Best holster for driving?

This is a discussion on Best holster for driving? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I drive about 6k miles a month with work, and have yet to find a good holster for my Taurus pt140 pro that is comfortable ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Best holster for driving?

I drive about 6k miles a month with work, and have yet to find a good holster for my Taurus pt140 pro that is comfortable in all positions. Any suggestions? When I'm not driving and I'm at a jobsite, I am usually stooping over to do the repairs I do for a living (access controlled gates). This has also proven to be an uncomfortable position to carry in. I have a fobus paddle, and a galco iwb. What other holster/position should I try?

Thanks,
    Rod

2. Remove Ads

6k a month? Do you mean 6,000 miles a month driving? WOW! I have a Theis IWB hybrid holster for my Beretta Nano that I like but is not terribly comfortable when driving. I thought about buying a spare kydex body from comp-tac, just the body, for $38 and finding a spot close to my seat but out of immediate view and simply mounting that body to a permanent location. Then, we I enter the car, I unholster my firearm and re-holster in the car holster.

My PPS rides in a Crossbreed Snapslide at the 5 o'clock position. The first couple days of driving were awkward, but after adjusting the seat angle and driving more I just kinda got used to it. The PPS is also a pretty slim gun, so I don't know how well I'd do with my Glock 23 with the same holster type.

There's so much trial and error with holsters for CC.
    Don't mess with Texas.

Seriously, don't even think about it.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I use a crossbreed at 3:00 for a sig P938, Sig P238 and a glock 23 with no problem, carried a colt defender all weekend in a SHTF holsgter at 3:10 with no issue...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Re: Best holster for driving?

Quote Originally Posted by jblives2ride View Post
    I use a crossbreed at 3:00 for a sig P938, Sig P238 and a glock 23 with no problem, carried a colt defender all weekend in a SHTF holsgter at 3:10 with no issue...
    3 o'clock does seem to be the most comfortable position except for the seatbelt getting in the way

Quote Originally Posted by tele_pathic View Post
    6k a month? Do you mean 6,000 miles a month driving? WOW! I have a Theis IWB hybrid holster for my Beretta Nano that I like but is not terribly comfortable when driving. I thought about buying a spare kydex body from comp-tac, just the body, for $38 and finding a spot close to my seat but out of immediate view and simply mounting that body to a permanent location. Then, we I enter the car, I unholster my firearm and re-holster in the car holster.
    Yes I install and service access controlled gates throughout la, miss., and east Texas.

I carry at about 4:00-4:30 - S&W M&P40c in a Crossbreed Supertuck.

That having been said, for some reason the position tends to change comfort for me. I drive a lot too, and I don't like setting up/dismantling my carry system on the go. So I just put up with it.

Another option is pocket carry.

Quote Originally Posted by autogateman View Post
    I drive about 6k miles a month with work......
    Thanks,
    Rod
    Holy Mother of Pearl!! I hope your employer supplies you with a COMPANY CAR!! If not...tight economy or not no way Hosea I would drive my sled 72K miles a year without some type of SUBSTANTIAL Per Diem and Non Taxable ta boot. Heck I might could go for a nice comfy camper like those new styled semi tractors have...micro..shower...Sat TV...propane 2 burner range...small refer..500 wpc 6 pack CD player..built in tool storage for on site repairs+small Miller welding outfit.

It don't sound like a job for a married man unless you take her with you....

Where I used to work some fool member was always hitting the front gate or the back gate and me and the Foreman would end up spending half a day fixing it.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Holy Mother of Pearl!! I hope your employer supplies you with a COMPANY CAR!! If not...tight economy or not no way Hosea I would drive my sled 72K miles a year without some type of SUBSTANTIAL Per Diem and Non Taxable ta boot. Heck I might could go for a nice comfy camper like those new styled semi tractors have...micro..shower...Sat TV...propane 2 burner range...small refer..500 wpc 6 pack CD player..built in tool storage for on site repairs+small Miller welding outfit.

It don't sound like a job for a married man unless you take her with you....

Where I used to work some fool member was always hitting the front gate or the back gate and me and the Foreman would end up spending half a day fixing it.
    I own the company, so my f350 is my company car. Lol yes I'm married and very seldom do I have to stay over night on the jobs. Leave out super early, get there, do my job then turn round come home.

I was just thinking that an ankle holster might do the job if it will work with your gun? They are fairly fast to get to when seated. This might be a case of wearing two holsters for one day of carry might be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Boats54 View Post
    I was just thinking that an ankle holster might do the job if it will work with your gun? They are fairly fast to get to when seated. This might be a case of wearing two holsters for one day of carry might be the case.
    i cant imagine carrying this pistol on my ankle. its a subcompact but still a double stack

I'm not sure if you would consider off body for while in your car, but I have used a Sticky Holster in between my passenger seat and my middle console to hold my Shield before. Holds it tight, and is easy to draw. Something to consider. ( Sticky holsters are remora style no clip holsters)
    Gaston and Kennydale like this.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    Theis Holster - Joab Mag Pouch
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

I am also going to suggest off body carry. Do really need it on you while driving the whole time? Something like this:

(not my car)

When you leave the car, just take it with you to the holster you are already carrying or have a quick detach one and take that.
    NickBurkhardt likes this.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I also do quite a bit of traveling for work and a shoulder holster works very well for me. I use mine very often and always when I'm traveling.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    I also do quite a bit of traveling for work and a shoulder holster works very well for me. I use mine very often and always when I'm traveling.
    Same. I travel a lot in trucks and on motorcycles. Traveling like that a good leather shoulder holster is worth its money.
    But im normally wearing a vest and if im not in my state and where im likely to be going if I took off the vest once there my shoulder rig being exposed wouldnt be a big deal. May not be the same for you.

If im crossing states where OC may not be legal then its 3 oclock iwb. Nothing fancy, just a soft suede Bianchi clip holster. I also carry a double stack 40 or 45. I dont like it as much because of the seat belt thing in a car but its doable and not uncomfortable.

Been thinking about a Remora or a Sticky though. Lot seem to like em. And they can be put cross draw or just stuck between the seat and console and from what i hear will stay put pretty much regardless though i havent tried one personally.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links