Concealing big revolvers?

This is a discussion on Concealing big revolvers? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I normally carry my LCR but I had so much fun shooting my 4.2" GP100 today that it sparked an interest to carry it concealed. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Concealing big revolvers?

I normally carry my LCR but I had so much fun shooting my 4.2" GP100 today that it sparked an interest to carry it concealed. How many of you conceal this big/heavy of a revolver? I was looking at some bianchi holsters because they are in the price range I am looking at. Opinions on either of these or something comparable are very much wanted. I like the look of the 5BH but will the forward tilt of the other pancake style holster make for a better conceal? Or will either be hard to conceal for this big of revolver in which I will be left with semi concealed/open carry.

Bianchi 5BH
    Model 5BH *Thumbsnap Holster Bianchi Leather Holsters

Bianchi
    Model 7 *Shadow® II Pancake-Style Holster Bianchi Leather Holsters

*EDIT* Also will the 2 belt loops on the outside of the pancake holster make for better retention compared to the 5BH which looks like it just has one belt loop.

the biggest revolver i ever carry is my 4", N-frame S&W 625. it's carried in a NW Tactical rectangular pancake-style kydex holster. (Raven Concealment Systems-style) i almost always use a hip-length coat to conceal it.

my thoughts: if you go with the Bianchi 5BH, make certain you're using a good, rigid gunbelt that is a snug fit through the holster loop. this will keep the holstered gun from sagging away from your body.

this is still important with the Bianchi 7, but not quite so much, as you'll have two belt loops to stabilize the holstered gun.

one of the things i don't like about many holsters from these big companies, and that includes the two models that you're considering, is that the belt loops are often 1-3/4" wide. i've owned a belt that wide, but finding PANTS with belt loops that wide was a pain. (Wrangler Pro Rodeo jeans were all i could find). so a more common and easily accessorized 1-1/2" belt has some play in the holster's belt slots.

forward cant carries better (for me, anyway) slightly behind the strong-side hip in the 4 o'clock position. i wear straight drop holsters closer to the point of my hip at 3 o'clock, which makes concealment a bit harder.

YMMV. good luck.

p.s. i've never noticed the weight to be a problem, and i'm only 5'7", 155 pounds.

I was looking for ideas myself, I have been having thoughts of carrying my Ruger Alaskan

...back in the 70s, I carried a Model 66 4" in the Bianchi 5B...didn't keep it as close to my side as I needed...went to a Roy Baker pancake and it did better plus gave me crossdraw options...I'd go pancake...the GP's a heavy little shooter...

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobman View Post
    I normally carry my LCR but I had so much fun shooting my 4.2" GP100 today that it sparked an interest to carry it concealed. How many of you conceal this big/heavy of a revolver? I was looking at some bianchi holsters because they are in the price range I am looking at. Opinions on either of these or something comparable are very much wanted. I like the look of the 5BH but will the forward tilt of the other pancake style holster make for a better conceal? Or will either be hard to conceal for this big of revolver in which I will be left with semi concealed/open carry.

Bianchi 5BH
    Model 5BH *Thumbsnap Holster Bianchi Leather Holsters

Bianchi
    Model 7 *Shadow® II Pancake-Style Holster Bianchi Leather Holsters

*EDIT* Also will the 2 belt loops on the outside of the pancake holster make for better retention compared to the 5BH which looks like it just has one belt loop.

My S&W 686+ is a 3" but it is an L frame. I don't like IWB for it but a Lobo Leather with a thumb break, OWB on a good gun belt is fantastic. The only issue is you need a longer untucked shirt or longer than mid length jacket to hide the bottom of the holster that wants to peek out so its usually a colder weather carry for me.
    Snub44 likes this.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

...thanks for that source...like his styles!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo411 View Post
    My S&W 686+ is a 3" but it is an L frame. I don't like IWB for it but a Lobo Leather with a thumb break, OWB on a good gun belt is fantastic. The only issue is you need a longer untucked shirt or longer than mid length jacket to hide the bottom of the holster that wants to peek out so its usually a colder weather carry for me.

I have a GP100 with 4 inch barrel and 5BH holster. With that holster the gun pokes out really bad and prints. The gun catches on everything when you sit down. I don't care for it that much for conceal carry. I will be ordering two FIST holsters for it. One OWB and one IWB.

FIST, INC.

FIST, INC.

Back in the 80s I used a shoulder holster un a motorcycle vest with good luck and might look into another.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

One day last year - just for phoots and grins - I decided I was going to conceal-carry my S&W Model 25-5 .45 Colt with it's 6-inch barrel, just to see if it was a feasible option.

Of course I had to carry two Safariland Comp I speed loaders for it. Not having a wide-range of holsters to use, I carried it in a Uncle Mike's ballistic nylon shoulder rig. The speed loaders were carried in a dual-pouch, off-side on the holster rig. I wore it under a light windbreaker jacket.

From what I remember during that experience was my shoulders aching by the end of the day, ultra-slow speed of draw (practiced for 15 minutes in front of a mirror before going out into the world) and having to use two hands to re-holster. Overall, the entire rig felt awkward and very heavy. I'm a OWB 3:00 kind of guy truth be told. I just couldn't get comfortable with the set-up.

From there on out the only time I carry that revolver is when I go walking in the woods with my dogs once a month...and I wear it Open Carry, cross-draw in a Bianchi Cyclone. I tried to wear it in a Bianchi 5BH but the barrel is just too long to effect a smooth draw.

In the end, trying to conceal a big, heavy, long-barreled revolver is a unique challenge. Not saying it can't be done but, it could get expensive finding/trying out a combination of holsters and pouches until you find the perfect rig.

teach likes this.
    J.W. S. 3
    1SG, U.S. Army (Retired)

Many, many, too darned many firearms and related accessories.

Depending on your build and preferences, it can be carried appendix style. I've carried mine that way before.
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

I'm in the same place, I love my 6" barrel Taurus 66 and like JWS3745 I would like to carry it just for s&g's. I'm thinking either a shoulder rig or a simply rugged pancake with a long jacket. I think I will have to find new grips first.

Let us know what you decide some others may want to do the same.

I routinely carry a 3" Model 65 K frame and my 4" 13 carries as easy. I carry it either in a Theis Holster at 3-4 or a Sideguard that I have modified for AIWB. I also sometimes carry in a Smartcarry when I have to tuck my shirt.

I am kind of liking that fist #20 adjustable IWB, just pulled the trigger on a galco COP belt which is the start to carrying the bigger gun.

Back when I was doing too much Elmer Keith idolizing I carried a 4" Smith Mod. 58 .41 mag for awhile in the exact Bianchi 5BH you posted on a very heavy duty leather gun belt which may have been a Bianchi as well, but I forget. The rig wasn't too obtrusive or uncomfortable, but I was a much younger man back then. It is certainly doable with the right holster/belt combination. My setup only worked concealed under a heavy flannel, but grunge was in style at the time and I looked like an undercover Kurt Cobain.
    Snub44 likes this.

...excellent SD handgun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Back when I was doing too much Elmer Keith idolizing I carried a 4" Smith Mod. 58 .41 mag for awhile in the exact Bianchi 5BH you posted on a very heavy duty leather gun belt which may have been a Bianchi as well, but I forget. The rig wasn't too obtrusive or uncomfortable, but I was a much younger man back then. It is certainly doable with the right holster/belt combination. My setup only worked concealed under a heavy flannel, but grunge was in style at the time and I looked like an undercover Kurt Cobain.
    I never noticed am I the only one still wearing flannel? I always thought of it as the northern Hawaiiain
    RichB70 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links