Concealed Carry Options for Females

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Options for Females within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everybody, This is a great forum and this is my first post. I hope it's OK to ask a question using my husband's account. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry Options for Females

Hi everybody,

This is a great forum and this is my first post. I hope it's OK to ask a question using my husband's account. If it's not I'll open one but I just have a few questions.

I'm new at concealed carry since just last fall. I have a Ruger LCR .38 revolver. Finding ways to carry in women's clothes is sometimes a little more difficult than what men can do. I'm fine with jeans and an untucked blouse or larger cut shirt. I carry with an inside my pants holster just forward of my hipbone and have no problems. And with the winter weather carrying in my large coat pocket in a Remora holster works great.

But there's still an unsolved problem with wearing a dress. With a separate skirt and blouse I found wearing a belly band and carrying low and forward is OK but it still shows a little. The biggest problem is with a one-piece dress. What are some of your wives and girlfriends doing in that case?

I've watched alot of videos on YouTube with the young lady who seems to have a holster for every situation. Problem is she's petite and slim and not all of us are that way. I also have watched the videos by the other lady who sells all the other types of holsters but still haven't seen what I think will work for me.

So far the only things I've seen for a dress are the thigh carry holster, kind of like a garter, but that was on the slim young lady with a little more space between her thighs. And I've seen the bra holsters but that just doesn't look very practical to me.

If there's any wives or girlfriends that can give me some ideas on how you carry in a dress, please let me know. I also haven't yet figured out what to do when warm weather comes back and I'll be wearing lighter clothes.

The amount of great information being exchanged on this forum is just amazing and I'm enjoying reading all the posts. Thank you very much.

I guess I'm "Mrs. Slider51"

2. Remove Ads

My wife carries in the Remora thigh holster although that is with the much thinner/smaller S&W Bodyguard 380. I know you said that's an issue for you but it's really the only option for the one piece dress. Have you ever considered using the thigh holster with the firearm on the outer part of your leg? Maybe you should consider getting a pocket 9mm or a 380 that would probably be your best bet.

Best of luck in your search.

My sister has the same problem.I think your options,so far as a dress goes,the options are slim.Maybe sooner or later someone will come up with something

Head over to CorneredCat.com and you should be able to get some good info over there. A site created by a woman for women who carry. Good luck!
    Hopyard likes this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Kathy Jackson is the "go to" person on this subject and she's more than willing to help.

Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

Welcome to the forum and hope you get some help here or C-C forum

If the dress has a v-neck that you can draw through, you could try wearing your belly band just under your bra. Position the gun wherever it hides best - under your weak side arm, under your weak side bra cup, or in the 'flash bang' (center) position. Then you draw through your neckline.

Check out the footage at at 1:44 in the Belly Band video here: Women's Holster Talk

Hope that helps.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

This is one video that might help....
    "Conceiled Carry holsters and outfits for women"
    Concealed Carry Holsters & Outfits for Women - YouTube

"faliaphotaghraphy" has a bunch of other great videos with examples you can see on youtube as well.....

Good luck!

Knew a lady who passed away a few years ago had retired from a certain "company". A 32acp in a thigh holster was in her bedside table when we went to sort her belongings. She always wore skirts or dresses and I never knew she carried anything. Guess that was the point.

Thank You Everyone!

From Mrs. Slider51,

So many responses from so many people willing to help! Thank you all so much. I got some good ideas from alot of the responses and I'm so glad I asked my questions here.

I pretty much can't change guns from the LCR. I have a medical issue that results in limited hand strength. We shopped for a couple of weeks and the result was that I just don't have the hand and wrist strength to operate the slide on any semi-automatic pistol, and I must have tried 30 different ones. So that limits me to a revolver. The LCR had the lightest trigger pull of any revolver I tried. But even then after two times at the range I had to have a gunsmith lighten and smooth the trigger pull to be able to fire it repeatedly and accurately. The good news is it worked and I'm doing well with the LCR. Just ask my husband about how many times I've outscored him at the range

I shouldn't have said that the bra holster looked impractical. It's just that it's a clamp type holster (I think it's called "clamshell"?). In all my holster shopping I again ran into the strength problems in pulling my gun from that type of holster. I pretty much need to stick with soft holsters. I'm built alot like the lady demonstrating it in the video so hiding it isn't so much a problem but pulling the gun from it would be.

I liked the idea of wearing the belly band high under my bra and will definitely give that a try. That might work for most of my dresses which are V-neck but not so well for others. MrsHB, probably for me the center position would work best with the grip of my gun, well, um, in between (sorry, I can't think of a different way to say it).

Seeing a few other videos you pointed out with the thigh holster in different positions around my leg may work well. I think the next step will be ordering one and giving it a try. It was good to see the same type of holster by two or three makers. The young lady at faliaphotography seems to wear hers inside most of the time. I didn't realize wearing it outside my leg wouldn't show much.

I'm also definitely going to try to contact Kathy Jackson. There's so much information on her blog it looks a little daunting so I think I'll just try to talk to her personally about my particular needs.

Any way, thank you so much to all of you who took the time to reply to me. I have to admit I was a little leery about asking questions like this on a website and the kind of responses I'd get. I was wrong. I really appreciate it and you all have made me feel very welcome here. I should have known that though. In the last 5 months or so I've found that "gun people" are some of the nicest and most helpful people I've ever met. I think I might just have to open my own account instead of using my husband's as I can see this is a friendly place!

Thank you all again,

Mrs. Slider51
    Aceoky, MrsHB and guitarzNgunz like this.

A thigh holster and a Flashbang work for my wife when wearing a dress or skirt. She carries a Taurus® Mdl 85SS2UL 38 Special.
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Instead of a standard semi auto, what about something like a beretta tomcat. It uses a tip up barrel to load instead racking a slide. Would be very easy for you to load and go. The tomcat in .32 acp would make a great little hide away gun especially in a thigh holster. also the light recoil makes shooting such a small gun very easy and accurate. Keep in mind this is true defense range gun and caliber, but its discreet form factor makes it a very viable option for many uses.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I only have a few women friends that regularly carry their firearms. 2 tried the bra holster and got rid if it. I guess it can pinch bit for those with above average breast size and it has all the muzzle safety issues of a shoulder rig. a good option with practice but not for everyone.

all 3 of them have resigned themselves to handbag carry when they wear clothes not conducive to IWB. the upside to handbag carry is that you can easily conceal a full size gun in a small handbag.

Send a PM to limatunes, she might be able to either answer your question, or direct you to someone who can.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I wear shorts under my dresses with my regular belt and IWB holster. Works better with knee length but I've practices with floor length some. It works for most of my dresses except tighter fitting ones, I've pretty much moved them to the back of the closet.
    www.packingpretty.com has some good suggestions for carrying on body for women

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links