Need some holster advice

This is a discussion on Need some holster advice within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been open carrying off and on for a few years, then got my concealed carry when it finally passed here in WI. I have ...

Thread: Need some holster advice

Need some holster advice

I've been open carrying off and on for a few years, then got my concealed carry when it finally passed here in WI. I have recently changed my style of dress for work, and am at a loss for which method of carry would be best for me. I am a plumbing contractor so I do lots of physical work so comfort is important as is conceal ability as I'm going into people's homes and would rather it stay well hidden.

Lately I've been using a belly band. It works alright but I have switched from an untucked t shirt to a button up tucked in uniform type shirt to look more professional. It just worries me because it doesn't have the greatest retention just slides in there. I would love to carry a large gun but I feel I am limited due to the positions I find myself in. The trades jobs are probably some of the worst for carrying concealed. I currently carry a p238.

Ay suggestions on solutions that remain concealed with a tucked in shirt and are fairly comfortable would be appreciated

2. Remove Ads

Hiding J Hook

Something like this, pocket carry, or ankle carry. All would work with your pistol.

Which belly band are you using?

Sponsor
    Take a look at SHTF Gear Holsters. Tuckable, and you have the option of brown or black clips, and tuckable leather belt loops.

Sig P238 ACE-2 Holster

Very comfortable for all day wear and will make your P238 disappear.

-Clay

Quote Originally Posted by Danjojo View Post
    Hiding J Hook

Something like this, pocket carry, or ankle carry. All would work with your pistol.

Which belly band are you using?
    This one here
    Belly Band Holster - The Original Bellyband - Concealment Holsters

The pocket is far to big for my gun, but I suppose that's more a function of the one I bought.

try Kramer's "holster shirt" this is a mesh t-shirt with a pocket under each arm that can hold a small gun (and your p238 certainly qualifies).

Kangaroo Carry's "Air Marshall" is supposed to work similarly except it's a holster you can wear separately (i think).

or how about simple pocket carry? in a proper holster you should easily be able to carry a 238 in a front pocket of virtually any pair of pants. i wouldn't recommend rear pocket carry for you because even a small gun would likely 'print' in some positions that you would be required to assume.

a crotch holster. yes, it sounds ridiculous, but for a small gun this carry method has advantages, chief among them being the fact that we have inhibitions against staring at a person's crotch area. such a holster is usually a cloth pouch with a velcro fastened belt that goes around your waist and holds the gun behind your pants' fly. the gun is drawn by reaching into your pants at the waist, not through the fly.

finally, consider a belt pouch designed for firearm carry. if it's just plain without any 'gunny' logos or brand names, it should look innocuous like a cell phone case.

remember, ""deep concealment" does not go along with "fast access", so try to stay alert enough to have plenty of notice that you might require your firearm.

The pocket is far to big for my gun
    Retention will always be poor if the holster is too big for the gun.

I carry a P238 in a Galco bellyband that's sized for the P238. I haven't had any problems at all with retention, and this is my standard summer carry for barn and yard work.

If you prefer "locked in" retention that's comfortable and works with a tucked-in shirt, go with a hybrid tuckable. Crossbreed, Theis, Old Faithful, SHTF, and many others are offering this style of holster.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Links