Belt or paddle?

This is a discussion on Belt or paddle? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Getting ready to order my first CCW holster, would like opinions on OWB belt holsters vs paddle. Seems to me the paddle would be easier ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belt or paddle?

Belt or paddle?

Getting ready to order my first CCW holster, would like opinions on OWB belt holsters vs paddle.
    Seems to me the paddle would be easier to remove for those times you can't or don't want to carry.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

2. Remove Ads

Paddle don't conceal as well as a good OWB. IWB conceal even better but a lot of people find then uncomfortable. If you are like the rest of us you will have a box full of holster to find the "perfect one". i have OWB and IWB for almost all of my guns. Depends on the mood and clothing choice of the day.

Good luck and HOORAH for Kansas
    -Biker

I have/have carried both and will offer some of my observations as food for thought. The first thing I will mention is that one of the big reasons I chose to use those holsters over an IWB was that I like carrying a full size handgun (Springfield TRP or Sig P220ST is what I carry...both 40 oz handguns) and I noticed that to support the weight, I needed my belt pretty snug to prevent "tipping" and to keep my pants from falling down. IWB prevented me from having my belt snug because it dug my handguns into my side. The OWB holsters I have do a better job of holding the butt of the gun tight to my side and keeping a very narrow concealed profile. The paddle holster I have does create a little wider profile, but because of the broad contact area with my belt/beltline do a very nice job of supporting the weight evenly (as opposed to just one "heavy spot" on your side), it is also much easier to take off, and is much less prone to moving due to body position due to the paddle reducing the pushing of my hip against the muzzle area of the holster when I sit down and stand up. In short, neither would be a BAD choice, but if I was in a job/social situation where I was taking it off and on, or sitting and standing repeatedly, I would pick the paddle. If I am in a situation where I know I'll be standing and walking around mostly, I wear the OWB for the narrowest profile possible. The other thing I will share is that I wanted to flog myself severely for waiting as long as I did before spending the money for a GOOD quality gunbelt. If you are on a tight budget, skimp a little on the holster, NOT on a good gunbelt. Hope it helps.
    Last edited by snoozedoc; October 30th, 2006 at 01:46 PM. Reason: caught my own bad grammer!!

From a design standpoint, the paddle while it adds the ability to quickly take off the holster it has its flaws with retention and not being as concealable as a good pancake holster.

Belt holsters are next in the hardest to conceal well category.

The best for OWB (in my opinion) is the pancake because it is flatter than the belt or paddle holster, there are designers that have pancakes that snap in place allowing the option of quick removal.
    Ranger Gunleather

If light rails were needed on handguns John Browning would have included it on the 1911.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    If you want easy on/off and close fitting try one of the OWBs with snaps like this Alessi CQC/S....it's the best of both worlds...and more than a few makers including our own Matt Del Fatti and K&D offer this design....

Being from Ohio I like the paddle better. This is only because in Ohio we have to carry open while in a motor vehicle. This being the case it is eaiser to rotate the holster from the 4 o'clock position where I usually wear it to about the 1 o'clock so it is open in the car. As far as comfort, it is my opinion only, that belt holsters are better.

Try the blackhawk CQC series holster for around $40.00 to $50.00. It comes with a paddle AND belt backing that are interchangeable so you can decide for yourself. I'm lefthanded and the paddle works well for me for quick removal. If I was righthanded I might use the belt option becasuse it would also be easy to remove. A belt holster on the left side requires me to release my belt, pull the belt out of three loops, swing it to the left side, remove the belt holster,... well you get the idea. Alot of work for a fat boy.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    IMO the only decent paddle made that works for CCW is the Kramer MSP. It's well made and pulls the weapon tight into your body. Most other paddles tend to do the opposite and as mentioned previously several makers make a snap on/off holster like Lou Alessi's CQC/S and Matt Del Fatti's LP/QS. Although I have all three, I prefer the Alessi and Del Fatti design.

Seems to me the paddle would be easier to remove for those times you can't or don't want to carry.
    Sometimes they even come off when you're drawing and want just the gun in your paw, not both the gun and the holster! For carry, I'd recommend avoiding a paddle design.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

My holster only comes off at the end of the day. I don't like paddles due to retention concerns. I'd go with a belt rig or one of the "quick removal" rigs. Lou Alessi is THE MAN!

Thanks for all the input! I have my eye on a holster & belt from Rafter S at the moment.
    I did try to order a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster but got an email back saying they cancelled the order because the Nemesis will not work with a Taurus PT145Pro, only the PT145. Anyone know exactly what the difference between the two is? Maybe a good topic for another thread. Got to get the post count up somehow!
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Lead Moderator
    I have tried all kinds of holsters. for OWB I found pancake is the way to go. Or the Blackhawk CQC . The paddle is super secure (I have to undo my pants to remove the holster) and with the paddle it holds tight(tighter than the belt attachment. )
    90% of the time I use a IWB BTW.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

i prefer Belt This is one I'm using right now Since im not carrying IWB this time of year

i do have a blackhawk also but this conceals way better for a OWB

I use both paddle and belt holsters.
    Paddles generally don't conceal as well as they tend to be a bit further from the body.
    Some paddles can and do come out of the pants with the gun when you don't want it to.
    While I prefer leather, Comp-Tac makes a Kydex paddle that is secure, and rides close to the body.
    There are no problems in life too large to be handled by the use of small arms and high explosives

In god we trust, all others are suspects

$10.00 transfers in Houston, Texas

Belt holsters are so much better and I like the pancake type best. The most important part of a belt holster is the belt!

IWB are great choices also.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links