead to sagging, flopping, and lack of stability. Buy holsters dedicated to what you want them to do. Very few holsters are capable of doing multiple things well without sacrificing something in the process. Holsters dedicated to the type of carry you want are far superior IMO.

The things that make a hybrid IWB comfortable IWB will make it uncomfortable and bulky OWB. An OWB used IWB will be too small to distribute the weight appropriately even if you add clips.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I wear my CompTac Minotaur Hybrid IWB holster as an OWB many many times. I probably use it OWB more often than IWB.

I lose one belt loop support but I wear a stiff gun belt and it makes very little difference.

I will add that I do have a custom leather OWB holster ordered from Zlogonje Leather.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

These answers are the reason I asked the question.
    I assumed the belt carried the weight of the holster and wouldnt matter IWB or OWB, I cannot see how one pant belt loop made of clothe would add or detract that much support difference isnt the holster supported by the belt and not the pants?

If the holster is between my body and the belt how can it sag or flop?
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rem700 View Post
    These answers are the reason I asked the question.
    I assumed the belt carried the weight of the holster and wouldnt matter IWB or OWB, I cannot see how one pant belt loop made of clothe would add or detract that much support difference isnt the holster supported by the belt and not the pants?

If the holster is between my body and the belt how can it sag or flop?
    I do exactly what you show in your pic. I admit it will droop just a little, maybe half inch more than with the extra loop, but the belt loop is simply a vertical position locator not a support factor.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

You dont eat soup with a fork or cut steak with a butter knife. A tool used in a manner inconsistent with its design always has a potential to fail or cause problems. I understand your reasoning, but its still not a risk i am willing to take.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

How many use a soup spoon for eating soup vs a tablespoon.
    How many use a table knife for butter vs a butter knife?
    If its a good steak I can get by with a table knife for cutting steak

You are absolutely correct, but are you willing to stake your life on the performance of a holster when used inconsistently with its design? Im not.... I would like to live to try and eat soup with a fork .....
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Links