Hide-It Holster and Cell Pal

This is a discussion on Hide-It Holster and Cell Pal within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is anyone familiar with or own either the Hide-It holster or a Cell Pal? Most of the reviews that I have seen of the cell ...

Thread: Hide-It Holster and Cell Pal

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar

Is anyone familiar with or own either the Hide-It holster or a Cell Pal? Most of the reviews that I have seen of the cell pal are not particularly good; however, some people swear by it. I have not really seen any reviews of the Hide-It but it appears to be basically the same thing only better quality materials.
    If at first you don't succeed then skydiving definitely isn't for you.

-- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

I have one. To be honest, it's one of my worst purchases to date. IMO the SmartCarry system is much better. I picked up the Cellpal at a gun show last year. Tried it for for one day and that was it. It might have something to do with the size of ones thighs I guess as mine are kinda on the large size due to my height and build. Anyway, good idea and it might work well for some, but not for everyone.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Re: Hide-It Holster and Cell Pal

Previously it was the pager pal Google for that and you'll find allot more info. It's been out a long time and the reviews are rarely positive from what I've seen but I've never owned or used one.

Luke

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I almost bought one a few months ago but I'm not really a fan of having to use both hands to draw, also it looks ridiculously uncomfortable. They had a heck of a sales pitch going for it though.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

Quote Originally Posted by luke213 View Post
    Previously it was the pager pal Google for that and you'll find allot more info. It's been out a long time and the reviews are rarely positive from what I've seen but I've never owned or used one.

Luke

And to boot there is no utility patent on this product as the makers seem to claim last time I was at one of the dog and pony shows. They did not invent it as they lead you do believe. WE can prove both counts, in prior art.

No one dups the product because everyone things it sucks and the rest maybe they think they are committing patent infringemnet.

I was around at there 1st rising out of the dirt. Not even sure if anyone is interested in the history of this story, so I won't waste any time writing unless some are interested.

I am sure Red will have a few words after mine.

Michael

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    I carried like that for a while, but felt stupid having this big square thing attached to my belt.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Re: Hide-It Holster and Cell Pal

I'd be interested if for nothing else the history of the design, like I've said before I'm a research junkie so any info is interesting to me;)

Luke

Here for Luke................Enjoy!!!!!!!!

The holster was originally sold by a company called Leatherwood holsters as far back as 1991, that's when I can date them anyway. They called it the Hidden Difference. They did not manufacture the holster themselves. Dan Donahue who used to own Strong leather company in M.A did the manufacturing, Leatherwood was out of M.A also. Leatherwood went out of business, somewhere around 1992.

Pager Pal surfaced at ,around the 1996 shot show. That's when I first seen them with their "newly patented holster", which they aggressively claimed no one else could make. It was actually patent pending at the time, not patented as they wanted you to believe. When I looked into it, the patent seemed to be a design patent and not a utility patent which is far stronger. (Red can fill in here) In any case the product was public domain before they ever existed and prior art could be shown, by me anyway. Anyone could make that holster if they wanted.

After Leatherwood went down, Dan still manufactured the holster and I think had the holster in his catalog. Pager Pal used to send him letters he was infringing on thier patent. Dan said , "he just laughed and never answered them back and just kept making the holster as he had done for leatherwood before Pager Pal was around. I think Dan sold the business or family came in and took over. (Red can fill in here)

As far as I know Pager Pal does not manufacture, they get them made in Mexico. As of today's date, maybe they get them somewhere else.But back then it was Mexico, confirmed by Steve Wiesner, the owner. See, the pager pal job went out for bid and no one could touch the price. I asked who was manufacturing for him and he said he gets them made in Mexico, that was in the late 90's.

Most manufacturers, if not all view this as a gimmick holster, that's why it has not been copied. With that said, I am sure there are some who do like this type of holster. It's been selling since somewhere around 1995. If you like it and its working, we think that's great. But I think more of them are collecting dust then being used.

Our own opinion here is, when demonstrated at a gun show, with the correct gun, correct colthing, its slick as ice...............until you get it home and try it yourself. It reminds me of shopping at Victoria Secrets or Fredrick's of Hollywood and you buy something for your significant other and when you get it home somehow, just somehow an awful trick has been played on you, it just does not look the same on your gal as it did on those models in the pictures.

Michael

Leatherwood1.jpgLeatherwood2.jpgLeatherwood3.jpg

Links