3 Speed Holster Ongoing Review

This is a discussion on 3 Speed Holster Ongoing Review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; According to Joe over at 3speedholster, it takes about a week for this holster to fully break in. There for this will be an ongoing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 3 Speed Holster Ongoing Review

According to Joe over at 3speedholster, it takes about a week for this holster to fully break in. There for this will be an ongoing review.

There are a few factors I feel will play a huge part so Iíll get those out of the way first. The most important factor is going to be the persons build. I have a small ectomorph frame, 5í9Ē 155lbs and I maintain single digit body fat nearly year round. Youíll see where this comes into play later. Secondly, Iím carrying an M&P9c and couldnít imagine anything with a longer barrel, which Iíll cover later as well.

Day 1, Initial thoughts:

I was very relieved at how small the back pad of the holster was upon opening the package. Iím assuming this has to do with it being made for a sub compact and not the full size version. The strap that goes around your body was long enough to go around me 1.5 times, but there are instructions on how to cut it to size, so no big deal there.

Once I sized the holster I strapped it on and headed to work for a 12 hour shift. First I gave deep concealment a try since thatís what this thing is ultimately made for. Other than knowing I have a little something extra down stairs it was extremely comfortable. Sitting in my office chair, walking around, squatting, kneeling etc was all pretty much normal. Having a 30Ē waist and wearing 32Ē pants I still found it a little tricky getting my hand down my pants fast. Iím sure like anything else in that region, practice makes perfect. There really isnít much else to say for deep concealment, since it doesnít really get in the way of anything when itís stuffed down that far.

Next I pulled the holster up to where the entire handle is sticking out of my pants. This way itís sitting as low as possible but right at the point where I can get a full grip on the draw. This is where the guys with the belly will most likely not find it comfortable. The back pad does an excellent job of keeping the gun from jabbing you, even when sitting down. When you sit, this is where any fat on your stomach is going to bunch up and itís going to push against the back of the holster. Iíd imagine if youíre over weight, this won't be comfortable. For us small framed, lean guys, itís not a problem at all.

I work in an office environment, so the temperature stays fairly regulated. At this point Iíve been wearing it for the first 11 hours and havenít had an issues with sweating or perspiration from the holster touching my skin. Although, I am in Afghanistan so Iíll have to give a follow up this summer.

I also drink a gallon of water a day so Iíve made nearly 5 trips to the urinal to drain the lizard thus far. The first 2 times were a bit challenging, but overall, not too bad. What I find easiest is to pull up on the back pad so the barrel clears way to pull the cow out of the barn. When youíre done, use one hand to hold the waist band out and simply tuck the holster right back to where it was. Itís pretty simple and can easily be done without lifting your shirt up. I havenít had to drop any friends off at the pool just yet, so Iíll add that at a later date.

Thatís it for the initial review. Iíll follow up with more info as the days go on. If you have any questions at all or want me to do any specific tests just let me know and Iíd be more than happy to do it for ya. I do plan on sleeping with it on at some point this week and I may even try doing some cardio wearing it as well. So stay tuned!
    Sheepdogbubba likes this.

Thanks, this is valuable info. I appreciate your attention to detail.

After the 2nd day of wearing the holster for 10-12 hours per day, I had to put it away temporarily. It became uncomfortable to wear without an undershirt which is what i'm going to cover today.

From the beginning, I planned on wearing an undershirt like an A-Shirt (wife beater) with this holster. As you may already know, I'm doing this review in Afghanistan and it's going to take 1-2 weeks for my undershirts to get here via usps, there for the review is being post poned until they get here. What I'm going to cover today isn't a deal breaker but it's certainly a design flaw that imo should be fixed.

I have a 30" waist and as you can see by looking at the photos, only half of the wasteband has the comfortable material. That thin edge on the velcro strip will dig and rub your skin after walking around, sitting/standing throughout the day. It boggles my mind that they'd use a bare piece of velcro instead of sewing the velcro onto a much softer material. I'm going to send Joe an e-mail regarding this and see if anything could be done about it.

Like I had mentioned before, if you wear an undershirt this won't matter but it certainly needs to be addressed.

Edit: I talked with Joe over at 3speedholster after updating this review. I gave him my suggestions to improve comfort and he said they're currently working on a few ideas to fix the issue. I'm going to hold on to my holster but later this year when the revision comes out I'll be sending it back to have the new strap sewn on :) Once my under shirts get here I'll continue the review as planned :D
    Attached Images
    Last edited by scottypimpin; March 4th, 2013 at 08:24 PM.

Sponsor
    Thanks for your feedback. I wish Iíd known you were having this issue so I couldíve helped you sooner. A friend saw your post and e-mailed it to me today. This isn't an issue for most people. If you have sensitive skin...the solution is to simply wear cotton boxer briefs underneath the strapÖproblem solved. I have sensitive skin...thatís what I do. The edges of the strap will soften up in a short time.

Also, some donít realize, every 3 Speed Holster is custom built to order based on each customers body frame. The rig runs 100% from the fast drawÖto comfort, versatility, and most importantlyÖsafetyÖno matter what your body size. With a ďbeer bellyĒ it actually runs even betterÖthe belly will only help conceal. The back plate will get you a clean smooth draw every time. More info about that at www.3SpeedHolster.com

The 3 Speed Holster was designed for and with the help of some of the best of the best in undercover law enforcement from many different agencies across the nation. This was a very serious and magical collaboration of labor and thought, three years of intense developmentÖand worth every minute. The 3 Speed Holster was designed from the ground up for self defense.

Our strap system was chosen for it's reliability, and conceal ability, and most importantly, function. At the end of the day ďresultsĒ is what wins. The strap system is a highly evolved and very fine tuned system. Thereís much more to it than meets the eye.

Joe Roger
    joe@3speedholster.com
    3 Speed Holster
    3050 NE 9th Ave.
    Ft Lauderdale, Fl

It’s been a while since I’ve updated the review, so here we go with a little more. I’d also like to take the time to say this review is nothing more than my personal opinion. Everything I say should be taken with a grain of salt. Not everything I like or dislike will be the same for everyone.

With that being said, I did complain about the edge of the strap on my last review. I also mentioned this holster may not work well for larger people. Again, that is my opinion and nothing more. I clearly don’t have a large waist, so I have no way to actually review that aspect of the holster.

With that out of the way, I’ll continue with more recent opinions. I did get the under shirts like I mentioned, they are thin black “A Shirts”, aka wife beaters. I’m not one to ever wear a wife beater by itself, but as an undershirt I find it very comfortable. Paired with this holster, it’s a dream come true. I can literally walk around an entire day wearing this holster and it doesn’t bother me the slightest bit. Some of you may or may not want/need an undershirt but if the strap does bother you, it’s a simple solution.

This is my holster of choice and here’s why.

#1 Comfortable appendix carry with multiple positions varying from waistband down to deep concealment.

#2 It holds an extra mag! Seriously, how many holsters have a mag carry built in? Hardly many.

#3 Joe and the team provide top notch support and will even chime in on the topic, as you’ve seen above.

If anyone has any questions for me, please reply to this topic. This will most likely be it for the review process, as I’ve done everything I could think of at this point. Once again, excellent holster 3speed, you have a very happy customer here.

Great! I've got one on the way.
    It's all part of the big picture.

Me too. Just ordered one the other day. To be honest I did not want a conventional rig. I am retired and 80% of the time I am in draw string shorts, the rest is Wrangler jeans. I wanted to keep costs low and did not want the expense of special CC clothing. I came down to Tactipac"Fusionpac", Remora 6ART-SS, Sticky MD-4 and of course 3 Speed. I might in the future P/U a Remora or Sticky Holster... but 3Speed was my final choice for main carry. Have patience with me. This is all new to me. But i will try to give a honest review of this product.

I ordered one because I'm heading to Italy on a trip in May. I read somewhere that the pickpockets are rampant where we will be. So I ordered a 3Speed, thinking that I'd just carry my wallet in it on my trip, then it will be another option to carry my XDs when I get back home. I'm looking forward to it!
    It's all part of the big picture.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I'm wondering, asking your opinions actually, if this would work under a pair of bib overalls? Position the weapon so you can get at it from right above the buttons, or through the button opening on the side, and wear this with bibs?

I tend to like bibs when I'm working in the yard or on the property, they're comfortable, and this might solve the carry issue. Currently I pocket carry when I have them on, but this may be a better solution?
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    I'm wondering, asking your opinions actually, if this would work under a pair of bib overalls? Position the weapon so you can get at it from right above the buttons, or through the button opening on the side, and wear this with bibs?

I tend to like bibs when I'm working in the yard or on the property, they're comfortable, and this might solve the carry issue. Currently I pocket carry when I have them on, but this may be a better solution?
    I don't wear bibs but I think it would depend on how your bib's are cut. I just did a google image search and from what I can tell, some are cut lower than others. If you can comfortably fit your hand in the front of the bib it shouldn't be an issue. There are two things I'd consider when wearing it during labor intensive work. If you're wearing the holster in your waistband you'll more than likely want to squat because bending over may not be very comfortable, since there will be a weapon where your body hinges. Carrying the weapon in deep concealment on the other hand allows complete freedom of movement so that's always a nice option to have.

One other thing that I have not tried is wearing it in a different position other than appendix. From my understanding you can wear it anywhere from 12-3 o'clock and so on. Your best bet would be to message Joe regarding that one.
    bigmacque likes this.

Thanks for the review
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

My first week with the 3Speed Holster. Received it Monday (4/8). gave it a good sizing and cut excess Velcro off (left about a 4" over hang). I am wearing it just above the beltline (Unbelted Jeans and in Drawstring Shorts) DSCN4581.jpg (Ruger R40C, extended magazine in mag pouch) One thing Scottypimpin is right about the Tees underneath, the Velcro does get a little itchy. I wore it around the house and in the neighborhood. Not even my wife noticed it, nor the neighbors. I need to work that draw "CONE' for the thumb more. I am really impressed that i can get a really good grip on the gun about 98% of the time (That will get better as the material softens, and I get better familiarized with it, this is my first gun and holster) The only problem i had really was in drawstring shorts when drawing the gun out , on rare occasion .. the actual draw string bows where getting caught on my hand. I am thinking of experimenting of carrying on strong side hip to see if i can pull that off with this holster. Anyway next week. I will take it out in the real world.

Just one note about "Draining The Lizard". (This will be G rated). In drawstring shorts this is real easy. I wear boxer briefs. I opt always for the private stall toilet rather than a public stand up urinal. I just raise the right side of my shorts up with the Boxerbriefs. I straddle the toilet, and then i lift the bottom of the 3 speed up slightly and out of the line of fire. And just GO. in jeans it's basically the same, but i need to drop the jeans.. so when in public restroom, i always wait for the stall.

Do you find that the holster gets hot after wearing it all day?

Quote Originally Posted by kdflyer View Post
    Do you find that the holster gets hot after wearing it all day?
    Against the skin yeah. With the undershirt it hasn't bothered me much. But then again I don't perspirate much to begin with unless it's insanely hot out.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links