Breaking in my IWB holster

This is a discussion on Breaking in my IWB holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a Foxx Holster for my SR40C, and I like the holster a lot, but being it is new and I have only wore ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 1 Post By Rcher
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: Breaking in my IWB holster

I bought a Foxx Holster for my SR40C, and I like the holster a lot, but being it is new and I have only wore it 3 times now, it rubs on my side. What I mean is where the back of the slide is, the edge of the holster it a little stiff, causing the edge to rub/dig into my side a bit.

What do you recomend for conditioning/softening the leather up?

Thanks in advance,

bigdrowe

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Usually the makers suggest you dont use oils and such on the leather but baby powder may take the "sting" out of it until it breaks in

DON'T try and soften the leather with something.
    If you're wearing the holster against the skin, wear a 'wife beater' to protect the skin.
    Just like new shoes, leather will mold to the body, but I've never had a holster feel like that...I've had LOTS of holsters and they were tight to the gun (worked on that by drawing), but always comfortable to wear. Most of my holsters are either Fist or High Noon.
    Aceoky and NewtownSam like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    +1 for the wife beater or plain T-shirt between you and the holster. Maybe you just need to reposition the holster a little. You'll figure it out.
    NewtownSam likes this.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

That's why they usually give you 2 to 4 weeks to try out the holster. Just keep wearing it and it will reshape itself to your body in a few days.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Hmm wear a under shirt I haven't had that problem
    Spring field 1911a1, glock 27, tuarus pt111, colt police revolver 38spl, NAA mini, charter arms undercover .38 spl

As someone said, "Wearing the holster will reshape it to fit the body."
    So THAT's why all my holsters look round.

But, if you wear the holster for a while, like a pair of new shoes, it will break in, and if you keep moving it around outside/inside the belt, you'll find that comfortable spot.
    Aceoky likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sweet, thanks for the replies. I am glad I didn't use an oil or anything. I wear and undershirt tucked in between the holster and my body. 2 days ago it felt great...like it wasnt there. The next day, it was rubbing on my "love handle" and bothering my side a bit. I did notice though that it was not in the same location as day 1 though. I will be wearing it again after work, so I will see what I can do.

Yea my buddy bought the same holster for the same handgun, and he said he cant tell at all that he is wearing it...fits good he said, but has been carrying for over 2 months now.

Thanks

Neutral Shoe Wax like ( KIWI) ETC.Is safe to use on any leather to make it more ply able without making it soft.? Plus it protects the leather from rot & moisture etc.?Put it on leave it on a few minutes then buff it off with a soft lint free cloth

Give it time it will break in. Im still breaking in my galco king-tuk. Its getting better just takin a bit of time. Stay safe.

I sandwiched my IWB for my SR9c between two t-shirts, still do. After a few weeks these things get beat in so nice you won't believe how comfortable they can be.

Respectfully,
    Sam
    Take the long way home...

VIP Member
    I have received several "custom" holsters in the past which still had the sharp edges rendered by the cutting knife. Running a leather edger along that inside line takes that edge, and the discomfort off.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I have taken a high speed dremal tool with a polishing wheel to the edge that rubbed and burnished it with a a little wax and that helped.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by bigdrowe View Post
    ... where the back of the slide is, the edge of the holster it a little stiff, causing the edge to rub/dig into my side a bit.
    If all that's at issue is the stiffness along the edge of the sweat guard, then IMO it shouldn't be a problem to soften that spot up much like you'd do with a brand new baseball glove. Though, the burnishing/waxing method sounds like it might work well, too.

But the warnings from others are well taken, I'd say: be very, very careful not to come anywhere near a part of the holster that's going to risk the integrity of the holster, in terms of its ability to firmly hold your gun and stand up to the rigors of daily carry for years.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Mink oil is great for helping a holster break in. It moistens the leather and should be done at least twice a year for maintenance. You can also use saddle soap do clean it when needed. Remember, leather WILL dry out. It does need your help once in a while. I don't however recommend the baby power thing, it will absorb moisture from the leather and while it may stop a squeak it's not help the life of your holster in the long run.

Links