Beginning to hate IWB.

This is a discussion on Beginning to hate IWB. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it me being a baby, A bad holster, the gun, carry position or is IWB just uncomfortable? So I am new to CCW and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Beginning to hate IWB.

Beginning to hate IWB.

Is it me being a baby, A bad holster, the gun, carry position or is IWB just uncomfortable?

So I am new to CCW and I have been carrying a Taurus 651 in a pro gear holster at about 4'o'clock.I carried everyday after work and all weekend and my hip where the gun sits is killing me. So I need suggestions on how to carry more comfortably. I normally wear jeans and a t-shirt except to church then its a tucked in button up and jeans. I have a remora holster on the way but I am afraid it will cause the same pain.

I know carrying a gun is suppose to be comforting not comfortable but there has to be a happy medium. Please help me carry more comfortably or tell me to suck it up and get used to it.

Thanks,

Teach

2. Remove Ads

Since you are new to CCW, it could be any combo of holster, gun, weight, body type, belt and other variables. That's why so many gun owners have a 'holster drawer' of items that didn't quite work out.

I know several who have switched to Appendix-IWB and it has helped alleviate back pain from carrying at 4:00.

It's my preferable carry position and I would not go back to 4 for anything.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teach View Post
    Is it me being a baby, A bad holster, they gun, carry position or is IWB just uncomfortable?

So I am new to CCW and I have been carrying a taurus 651 in a pro gear holster at about 4'o'clock.I carried everyday after work and all weekend and my hip where the gun sits is killing me. So I need suggestions on how to carry more comfortably. I normally wear jeans and a t-shirt except to church then its a tucked in button up and jeans. I have a remora holster on the way but I am afraid it will cause the same pain.

I know carrying a gun is suppose to be comforting not comfortable but there has to be a happy medium. Please help me carry more comfortably or tell me to suck it up and get used to it.

Thanks,

Teach
    I went through several holsters, all highly recommended, before I arrived at one I did not completely hate. Hybrid holsters, for example, are extremely uncomfortable for me, as is any position outside of 3:00 for strong side carry. Conversely, when I mirror carry, my other gun goes at about the 8:30 position. I just kept at it until I arrived at the combination I could work with. I prefer very wide-platformed thin holsters on firm gun belts.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

There shouldn't be any pain or discomfort in any form of carrying. Experiment with different positions and holsters until you find what works for you.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    While holsters and carry position are very important, having a very stiff gun belt can alleviate some discomfort.

I have been using the Ares Gear Ranger Belt and love it. I wear it even when I know that I wont be carrying.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Welcome to the wonderful world of finding the right holster. Like ScottM said, most of us have a drawer full of holsters and many of us still haven't found the "right" holster yet.

Just as an example, unlike Mike1956, I have found a hybrid holster to be the most comfortable of the holsters I have. My carry is at the 8:00 to 8:30 position (yes, I'm a lefty), and I find it to be most comfortable.

The only solution I see for you is to either join the rest of us in the Great Holster Hunt, or give up and be prepared to be uncomfortable. I am pretty sure you will have the same results if you go to OWB, it's just that you will have to add more concerns about a cover garment, as well.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

One issue can be the fact that you now are putting pressure on nerves that aren't used to it,over time you may become accustomed to it,If not then you may need to look into OWB and get used to the Untucked Cool Kid look
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It took me a while but I am either appendix, 3 o'clock or sob for comfort. Sob is useless if you are up and down a lot.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Sounds like you need to grab yourself a Remora.
    Primary CC - Sig P938
    USMC Veteran 87-93

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post
    It took me a while but I am either appendix, 3 o'clock or sob for comfort. Sob is useless.
    Fixed it for you.
    RonCo likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Guess what? It's not natural to walk around with stuff stuck down in your britches, no matter where ya stick it. And doing so should be a matter of necessity rather than normal edc.

You see, you will find the joy of owning different guns for different purposes and dress.

And you will discover the joys of a lightweight snubby.
    R040607, WHEC724, SWIll and 2 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Thanks for all the great replies, I makes me feel better that I am not being a complete baby. Also it sounds like I am not alone. I suppose I will begin my search for a new holster, hopefully my remora arrives today and I can try it out. The only problem with it is it wont take care of my needs when I need to be tucked.

I never understood the 4 O'clock carry. I've always carried at 3 O'clock. Your body folds in the middle. Carry away from the fold. I use a Disantis IWB. Very comfortable.

Beginning to hate IWB.

Since you're new to this you've got a lot of factors and variables to consider. Many of which are going to be specific to your body (and budget).

Be patient, do not give up, and don't be afraid to customize a piece of gear to suit your needs.

I am able to carry a Glock 19 appendix IWB all day without any real discomfort.

VIP Member
    Yup, like others have said it could be a lot of things.

Get a good gun belt, if you don't already have one. Don't just use your average flimsy belt because it will cause problems.

Next, try some different positions with your current holster. I would do this before you go buying holsters simply because you don't know that it's not just a matter of finding a better position. If that doesn't provide any relief then look for a different holster. You many end up with one holster for tucked and one for untucked shirts. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

I've never tried to carry a revolver but my main CCW is bigger and heavier than that Taurus and I have no complaints like yours, so you should be good once you find the right combination of gear and technique.
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links