Holster Question

Holster Question

This is a discussion on Holster Question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking at getting a new holster for my M&P Shield. Now I am just using a Remora holster for IWB. I am looking at ...

Thread: Holster Question

Holster Question

I'm looking at getting a new holster for my M&P Shield. Now I am just using a Remora holster for IWB. I am looking at a kydex holsters vs hybrid holsters. I was just wondering you guys have any good articles comparing the two, or if you guys have a tips on choosing between the two. I know there is a lot of personal preference involved, but I'd like some help choosing between the two.
    Thanks, Nick

VIP Member
    For something as small as a Shield, I think you'd be alright either way.

For me, where the major difference comes in is with larger, full sized guns. I find that the leather on a hybrid will help stabilize the load. That is, it will help keep it from shifting. I have found that a full kydex rig holding a FS handgun will tend to shift slightly as I move about. On smaller guns I don't notice any shifting with either set up.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Ok thanks. Do you notice a big difference in comfort between the kydex and the hybrid?

VIP Member
    Personal issue, really. Much of the comfort factor depends on positioning and how tight you wear your belt. I am comfortable either way or I wouldn't carry with that particular rig.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Comp-tac should be able to help you out.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

VIP Member
    I chose the MaxTuck from White Hat Holsters Concealed Handgun Holsters and Holster Parts & Accessories - White Hat

MaxTuck Black Cowhide-172.jpg

I've been very pleased with the quality and the comfort.

One of the main reasons I chose the MaxTuck was the added benefit of their interchangeable kydex system. In about 2 minutes I can swap out the kydex and carry any of my guns. The replacement kydex starts at $19.95 so it is very economical. You buy one holster and then for under $20 you have a quality holster (which is already broken in) for any gun in your collection.

I thought about getting a full kydex holster but I thought I would be more comfortable with the leather against me than the kydex especially since I live in a warm area. A piece of kydex resting against my skin all day while being in the hot Texas sun didn't seem like it would be a good combination for me.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Sponsor
    RoadRunner71 is definitely right about the size of that gun helping you out. I haven't had any personal experience with full kydex holsters. Just leather and hybrids. That being said, I really like the hybrid design. the SHTF Gear ACE-1 is one of the narrowest two clip hybrids on the market, so it won't add a lot of extra bulk. Here is one for your handgun.

S&W M&P Shield ACE-1 Holster

Thanks,
    Clay

Links