DeSantis Holster Question

This is a discussion on DeSantis Holster Question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; DeSantis Checkmate Belt Holster Question Does anyone have any experience with the DeSantis Checkmate belt holster for a GLOCK Model 27 ? I like the ...

Thread: DeSantis Holster Question

DeSantis Holster Question

DeSantis Checkmate Belt Holster Question
    Does anyone have any experience with the DeSantis Checkmate belt holster for a GLOCK Model 27 ?

I like the way it looks from pictures on the web.......

What I need is a holster that will let me re-holster the weapon with one hand.......Usually the best leather for this is Horsehide, because it is so stiff........I think this model DeSantis is Cowhide........

I have to qualify in Florida with a concealed carry holster that permits me to re-holster using only my strong hand.....The course doesn't permit someone to use two hands to get the weapon back in the holster if it doesn't stay open wide enough to do it with just the strong hand..........

The qualification course is to meet the new Federal standards for retired cops to carry a concealed handgun in all fifty states under the US Code, amended two years ago....I will have to qualify every year to satisfy the Federal Law.......

The people at DeSantis say the holster is plenty stiff and the thumb lock holds the weapon in securely, but I want to know if anyone has used this model holster for a while and can give me some feedback......

I attached a picture of the holster from the DeSantis web site.....

I really want to stick to leather with this weapon......I've looked at Serpa CQC holsters and I think over time the carbon plastic material will mar the slide on the weapon.......I may be wrong.....

Anyway, the course mandates the use of a concealed holster and the Serpa CQC models are more like duty holsters compared to the DeSantis belt slider holsters.........Any type of holster that might be considered "Open Carry" is out........You must show up wearing a concealed carry holster that you intend to carry all the time.....

Although the course itself isn't difficult, the holster standards aren't flexible at all........

By the way, www.GilbertsGuns.com has some pretty good prices on all DeSantis holsters thru www.Gunbrokers.com

Thanks,

John
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    No idea, but any holster will wear on the gun. Why not use a fobus for the course , then use whatever you want for carry?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have a very similar holster made by bianchi. I have what they call the "Carry Lock", it looks like the one in the picture except the button that you push is on the outside instead of on the inside. During my draw I push the button with my middle finger, it took a few practice sessions to get used to, but its second nature after that. It places my gun pretty close to my body. I can conceal with a light jacket, but not a t-shirt. One handed reholstering is a breeze, the holster stays open and there is an audible 'click' that lets you know its in there. you can pull on the gun all you want, but unless you push that button it will not come out. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    No idea, but any holster will wear on the gun. Why not use a fobus for the course , then use whatever you want for carry?

I'm with Rocky. By the way John, I'm in Beverly Hills...

Quote Originally Posted by HILLSIDE BLUE View Post
    DeSantis Checkmate Belt Holster

The qualification course is to meet the new Federal standards for retired cops to carry a concealed handgun in all fifty states under the US Code, amended two years ago....I will have to qualify every year to satisfy the Federal Law.......

Thanks,

John
    John,

I'm a retired LEO from NY living in FL. Do you have a link that will help me find out what I need to know to qualify for the Federal license?

Thanks,

Richard
    Richard
    Glock 17
    Glock 26
    Glock 30
    Kel-Tek P-11
    Kel-Tek P3AT
    Cold Det Spec
    Uberty peacemaker repro
    Ruger MK I .22 auto

Qualification for US Code

The only guy I know of to get qualified is Lance Biddle.......He is certified by the FDLE and the Florida Department of Standards and Training.........He can give you the 48 round combat test at his indoor range in Leesburg............I know there are other private ranges that do the same thing but he is the closest to me in Crystal River.........His web site is http://www.gunrange.net/

You have to use a concealable holster to fire the course with the weapon you plan on carrying.........I think the law says you must qualify using the same standards that an active LEO in Florida must pass..........As of July 1, 2006 they have to qualify using the Department of Standards and Training course, but they only have to go every two years until they retire, then once a year........

After that all you need is a card signed by a certified instructor and your photo ID from your job........

I have a Florida weapons permit which is good in a lot of other states, but we travel a lot in our Motorcoach and go into pinko states like New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts..........That's the only reason for me to even worry about qualifying......

I spoke to Lance a few times and he told me I have to be able to re-holster a weapon with one hand and he can't give me any break if I can't do it..........A cheap holster will cave in before you can get the gun back in and the clock is running..........I don't want to fail the course because of a junko holster.........

Send Lance an e-mail and he'll explain the process..........Right now none of the Police Departments or Sheriff's Offices are letting retired out of state cops into their ranges because of insurance problems......

That might change, but I wouldn't hold my breath........

John
    Retired, Nassau County, N.Y.

Thanks for the Quick and informative reply!

I'm a ret. NYPD Det.. I also have a FL CCW. A good friend of mine is Ed Smith, ret Nassau Det. I'll contact Lance Biddle and go from there. Maybe he knows someone here on the east coast.

Thanks again,

Richard
    Richard
    Glock 17
    Glock 26
    Glock 30
    Kel-Tek P-11
    Kel-Tek P3AT
    Cold Det Spec
    Uberty peacemaker repro
    Ruger MK I .22 auto

US Code qualification info

Open the attachment for info on Retired, out of State LEO's info.........

John

John
    Atachment?
    Richard
    Glock 17
    Glock 26
    Glock 30
    Kel-Tek P-11
    Kel-Tek P3AT
    Cold Det Spec
    Uberty peacemaker repro
    Ruger MK I .22 auto

US Code qualification info

John

I TRIED TO UPLOAD A PDF FILE, BUT THE SERVER DOESN'T DISPLAY IT FOR SOME REASON.........JOHN

John

I TRIED TO UPLOAD A PDF FILE, BUT THE SERVER DOESN'T DISPLAY IT FOR SOME REASON.........JOHN
    I think i found the info on Lance Biddle's site. Thanks again for your help.
    Richard
    Glock 17
    Glock 26
    Glock 30
    Kel-Tek P-11
    Kel-Tek P3AT
    Cold Det Spec
    Uberty peacemaker repro
    Ruger MK I .22 auto

Links