AIWB striker fired no manual safety

This is a discussion on AIWB striker fired no manual safety within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Glock 36 and a Sig P239 and it took me probably four years and many hundreds of dollars before I settled on ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: AIWB striker fired no manual safety

I carry a Glock 36 and a Sig P239 and it took me probably four years and many hundreds of dollars before I settled on what works for me. Like most people that carry 24-7 you will end up with a drawer full of great holsters and a few not so great but that time you hit what you have been looking for is worth the journey.
    Not for most but I settled on a deep cover iwb for a left hander then I placed it in the small of my back for a right hand draw. It is to bad somebody doesn't come up with a red box you could rent to try a holster until you found what you were looking for.

Keep safe and do what feels right. Even at my age I want to keep all my body parts.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    It is to bad somebody doesn't come up with a red box you could rent to try a holster until you found what you were looking for.
    I was just proposing this idea to a friend who has more money and ambition than I the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Im too fat to do it comfortably!
    I don't know your size, but will say I am just under 5'11 and was almost 250 when I first tired AIWB. At the time it was with a Glock 30 and a leather Summer Special holster.

It wasn't that bad then. But since getting down to around 215 and going to the slightly thinner Glock 19/26 and kydex, it is even easier.

I recently purchased a trigger safety for my Glocks. it is a plastic plug that fits behind the trigger. It pushes out of the way easily and falls to the ground. It is sold at Order Clipdraw - Saf-T-Blok for Glocks
    they also have a side clip for carry at Order Clipdraw - The Original Clipdraw for Glocks

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB1954 View Post
    I recently purchased a trigger safety for my Glocks. it is a plastic plug that fits behind the trigger. It pushes out of the way easily and falls to the ground.
    Totally unnecessary and actually dangerous.

Since these things are sold as 'right' and 'left', how easy is it to disengage with your off-hand? If we have a 'right' version on the gun, have your tried to remove it with your left hand? Under stress? Most people don't consider this when they fall for the ad hype.

We should always train to manipulate our weapons with either hand, since injuries to the hands can occur in a fight. Aftermarket do-dads that take away from this should be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    Totally unnecessary and actually dangerous.

Since these things are sold as 'right' and 'left', how easy is it to disengage with your off-hand? If we have a 'right' version on the gun, have your tried to remove it with your left hand? Under stress? Most people don't consider this when they fall for the ad hype.

We should always train to manipulate our weapons with either hand, since injuries to the hands can occur in a fight. Aftermarket do-dads that take away from this should be avoided.
    If you carry at 3 or 4 o'clock and can draw with your left hand, you should have no problem figuring out the safety. Everything can be practiced including the plastic safety.
    There is no perfect solution that can deal with every unknown situation. The OP's priority was keeping from having an accidental discharge. Practicing off hand shooting isn't going to get that done.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB1954
    There is no perfect solution that can deal with every unknown situation.
    We can get a great start by not handicapping oneself unnecessarily
    The OP's priority was keeping from having an accidental discharge. Practicing off hand shooting isn't going to get that done.
    Neither is adding the illusion of safety created by the Saf-T-Bloc.

There is absolutely nothing in the design that precludes a striker-fired weapon from being carried safely in the AIWB position.

I stand by what I posted earlier

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    We can get a great start by not handicapping oneself unnecessarilyNeither is adding the illusion of safety created by the Saf-T-Bloc.

There is absolutely nothing in the design that precludes a striker-fired weapon from being carried safely in the AIWB position.

I stand by what I posted earlier
    For the most part, I agree. That device is a solution to a nonexistent problem.

I suppose one could argue that it provided some level of safety if you were carrying your pistol in a generally unsafe manner, ie. loose in a backpack. Obviously this would be generally not a desirable way to transport a loaded firearm, but I suppose you could make an argument that it would provide some level of protection. Of course, so would carrying it in a manner that was inherently safe like in a holster, or simply not chambering a round, so overall I think its just another device that tries to replace the safety between your ears with a physical device. No way would I attach it to a firearm I was carrying.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I recently purchased a trigger safety for my Glocks. it is a plastic plug that fits behind the trigger. It pushes out of the way easily and falls to the ground. It is sold at Order Clipdraw - Saf-T-Blok for Glocks
    they also have a side clip for carry at Order Clipdraw - The Original Clipdraw for Glocks
    I don't know why anyone would use either of those products. One is less than optimal for it's purpose, a standard holster would hold your weapon more securely and provide for a smoother snag free draw. The other is a device that was created to use the first sub-optimal design more safely where it was unsafe to use carrying the pistol design in the first place. Devices that create problems and cause other devices to be needed are good for one thing, making someone money.

DannyB, If you are looking for a minimalist type of rig to carry your GLOCK, I would suggest the MIC or Dale Fricke's Zac rig over what you are currently using. Both cover the trigger guard and don't require you to break that plane to insert them. Either will also give you a little bit, albeit not much more retention. Raven Concealment also makes a couple of similar minimalist holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by rednichols
    (if you don't personally know someone who has shot his balls off, I do),
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Im sure im not the only one who would like the details of this, knowledge is power. Plus, I like my balls.
    Come on man, whats the story morning glory?

Archer, you are way too interested in another man's nether region.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Archer, you are way too interested in another man's nether region.
    Well technically, it's not his any longer!

NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Applying any sort of force around the trigger before you're ready to shoot strikes me as a risky idea. If you like it, great, but I'd rather train my finger to stay out of the trigger guard until I'm ready to fire.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Come on man, whats the story morning glory?
    Ok, you dragged it out of me. Appendix carry on an IPSC range (not the person in the file photo):

appendix.jpg

Plus this:

fireballs (2).jpg

Great balls of fire! Won't name names.

Now see what happens, when the unwary copy what others are doing, and go too far:

appendix extreme.jpg

That won't even be the right femoral artery; it'll be the left one.
    Red (Richard) Nichols
    Holster designer-maker since 1958

An invention is an accident that has been waiting to happen.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links