Hybrid IWB thoughts on Thies vs. SHTF

This is a discussion on Hybrid IWB thoughts on Thies vs. SHTF within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking at hybrid holsters for a G26 (lefty) and cannot readily see any major differences between the major players (Crossbreed, White hat, Theis, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hybrid IWB thoughts on Thies vs. SHTF

Hybrid IWB thoughts on Thies vs. SHTF

I've been looking at hybrid holsters for a G26 (lefty) and cannot readily see any major differences between the major players (Crossbreed, White hat, Theis, SHTF). I'm looking for a holster that has adjustable cant and is tuckable. Height adjustment would be nice too but most that are cant-adjustable are height adjustable too. I will probably be buying a Remora with a sweat shield as well and my eventually try a N82 Tactical Professional.

Having said all this, I've narrowed things down to a Theis and SHTF based on price alone. Does anyone have experience with these? Are their any viable difference between the two (or any of these hybrids in general)? Also, is the horsehide worth the $1o (typical) upgrade?

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Ads

I have a Theis that I really like no expierence with SHTF. I have one cowhide and one horsehide for different guns and I cant tell the difference.

I recently ordered the ACE-1 from SHTF. I will report back when it gets here. Lead time played a part in my decision.

I had a Crossbreed Supertuck that my dog decided was a good rawhide chew (bad puppy!). Crossbreed doesn't make them for my carry anymore so I got a Theis - I am pleased and impressed with his work, speed and service.

I recently picked up a CrossBreed in a trade for a really good price since it fit my gun. Got it home and did some research and it wasn't what I wanted. I called them and we determined what model it was, but they don't make it like that anymore. When I mentioned I wanted a Super Tuck and asked about the delivery time, he mentioned I could send mine in, it would go in as a warranty job. So I sent mine in and $40 and will be getting a new Super tuck in a few days.
    I thought this was great customer service. I will know how the holster is after I get the new one.

Good luck!

be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

I have a CrossBreed SuperTuck w/ Horsehide for my M&P 40c it's a comfortable holster, you won't notice much difference between cowhide and horsehide leather the only difference is the horsehide is a tighter grain leather so it is more moisture resistant which is why I chose the horsehide over the cowhide. I definitely recommend you get that Remora you were considering I carry the Remora #6ART-SS w/ Remora-Hyde (leather liner) everyday. I usually only wear the CrossBreed when dressing up and have a shirt tucked in, which Remora makes a tuckable option now too so I might have to get a hold of one of those in the near future. I never thought the Remora would become my EDC holster over the CrossBreed when I bought it but after wearing it for the first time I instantly fell in love. It is just so easy to throw on on your way out the door, or even just lounging around the house in sweatpants which wasn't possible before.

As far as Theis or SHTF I think either one will serve you well, both are similar designs. Have you considered White Hat Holsters? They now make a BaseMax for $45 for natural cowhide or $55 for the natural horsehide if that's something your interested in, it's the same as their popular MaxTuck except they made it more affordable by not staining the leather and the kydex is attached with rivets instead of screws so it's not interchangeable for other kydex molds like the MaxTuck is. Other than that it has all the features as the other hybrids on the market, adjustable, tuckable etc.

http://www.whitehatholsters.com

Good luck

I have a Foxx holsters hybrid and the little foxx. LOVE them both. I have talked to Clay from SHTF and will have some of their products very very soon and will be doing an extensive review of said products, but until then I cannot comment for them SHTF has a very fast turnaround as does foxx. Others are on 6-8 week+ leade times right now. Foxx Holsters is about a 7 day lead time, here are links to my reviews.
    Foxx Holster Little Foxx IWB Review
    Foxx Holsters Hybrid IWB review.
    WINTEJER000 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    Well I'll add this, I have no experience with either of them. I carry in an all kydex rig, but if I were going to try a hybrid holster, I'd get one from SHTF.

I've looked at a number of them and I like the minimal footprint of the SHTF. If you haven't checked out their Facebook page, have a look there and you'll see some good photos that illustrate how minimal they are. Plus, SHTF is a supporting vendor here, which is also a bonus, IMO.

Either way, I'm sure you'll be happy. Almost all these guys turn out a quality product and really stand behind their work. Just make sure which ever way you go, that they do have a good guarantee/warranty in case you have issues.

Good luck!

Oh, and double check for discounts! NRA, LEO, etc. Every little bit helps!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    ...As far as Theis or SHTF I think either one will serve you well, both are similar designs. Have you considered White Hat Holsters? They now make a BaseMax for $45 for natural cowhide or $55 for the natural horsehide if that's something your interested in, it's the same as their popular MaxTuck except they made it more affordable by not staining the leather and the kydex is attached with rivets instead of screws so it's not interchangeable for other kydex molds like the MaxTuck is. Other than that it has all the features as the other hybrids on the market, adjustable, tuckable etc.

Concealed Handgun Holsters and Holster Parts & Accessories - White Hat

Good luck
    Don't be "penny wise and pound foolish."

If you invest in a quality holster like the MaxTuck from White Hat Holsters right from the start, you will be pleased with your decision and you might end up spending less in the long run if you change your carry weapon since White Hat Holsters offers a great flexible system with their interchangeable kydex.

MaxTuck Black Cowhide-172.jpg
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I've had my ACE-1 SHTF holster for about a month now and I love it. Very little print, high quality and definitely easier on the wallet than some of the competition.
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

I have a Theis IWB holster and love it, love it. Of course, I have no experience with the other holsters so take that with a granule of salt.

VIP Member
    I have about 8 Tommy Theis holsters and they work great. If you don't like it he will be happy to fix it or give you your money back.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I have had a Theise hybrid for two months now. It broke in nicely and is now very comfortable. I wear it at 4:00. I chose to go the horsehide route just because from what I read it resists sweat better and this was an issue for me in summers. overall i love the holster and highly recommend it! Tommy was really quick and the product is top notch. My gun is an M&P 9c. I have no experience with SHTF...

Distinguished Member Array Phaedrus's Avatar
    I was faced with the same dilemma when I bough my Bersa BP9CC. The gun is fairly new to market and there aren't many holsters for it yet. Two that stood out to me where the SHTF and the Tommy Theis. It was pretty much a toss up; the SHTF was a little less expensive, but I really wanted horsehide so I decided to go with the Theis. I kind of have mixed feelings about it. The service was great and the holster well made but I can't say it's very comfortable for me. I have it a few weeks to break in but it kind of jabs me in the gizzard and is very, very uncomfortable when I sit down. But I still hold out some hope that it will work. First off, placement is key. I think I'm finally getting a handle on where to wear it for comfort, and it's getting better. I also haven't done enough work with adjusting it yet. Lastly, I've unfortunately put on a few pounds of winter flab. Most of my problems with the holster are probably due to some pudge. I've been pretty diligently working the weight off, so we'll see.

I should point out that I also ordered the leather loops from SHTF. I think they'll probably attach to my Theis. The SHTF loops seem a lot better than the Kydex clips from Theis. Shipping from SHTF was super fast and all the questions I've asked have been promptly answered. I'd have to problem with either company. For variety I might try a SHTF rig for my Nano. We'll see how the blubber battle goes first!

Thanks all for your great feedback! I love this forum.

I had not considered the Foxx holsters before but like what they have...as usual just when I think I have something narrowed down...another great product pops up. Thanks again for all the feedback it has helped me tremendously!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links