AIWB striker fired no manual safety

This is a discussion on AIWB striker fired no manual safety within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Dumb idea? I have a galco king tuk and while it is a great holster I feel like I can conceal much better AIWB. I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: AIWB striker fired no manual safety

Dumb idea? I have a galco king tuk and while it is a great holster I feel like I can conceal much better AIWB. I have a m&p9 and a m&p9c, neither have safeties. I havent carried aiwb condition 1 yet, just 3. If all of this AWB stuff blows over I could get a new 9c with a manual safety or even a shield. I have no problem with manual safeties, learned on 1911s. I like the simplicity of a no safety striker gun, but I also like my balls and my femoral artery. As far as the dangers of AIWB goes, the only time a ND can happen is holstering or unholstering right? I dont feel unsafe if its in the holster all the time. I will admit that when I sit down and the muzzle is pointing directly on my lower abdomen I feel alittle sketchy. I mean if somehow I had an ND while sitting down id blow a hole through my lower waist/groin area and out my butt, probably just as deadly as hitting the FA. I have hear that lots of people who AIWB carry da/sa guns or revolvers, I think the most dangerous gun to AIWB would be something like a series 70 1911. Atleast the m&ps have striker blocks, and I have tested them just to make sure they work.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

And no, I dont plan on carrying a revolver. I like automatics, I like having more than 5 rounds and being able to reload in a timely and efficient matter.

Just cause a gun has a safety doesn't mean it will prevent a ND. Just be safe with the gun and you'll be fine.
    pittypat21 and Chevyguy85 like this.

Here are a few links that helped me

AIWB (Appendix Carry)
    AIWB holsters, a pictorial guide
    RonCo likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

As far as the dangers of AIWB goes, the only time a ND can happen is holstering or unholstering right?
    Let's refine that a little bit. The simple act of the gun entering or leaving the holster won't cause the gun to go off. However, a finger on the trigger during the draw stroke or reholstering can cause the gun to fire. Your "jewels" and femoral arteries are safe with "no safety striker guns" as long as there is nothing pressing on the trigger.

I think the most dangerous gun to AIWB would be something like a series 70 1911
    Why? Recall that the 1911 design requires both the thumb safety to be off and the grip safety to be depressed in order to fire when the trigger is pulled. The likelihood of those happening simultaneously AND the gun going off with no finger on the trigger while the gun is holstered is extremely small. Conversely, there is a host of people on this forum who won't carry a 1911 because they fear they'll forget to sweep the thumb safety off when the gun is needed.

If you research the NDs that happened with a gun carried on the person, nearly all of them involved a finger on the trigger when it shouldn't have been, regardless of gun type.

Sounds like your confidence in carrying a weapon ready to use is low... I highly recommend some professional training.
    pittypat21 and tmoore912 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Dumb idea? I have a galco king tuk and while it is a great holster I feel like I can conceal much better AIWB. I have a m&p9 and a m&p9c, neither have safeties. I havent carried aiwb condition 1 yet, just 3. If all of this AWB stuff blows over I could get a new 9c with a manual safety or even a shield. I have no problem with manual safeties, learned on 1911s. I like the simplicity of a no safety striker gun, but I also like my balls and my femoral artery. As far as the dangers of AIWB goes, the only time a ND can happen is holstering or unholstering right? I dont feel unsafe if its in the holster all the time. I will admit that when I sit down and the muzzle is pointing directly on my lower abdomen I feel alittle sketchy. I mean if somehow I had an ND while sitting down id blow a hole through my lower waist/groin area and out my butt, probably just as deadly as hitting the FA. I have hear that lots of people who AIWB carry da/sa guns or revolvers, I think the most dangerous gun to AIWB would be something like a series 70 1911. Atleast the m&ps have striker blocks, and I have tested them just to make sure they work.

Thoughts?
    I don't carry aiwb for one reason, and one reason only. I have, throughout my fifty-seven years on earth, been known to mess up occasionally. Not often, to be sure, but every once in awhile. If I mess up while carrying up aiwb, I will die.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I am seriously considering AIWB, but feel more confident using my PPK/S, with a safety, rather than my Glock. If I were to use my Glock, I would not carry a round in the chamber. I am 52, and have learned that same lesson that Mike1956 learned.
    Last edited by Jackster; February 25th, 2013 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

Why? Recall that the 1911 design requires both the thumb safety to be off and the grip safety to be depressed in order to fire when the trigger is pulled. The likelihood of those happening simultaneously AND the gun going off with no finger on the trigger while the gun is holstered is extremely small. Conversely, there is a host of people on this forum who won't carry a 1911 because they fear they'll forget to sweep the thumb safety off when the gun is needed.

Hammer follow, or possible if you fall on it the hammer could drop. I know the half cock is supposed to save you in a situation like that but I really wouldnt want to see that hammer fall on a loaded chamber while its pointed at my junk. I know a guy who had an ND with a 1911 because of hammer follow, he let the slide drop on empty chambers pretty frequently.

I stated above that I learned on 1911s, I am proficient in sweeping, and re enganging the thumb safety. I practiced it a bajillion times when I owned and carried one OWB. I dont carry one anymore because I prefer the simplicity of a striker gun.

If you research the NDs that happened with a gun carried on the person, nearly all of them involved a finger on the trigger when it shouldn't have been, regardless of gun type.
    Not always, sometimes a foreign object can get into the trigger guard and cause an ND or part of the holster.

I was really trying to figure out the stigma I hear associated with AIWB carry with striker guns. I personally dont see how a glock style action could "go off" without pulling the trigger, a finger entering the trigger guard during the act of deploying said weapon system is probably the scariest part of AIWB carry. I personally believe extensive and frequent practice can alleviate, if not greatly lessen that risk.

Sounds like your confidence in carrying a weapon ready to use is low... I highly recommend some professional training.

I haven't been carrying for 20 years but I have owned guns for the better part of my life. Im no operator but I know my way around my guns. Just because I was slightly hesitant to carry with one in the pipe while my gun was pointed at my junk doesnt automatically make me incompetent. Ive only carried that way around the house, not in public. If I carry a gun off my property im going to be prepared to use it.

Not to sound cocky, but I can preform an israeli draw and get off a round faster from AIWB than most of my shooting buddies could condition 1.

Cool

I have been carrying Glocks AIWB for several years now.

The holster that I use is a High Noon Public Secret. Product Line

Made with stiff leather around the trigger guard and molded for the particular firearm it carries.

photo.jpgImage 4.jpgImage 3.jpg
    click image to enlarge.....

Safety is all on the operator however a quality holster is a must for any carrying of a handgun.

Regards,

FlaRon
    mwhartman likes this.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Just because I was slightly hesitant to carry with one in the pipe while my gun was pointed at my junk doesnt automatically make me incompetent.
    And that wasn't the intent of my comment - I mentioned confidence, not competence.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

For several years now I have carried Glocks AIWB.

It is not a decision to be made lightly. If you're NOT a little freaked out by it, you probably shouldn't carry appendix.

That said... If you keep your finger off the trigger and use a quality holster, a Glock will NEVER shoot it's self.

*as a side note: EVERY time I reholster AIWB, I go slow making sure that any garment, jacket ties, etc... are clear, and think to my self DO NOT blow off your junk!!!
    FlaRon, mwhartman, TVJ and 2 others like this.

VIP Member
    And that wasn't the intent of my comment - I mentioned confidence, not competence.
    I totally lack confidence in my ability to carry aiwb competently.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RonCo View Post
    For several years now I have carried Glocks AIWB.

It is not a decision to be made lightly. If you're NOT a little freaked out by it, you probably shouldn't carry appendix.

That said... If you keep your finger off the trigger and use a quality holster, a Glock will NEVER shoot it's self.

*as a side note: EVERY time I reholster AIWB, I go slow making sure that any garment, jacket ties, etc... are clear, and think to my self DO NOT blow off your junk!!!
    This^^^

I have no concerns about carrying AIWB. I'm very, very careful when I reholster. The biggest downside, as I see it, is it does become somewhat limiting when you are doing live fire practicing, because you are reholstering a live weapon over and over, and you absolutely have to take extra care to verify a clear holster and slowly reholster.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    A while back I read a post from a man what was carrying at 4:00 and his gun discharged. The leather on his holster had softened so much that when he sat down the leather folded into the trigger guard and pushed the trigger back, causing a discharge. He only ended up with a grazed butt cheek, a hole in his pants, and a hole in his car seat.

I don't carry AIWB because I lack the confidence to do so. It's also uncomfortable (physically) for me, so it's not a big deal. If you do it, though, make sure your holster is ship-shape! Good chance you wouldn't survive a discharge if you lean over and the gun goes boom because of soft leather pushing into the trigger guard.

Edit: Here it is: SAFETY WARNING! Worn Leather Holsters Can Cause Accidental Discharges!

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    This^^^

I have no concerns about carrying AIWB. I'm very, very careful when I reholster. The biggest downside, as I see it, is it does become somewhat limiting when you are doing live fire practicing, because you are reholstering a live weapon over and over, and you absolutely have to take extra care to verify a clear holster and slowly reholster.
    I completely agree. Another trick is to angle the holster away from the body when reholstering. Just keep in mind the term 'glock butt' was coined for a reason, and you need to develop good muscle memory so you follow the same procedure when reholstering after a stressful situation.

I feel better with an DA external hammer AIWB, where having a thumb on the hammer can not only prevent a ND, but it will indicate if anything is putting pressure on the trigger (edge of a shirt, jacket toggle, edge of the holster, other object, etc...).

There is also a theoretical difference between a fully retracted striker on an M&P or XD and a partially retracted striker on a glock or ruger SR (similar to half cock on a DA/SA gun). I've never heard of a failure where the striker drops without trigger interaction (and presumably the firing pin block also fails), but I suppose it is theoretically possible for the 'single action' striker fired guns like XD and M&P.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links