M&P Shield and Remora Holsters...

This is a discussion on M&P Shield and Remora Holsters... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, I have not been an active member here for a while, but have started spending more time here lately and have gathered some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: M&P Shield and Remora Holsters...

Hi All,
    I have not been an active member here for a while, but have started spending more time here lately and have gathered some great info!! I have been reading about Remora holsters over the last couple of months and I ordered one several weeks back. I have some information that some of you may find helpful and I wanted to pass it on.

I saw on the site and was told also that the 6ART was the model of holster that fits the Shield, so that is what I ordered. I received the holster and was really looking forward to using it!! I was very disappointed on the first day I used the holster with my Shield that almost every time I checked, the magazine was no longer secure in my gun and it was starting to fall out. This is not a good thing at all. I probably found it disengaged at least 6 times that day. My M&P 9c fit the holster PERFECT!! I started looking at the holster and found, IMHO, that the design of the 6ART presents a couple of problems with the Shield. The gun sits too low in the holster. This does not let you get good purchase on the grip of the gun, but worse yet, it lets the magazine release drop inside the holster. Now I have the reinforced top on my holsters which may have added to the problem, but with the mag release inside the holster, it was being pushed to the point that it was being released. I called and talked with Mike at Remora and he said that he was going to grab a piece of the material they use and basically custom make me a holster. This is exactly what he did and he absolutely nailed the holster. It is an awesome holster that I have worn now for a little over a week and have not had any problems at all. It is the most comfortable holster that I have ever owned and is also very secure!! If you are looking for a Remora holster for a M&P Shield, I HIGHLY recommend talking with Mike and asking for a holster like the one he made for me. My Shield and the Remora holster were made for each other!!

As has been talked about here, the customer service at Remora is second to none!! They really did go above and beyond to get me a holster that I was really happy with!! I am including a few pictures for you to see what they made for me.

Thanks for looking, Ron

_DSC5611.jpg_DSC5612.jpg_DSC5613.jpg_DSC5614.jpg
    Last edited by ront; February 25th, 2013 at 03:39 PM.
    Ransom likes this.
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like great customer service. I am glad to hear that, I just received my remora last week and have been loving it. However I know what you are talking about with it setting a little low in the holster. I have been thinking of jut putting a couple stitches below the barrel but I don't want to void the warranty.

Glad to hear you are loving it, the Remora really shines when you go jogging in a pair of sweatpants. :)
    RookWV likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ront View Post
    Hi All,
    I have not been an active member here for a while, but have started spending more time here lately and have gathered some great info!! I have been reading about Remora holsters over the last couple of months and I ordered one several weeks back. I have some information that some of you may find helpful and I wanted to pass it on.

I saw on the site and was told also that the 6ART was the model of holster that fits the Shield, so that is what I ordered. I received the holster and was really looking forward to using it!! I was very disappointed on the first day I used the holster with my Shield that almost every time I checked, the magazine was no longer secure in my gun and it was starting to fall out. This is not a good thing at all. I probably found it disengaged at least 6 times that day. My M&P 9c fit the holster PERFECT!! I started looking at the holster and found, IMHO, that the design of the 6ART presents a couple of problems with the Shield. The gun sits too low in the holster. This does not let you get good purchase on the grip of the gun, but worse yet, it lets the magazine release drop inside the holster. Now I have the reinforced top on my holsters which may have added to the problem, but with the mag release inside the holster, it was being pushed to the point that it was being released. I called and talked with Mike at Remora and he said that he was going to grab a piece of the material they use and basically custom make me a holster. This is exactly what he did and he absolutely nailed the holster. It is an awesome holster that I have worn now for a little over a week and have not had any problems at all. It is the most comfortable holster that I have ever owned and is also very secure!! If you are looking for a Remora holster for a M&P Shield, I HIGHLY recommend talking with Mike and asking for a holster like the one he made for me. My Shield and the Remora holster were made for each other!!

As has been talked about here, the customer service at Remora is second to none!! They really did go above and beyond to get me a holster that I was really happy with!!!! I am including a few pictures for you to see what they made for me.

Thanks for looking, Ron

_DSC5611.jpg_DSC5612.jpg_DSC5613.jpg_DSC5614.jpg
    I just purchased a Shield and need to start looking for a holster. Is that a pocket carry holster? It looks very interesting and sounds like the customer service is excellent.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

I have the same setup, but so far have not found same problem. MY problem with the Remora is that I have not found a "comfortable" location for it yet. Have tried wearing it at the 4 o'clock position as well as in "crossdraw fashion, at about the 11 o'clock position. None have been comfortable. Hmmm what am I missing here. Everyone that has one says they are a dream to wear. Mine is not. Clue me in please!! Thanks for all help, I need it.

Mine seems to work best and be the most comfortable at about 3:30 with a cant to the front. Hope this helps you.

I know what you mean, I haven't had a problem with the mag release but I do think the gun sits just a tad too far down, I was thinking of just packing the bottom with something like cloth to hold the gun up some. I have a J-frame holster for my wife, I may have to see what the Shield looks like in it.

And like zeke, 330 seems to be a nice spot for me.

I thought about padding mine also, but I decided I would just like a holster that fit right. On the bag for the 6AFT, it says the same holster fits the Shield and the M&P Compact. They are not the same size gun at all.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by RookWV View Post
    I know what you mean, I haven't had a problem with the mag release but I do think the gun sits just a tad too far down, I was thinking of just packing the bottom with something like cloth to hold the gun up some. I have a J-frame holster for my wife, I may have to see what the Shield looks like in it.

And like zeke, 330 seems to be a nice spot for me.
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    My Remora holster is supposed to arrive today for my Shield. Hopefully I won't have the same issue.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Ron, I've been using a Remora for my Shield 9 for about 4 months and it's been a great holster for me. Easy on and off and comfortable. I have never had my mag release like yours did, and I can see my 6ART holster goes right across the release button. Maybe it's because yours had the reinforced mouth, or maybe your mag release is a little more sensitive than mine, or maybe your hip has a pointy spot right there .

However I do have a complaint about mine--sometimes when I'm sitting in my office chair the back of the slide pokes me in the side. I can usually adjust it to make it stop, but it's still annoying at times. I noticed that your custom version of the holster covers all the way to the rear of the slide. That looks like it would be more comfortable to me. I plan to give Mike @ Remora a call to see if I can get one like yours. Thanks a lot for posting about this.

In reply to a couple of others:

@Tundra5.7 - Yes it is possible to use a Remora as a pocket holster, but it really shines as an IWB. The problem with using it in my pocket is it is too sticky and it covers too much of the gun. It's hard to get in there and when I pull it out, it pulls my pocket inside-out. I have a DeSantis Nemesis and it works much better as a pocket holster than the Remora IMO.

@Old Sarge - I position mine IWB with a slight cant, with the rear sight lined up with the seam down the outside leg of my jeans--that's at about 3:30. I find this very comfortable. It's also possible the Remora just doesn't work as well for your body type or size of pants.

Distinguished Member
    +1 for the 3:30 position, that is where it works best for me as well. I have also found that the holster can rub a little if it is against bare skin - it is more comfortable for me when I wear a undershirt between the holster and my skin.

Hi Ransom,
    The rear sites on my Shield are pretty sharp and they would be very uncomfortable if they were poking my side. With my Remora holster, they don't touch my skin at all. Very comfortable. I am sure that Mike can help you!

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Ron, I've been using a Remora for my Shield 9 for about 4 months and it's been a great holster for me. Easy on and off and comfortable. I have never had my mag release like yours did, and I can see my 6ART holster goes right across the release button. Maybe it's because yours had the reinforced mouth, or maybe your mag release is a little more sensitive than mine, or maybe your hip has a pointy spot right there .

However I do have a complaint about mine--sometimes when I'm sitting in my office chair the back of the slide pokes me in the side. I can usually adjust it to make it stop, but it's still annoying at times. I noticed that your custom version of the holster covers all the way to the rear of the slide. That looks like it would be more comfortable to me. I plan to give Mike @ Remora a call to see if I can get one like yours. Thanks a lot for posting about this.

In reply to a couple of others:

@Tundra5.7 - Yes it is possible to use a Remora as a pocket holster, but it really shines as an IWB. The problem with using it in my pocket is it is too sticky and it covers too much of the gun. It's hard to get in there and when I pull it out, it pulls my pocket inside-out. I have a DeSantis Nemesis and it works much better as a pocket holster than the Remora IMO.

@Old Sarge - I position mine IWB with a slight cant, with the rear sight lined up with the seam down the outside leg of my jeans--that's at about 3:30. I find this very comfortable. It's also possible the Remora just doesn't work as well for your body type or size of pants.
    Ransom likes this.
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Re: M&P Shield and Remora Holsters...

I've been inquiring about the best Remora holster for the Shield over on the SW forum. I was redirected here. I don't understand the lack of clear info on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingcontact View Post
    I've been inquiring about the best Remora holster for the Shield over on the SW forum. I was redirected here. I don't understand the lack of clear info on the matter.

What are you needing to know breakingcontact? I will sure help if I can!!

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

I purchased the Remora for both my Shield and LCP. Haven't had any issues with the mag release (non-reinforced). However, I do find them quite irritating against bare skin. It's really quite amazing how they retain their position IWB wherever you place them.
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

Re: M&P Shield and Remora Holsters...

Ron, I'm looking for the best fit for the gun. I've read on here where the one Remora suggests puts the pistol too deep then the sights snag on the draw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links